C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New brake pads rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:17 PM
jscpsu
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New brake pads rubbing

2010 C6 stock. Bought 4 new Delco slotted rotors and Hawk Street performance pads. Took them to a guy I got from Tire Rack to install who was favorably recommended on their site. When I picked the car up, he told me there was a rubbing sound. He said because the original pads were smooth and these were rough it happens sometimes. He said the rubbing should (not would) go away in a couple hundred miles. The pads are rubbing slightly just driving slowly and much more noticeably when the brakes are applied. I went to the hawk site and followed their break- in instructions, but that made no difference. Should I just wait for 200 miles and see what happens? He told me if I wanted to go back to factory pads, buy them and he would install them at no charge, but that seems foolish since the Hawk pads are recommended by many on this site.
Thanks for any help.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

You do know they are supposed to rub when you apply the brake? I am not sure what you mean by rubbing. Sometimes new pads are very tight in the calipers and even when your foot isn't on the brake pedal they are still making some contact with rotor and make a rubbing sound. If the rotor has some run out you may hear a slight variation in the sound as the wheel turns. The slotted rotor may make more noise as the edges of the slots rub on the pads. Are the rotors getting excessively hot? If they aren't, let the pads wear in some more and see what happens. What pads did you have installed? HPS, HP Plus?

Bill
Old 12-02-2011, 01:31 AM
jscpsu
Cruising

Pads are HPS. I do understand how brakes work. Rotors aren't getting excessively hot. Your explanation about slot edges seems very likely and they might also be very tight in the calipers. I'll follow the installers advice and see what happens after a couple of hundred miles. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:36 AM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the metal clips that go between the pads and bracket possibly touching the edge of the rotor? I know when I installed my pads they would touch and required a little bend to clear the rotor. Others have reported the same thing.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Buy-Low
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Ceramic pads were rubbing/annoying for some time but eventually the rubbing went away. Think it has something to so with a coating they put on them at factory
Old 12-04-2011, 02:06 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

did you "bed the brakes" do a search or read the instructions that came from Hawk. what a concept!
Old 12-04-2011, 02:07 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Buy-Low
My Ceramic pads were rubbing/annoying for some time but eventually the rubbing went away. Think it has something to so with a coating they put on them at factory
NO! you didn't bed them ether.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:05 PM
jscpsu
Cruising

I went to the Hawk site and followed the bedding to the letter. Then, just to make sure, I did it again the next day. No change. As I said earlier, I will drive for 200 miles or so as recommended and re-evaluate at that point. We'll see then.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:41 PM
gaphono
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did this problem resolve itself with some miles?

Get notified of new replies

To New brake pads rubbing

Quick Reply: New brake pads rubbing