C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL and "Service Traction System"

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default CEL and "Service Traction System"

I posted this in C6Z06 but was hoping someone else would have some real experience or have a good idea whats going on:

Since my new motor was installed I have been getting CEL with the Traction Light and DIC "Service Traction System"

The Throttle Positon Sensor was replaced as the OBII indicated that was the reason the car was running rough and tripping CEL and DIC messages.

The car now runs smoothly but the CEL/DIC keeps coming back. It seems like it takes about 30 miles of driving to trigger the event. The car was road tested a few times by dealer and all seemed fine, but they only drive it about 10 miles.

I am able to place the car in Comp Mode while the CEL and DIC are displayed.

So does anyone know what the problem is?

Is the car safe to drive at the track in this condition??

DH
Old 11-04-2011, 09:42 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Howie, are you running a speed density tune by any chance?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Howie, are you running a speed density tune by any chance?
Hey Bill

No its completely stock. Got rid of my HPTuner stuff with my C5.

DH
Old 11-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Dirty Howie,
I'm going to monitor this thread. Let us know what you find out.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin
Old 11-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Tikiman12
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sometimes the ground wire that is attached to the Starter will come close and cause this problem. Check all of the grounds for that matter.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Check your brake fluid level.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I posted this in C6Z06 but was hoping someone else would have some real experience or have a good idea whats going on:

Since my new motor was installed I have been getting CEL with the Traction Light and DIC "Service Traction System"

The Throttle Positon Sensor was replaced as the OBII indicated that was the reason the car was running rough and tripping CEL and DIC messages.

The car now runs smoothly but the CEL/DIC keeps coming back. It seems like it takes about 30 miles of driving to trigger the event. The car was road tested a few times by dealer and all seemed fine, but they only drive it about 10 miles.

I am able to place the car in Comp Mode while the CEL and DIC are displayed.

So does anyone know what the problem is?

Is the car safe to drive at the track in this condition??

DH
When I installed a Vette Air scoop and an Attack Blue filter element on my stock Z06, I would get the "service traction Control" and "service active handling' along with the CEL with terrible surging. First I removed the Attack Blue filter and put the OE Donaldson PowerCore filter element back in. That got rid of most of the surging and got rid of the CEL and the two warnings(most of the time). I then made a diffuser plate to keep the air being discharged from the Vette-Air from hitting the face of the stock filter head on. Turbulence across the MAF was causing my problems. GM has a TSB that addresses this problem. Air leaks around the base of the radiator shroud and from holes in the bumper beam can cause this turbulence that will set the codes.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Dirty Howie,
I'm going to monitor this thread. Let us know what you find out.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin
Justin

I have always been happy with my dealership (Paradise Cheverolet in Ventura California). I'm sure they will get to the bottom of this. But since they just put a new GM engine my car I know there are some might be some little gremlin causing this such as a bad wheel sensor or shorting wire. My SR is off for a few days so I am going to call the SM and see what he thinks and make sure its safe to drive my car. It sure feels good to have it back and with a brand new motor as well.

It is obvious to me by your presence and GM's warranty policy that you guys really care about us customers. I'm sure GM is winning many life time customers ( I was already one before, this is my 6th Vette)

GM

DH
Old 11-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Check your brake fluid level.
Are you serious ?? It was full when I gave them the car but I will check tomorrow ..............

DH
Old 11-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JoesC5
When I installed a Vette Air scoop and an Attack Blue filter element on my stock Z06, I would get the "service traction Control" and "service active handling' along with the CEL with terrible surging. First I removed the Attack Blue filter and put the OE Donaldson PowerCore filter element back in. That got rid of most of the surging and got rid of the CEL and the two warnings(most of the time). I then made a diffuser plate to keep the air being discharged from the Vette-Air from hitting the face of the stock filter head on. Turbulence across the MAF was causing my problems. GM has a TSB that addresses this problem. Air leaks around the base of the radiator shroud and from holes in the bumper beam can cause this turbulence that will set the codes.
My car is completely stock including the air filter. But it is possible that the install of the radiator shroud is not correct. I doubt this very much as my dealership had this issue before. But I will check.

DH
Old 11-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Tikiman12
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol yeah hes serious about the brake fluid, if its low it will cause the AH to say "service"
Old 11-04-2011, 04:26 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Are you serious ?? It was full when I gave them the car but I will check tomorrow ..............

DH
It happened to me. All kinds of warnings about service active handling, trac control, and then finally some message about brake fluid(?), I can't remember. It was low, but not real low. Topped it off and it was cured.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

It happened to me. All kinds of warnings about service active handling, trac control, and then finally some message about brake fluid(?), I can't remember. It was low, but not real low. Topped it off and it was cured.
Well my dealer would have had to drain the fluid some how becuase mine is checked and bled at least every month and kept on the full mark.

Also the waring is always the same ........... 'SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM". Nothing else and nothing about AH/TC. But the TC dash light does come on and off

I will be checking tommorrow

DH
Old 11-06-2011, 01:58 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Brake fluid was full

DH
Old 11-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Codes found:

P0300: Misfire

P0430: Cat Passenger side

Oiled cat from engine failure makes sense.

Misfire worries me cause I don't know if this was when engine blew or after. Maybe in happened when car stalled or during limp mode ??

There were no codes found in the BCM

Putting some g-force load seems to trigger the DIC message "Service Traction System" and lights up the Traction Control lamp.

DH
Old 11-06-2011, 08:28 PM
WhippledSilverado
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having having a similar problem. Under full throttle only and it has to be above 75 I get the Service Traction System light coming on and the SEL flashes a misfire. I back out of the throttle and afte a few seconds it all goes away and everything is good.

I had to replace my starter though, so checking that ground wire sounds like a very good place for me to start.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WhippledSilverado
I am having having a similar problem. Under full throttle only and it has to be above 75 I get the Service Traction System light coming on and the SEL flashes a misfire. I back out of the throttle and afte a few seconds it all goes away and everything is good.

I had to replace my starter though, so checking that ground wire sounds like a very good place for me to start.
How do you know its flashing a misfire ???????????????

DH

Get notified of new replies

To CEL and "Service Traction System"

Old 11-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

How do you know its flashing a misfire ???????????????

DH
If the CEL is flashing it usually indicates a misfire condition which will disable Traction Control.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Born 53 (09-21-2019)
Old 11-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Codes found:

P0300: Misfire

P0430: Cat Passenger side

Oiled cat from engine failure makes sense.

Misfire worries me cause I don't know if this was when engine blew or after. Maybe in happened when car stalled or during limp mode ??

There were no codes found in the BCM

Putting some g-force load seems to trigger the DIC message "Service Traction System" and lights up the Traction Control lamp.

DH
As I said in the previous post a misfire code will disable Traction Control. Misfire could be a spark plug wire issue.

My right side cat has the same code after the engine replacement. Been driving with it that way since 10/11/11 and haven't seen a Service Traction Message. Have been waiting for parts for over a week.

Bill
Old 11-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
As I said in the previous post a misfire code will disable Traction Control. Misfire could be a spark plug wire issue.

My right side cat has the same code after the engine replacement. Been driving with it that way since 10/11/11 and haven't seen a Service Traction Message. Have been waiting for parts for over a week.

Bill
Are they replacing the cat ??

It was flashing for a couple of days but then the CEL has been on steady.

Funny you should say plug wire. I was going to have them replace them and then forgot .......

DH

Quick Reply: CEL and "Service Traction System"