C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help identifying a wire on the starter. (service charging system)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 12:43 AM
tarik916
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help identifying a wire on the starter. (service charging system)

My car started to display the "service charging system" warning today, after my first run at the track. I replaced the alternator, checked the horn, and the battery will take a charge using jumper cables. The only think I can think of, is a disconnect between the alternator and battery. My volt gauge in the dash never goes above 10 or 11, and does not increase with RPM. Instead, it slowly drops as I drive the car until the batter is dead again.

While feeling around the starter, I found this wire just hanging there, so I pulled it to the front for a closer look.

I found the same wire on another website, connected to the starter.

My battery has been relocated to the back, and I am not sure whether or not this wire was removed during the relocation, or if it broke off today.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:59 AM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tarik916
My car started to display the "service charging system" warning today, after my first run at the track. I replaced the alternator, checked the horn, and the battery will take a charge using jumper cables. The only think I can think of, is a disconnect between the alternator and battery. My volt gauge in the dash never goes above 10 or 11, and does not increase with RPM. Instead, it slowly drops as I drive the car until the batter is dead again.

While feeling around the starter, I found this wire just hanging there, so I pulled it to the front for a closer look.

I found the same wire on another website, connected to the starter.

My battery has been relocated to the back, and I am not sure whether or not this wire was removed during the relocation, or if it broke off today.
That is most likely the problem. That lighter gauge wire on that starter terminal ,[ along with the larger bat. cable], is the alternator connection to the battery.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:41 PM
tarik916
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by REVAK
That is most likely the problem. That lighter gauge wire on that starter terminal ,[ along with the larger bat. cable], is the alternator connection to the battery.
I figured it was the cause. When I removed the nut on the starter, the broken clip was revealed. All fixed.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Need help identifying a wire on the starter. (service charging system)

Quick Reply: Need help identifying a wire on the starter. (service charging system)