C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Tires for GTO Spares?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:15 AM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Street Tires for GTO Spares?

I tried searching could find much? Was wondering are there any street radial to use with GTO spares up front or do I just have to make this a drag setup only. Whats safe and what is not? How would street radials react to MT ET Street in the back as far as stability of the car or vise versa. Just looking for who else has done this setup.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:08 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You can run an M&H 185/55/17 radial that isn't bias ply and is much better for street use and can be driven in the wet without kililng you
Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
You can run an M&H 185/55/17 radial that isn't bias ply and is much better for street use and can be driven in the wet without kililng you

I've seen a few people using the Hoosier skinny radials as well:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOO-19055/?rtype=10
Old 11-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I just run the temp tires...probably have 500 miles on them up and back to the track so far.

Your results may vary but I've been fine.

Just remember you have them on when you go around turns...they don't handle like your stock tires, not at all. You'll feel them pushing around turns you normally don't even think about (like exit ramps).
Old 11-09-2011, 11:51 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I just run the temp tires...probably have 500 miles on them up and back to the track so far.

I've seen others using them as well, even trapping 125+ with them on occasion too.
One of the main issues with that approach is that some of the tracks have become aware that people use these things for track duty and I've seen tech inspectors actually check the tires to make sure people are running true race (and/or DOT approved) tires on their spare rims.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I've seen others using them as well, even trapping 125+ with them on occasion too.
One of the main issues with that approach is that some of the tracks have become aware that people use these things for track duty and I've seen tech inspectors actually check the tires to make sure people are running true race (and/or DOT approved) tires on their spare rims.
Yes that's something to keep in mind. Frankly, just like the law is what any given judge says it is on any given day, tech is what any given tech inspector says it is on any given day. There is a rule book. Its interpretation is up to the inspector at hand.

My only advice on that is, what my grandma told me, you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. It amazes me how many people seemed to not get that lesson as children.

While they are certainly DOT approved for on highway use (obviously if you think about it, a DOT rating has to be better than a "off-highway use only" rating (like my lawnmower's or my bias ply non-dot tires I used to have say) they are shown as "temp use only". I looked, mine do not have a speed rating.

Now I'd say 1/4 at at a time is certainly temporary use!

Since I've read that the failure of tires is due to heat buildup, which is a function of time at speed, I would never use these for the Miami Mile runs.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:20 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Yes that's something to keep in mind. Frankly, just like the law is what any given judge says it is on any given day, tech is what any given tech inspector says it is on any given day. There is a rule book. Its interpretation is up to the inspector at hand.

My only advice on that is, what my grandma told me, you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. It amazes me how many people seemed to not get that lesson as children.

While they are certainly DOT approved for on highway use (obviously if you think about it, a DOT rating has to be better than a "off-highway use only" rating (like my lawnmower's or my bias ply non-dot tires I used to have say) they are shown as "temp use only". I looked, mine do not have a speed rating.

Since I've read that the failure of tires is due to heat buildup, which is a function of time at speed, I would never use these for the Miami Mile runs.
on all counts.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

on all counts.
I've noticed we often do.

Must be the accountant in us!
Old 11-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Dennis50njJR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I've seen a few people using the Hoosier skinny radials as well:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOO-19055/?rtype=10
When mine wear out these are what I plan to buy.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:31 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Thanks Guys great info.

I am actually painting my wagon wheels black now to get ready for the gto spares.

Last edited by corvet786c; 11-09-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:32 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

I have no doubt they'll be fine for short bursts, but I don't think I'd be comfortable driving them at 75mph to/from the track....

....and they look absolutely ridiculous on the car due to their height, or lack of it.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Dennis50njJR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well as far as im concerned, I wouldnt trust those spares on my 60k car. But thats me. If you can afford a vette you can afford a set of CCWs or Bogarts etc. what would you rather pay for wheels? or a new vette? Because if you crash at the track your beat, your Insurance wont pay to replace your car. So its something to definately think about. Just because your car is fine and has been fine doesnt mean it will continue to be fine.
Years ago at the age of 18 I had a front tire blow out on me at over 100mph its no picnic. you could hear my butt slam shut from the bleachers. I managed to stay calm and get the car under control. I promise once something like that happens to you youll def change your opinion on the matter.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:40 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dennis50njJR
Well as far as im concerned, I wouldnt trust those spares on my 60k car. But thats me. If you can afford a vette you can afford a set of CCWs or Bogarts etc.
There's no issue in running the GTO spare.

I've actually seen and heard about more issues with Bogarts than the GTO spares (which I've heard not a single issue with).

If you want to spend money just because you think you have an expensive car, be my guest, but there's no reason not to trust the spare.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:53 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Just to be clear is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?...on=show_detail
Old 11-09-2011, 03:20 PM
theofel
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'13

I use the gto spare tires also. About 1500 miles on them without issue.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:48 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

That rule book clearly states no temporary tires. It also states that metal valve stems are required on cars quicker than 11.99. Nearly all the rules are there to provide a higher degree of safety. Enforcement is an entirely different issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Street Tires for GTO Spares?

Old 11-10-2011, 01:52 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've heard Firebird in Phoenix is cracking down on the metal valve stem deal.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:10 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

I've noticed we often do.

Must be the accountant in us!

There's no issue in running the GTO spare.

I've actually seen and heard about more issues with Bogarts than the GTO spares (which I've heard not a single issue with).
But he probably does have a point when it comes to the tires, the actual spare wheels themselves, as funky as they may look on some cars, are pretty damn safe/strong though. And they'd obviously have to be to be able to handle a 3800/3900 pound (with driver) vehicle such as a GTO, on a much lighter Corvette their strength would be almost overkill.

Originally Posted by corvet786c
Just to be clear is this the one you are talking about?

No, those are bias ply and a little less 'street friendly'...these are the ones he was referring to:
Old 11-10-2011, 04:54 AM
corvet786c
Drifting

But he probably does have a point when it comes to the tires, the actual spare wheels themselves, as funky as they may look on some cars, are pretty damn safe/strong though. And they'd obviously have to be to be able to handle a 3800/3900 pound (with driver) vehicle such as a GTO, on a much lighter Corvette their strength would be almost overkill.

No, those are bias ply and a little less 'street friendly'...these are the ones he was referring to:
OK Great Thanks

Quick Reply: Street Tires for GTO Spares?