C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 suspension question

Old 10-19-2011, 10:25 PM
NSANEC6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z51 suspension question

Okay guys please don't beat me up. I am a complete noob. Just trying to learn more about my car and make some improvements. I have 2009 Z51 coupe. This car comes with sway bars in the Z51 package correct? The best upgrade for suspension and handling would be coil overs? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2011, 11:24 PM
frankgtb
Instructor

if you mean highter cornering speeds then stiffer bars and springs and stickie and or bigger tires will all help
Old 10-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

What is "best" depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

A "street-only" car would be set up differently fron a "street-track" car and very differently from a "track-only" car.

Almost anything you do to help in one of those categories, will hurt in the others.

For a street car that gets occasional use in autocross or HPDE, you have a good start already.

When you can afford it, get better tires. Michelin PS2 runflats, or some good non-runflat if you like long walks in the country.

Set alignment to 0 toe front & rear.
.5 negative camber in front
.3 negative camber in rear
Other alignments will give more grip but your tires will die quicker.

Have the shop flush your brake fluid, DOT3 is ok with stock pads, DOT4 gives more margin against boiling.

Then before doing anything else, get some instruction in autocross or HPDE, whatever suits your desires.

Enjoy!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
What is "best" depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

A "street-only" car would be set up differently fron a "street-track" car and very differently from a "track-only" car.

Almost anything you do to help in one of those categories, will hurt in the others.

For a street car that gets occasional use in autocross or HPDE, you have a good start already.

When you can afford it, get better tires. Michelin PS2 runflats, or some good non-runflat if you like long walks in the country.

Set alignment to 0 toe front & rear.
.5 negative camber in front
.3 negative camber in rear
Other alignments will give more grip but your tires will die quicker.

Have the shop flush your brake fluid, DOT3 is ok with stock pads, DOT4 gives more margin against boiling.

Then before doing anything else, get some instruction in autocross or HPDE, whatever suits your desires.

Enjoy!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:03 AM
NSANEC6
Drifting

Thank you. Seems I am in good shape for street and maybe an Hpde. I have the michelins already on the car. Will look into the alignment and brake fluid pointers.

Have a great weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 suspension question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z51 suspension question