C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Grand Sport Convertible Top Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Default 2011 Grand Sport Convertible Top Problem

Purchased 2011 GS last OCT and did the Museum delivery option. When we picked up the car,, it was flawless and ALL the body panels were great.

SO,, a month or so ago, I noticed that the rear deck lid that the Convertible Top sits on when its UP, now sits slightly below the trunk lid on the drivers side and the drivers side body panel when the top is UP. IF,, I pop the top and lower it, that deck lid returns to flush!

I'm currently in Rota Spain and I cant measure the mismatch or take pictures of it but, if I had to make an educated calculation, it would be 1/8" lower than the trunk. Its very noticable!

I took the car to the Dealership with that complaint as well as several other very minor cosmetic warranty covered issues.

When I got the car back, the body shop stated that they didn't see any issues with the top deck lid. Boy was I pissed.

I had the service manager come out to the car and showed her the issue. She was very understanding and said she would personally show the body shop manager the issue when I returned to have it repaired.

Picked the car up from the SECOND repair attempt and she said that they DO NOT know of any adjustment to the lid or the top correct the problem that I'm having.

If there are ANY power top pros that can explain what is happening and if there is a fix or an adjustment for it, I would be grateful.

If you have a convertable, can you look and see if you have a simular issue when the top is UP???

As soon as I get home next week, I will snap some pictures

Thanks

Bill Curlee
Old 11-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

There is an adjustment in the top which adjusts how hard the top pushes back on the rear deck lid when it is closed, it has a heim joint arrangement. I just looked at it on my car.

If the dealer can't help I'm sure a convertible top shop could do it in a minute.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:15 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

On my 2006, with the top up the tonneau cover is flush with the trunk lid and just slightly (maybe 1/16") below both quarter panels at the rear edge of the doors. Not noticeable until someone points it out, now I'll see it every time I look at the car! Thanks a lot, Bill. (j/k)
Old 11-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

John

THIS IS MY WIFES CAR!!! So,, she notices EVERY Day. So,, it is a big deal.

Look at it this way. Joe_G already said that there is a specific adjustment.

Now all we have to do is make the proper adjustment!

From other Vert Top posts that Ive read,, those Heim joints are pretty fragile!!

Thanks guys

This is our vert FIEST Vert. All the years I had vettes, Ive ALWAYS skipped right over the Vert Top post. Hmmmmm Now look where Im at.

Thanks for the great information!

Bill
Old 11-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

My 2011 has the same issue. The dealer won't be able to fix and more then likely make it worse...

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 Grand Sport Convertible Top Problem

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Sport Convertible Top Problem