C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Jim_H
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
The Bilstein Sports for the C6 are stiffer than the Z51 shocks, but softer than the GM C6 Z06 shocks. My Z06 with the standard (not DRM revalved) Bilstein Sports rides and handles better than with the factory shocks for $300.
I'd be curious to try other shocks, but the fact that the fronts are such a PITA to remove will keep me satisfied with the stock Z06 shocks for a while.

Does anyone have any good tips, other than the tie wrap method, to remove them?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:50 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_H
I'd be curious to try other shocks, but the fact that the fronts are such a PITA to remove will keep me satisfied with the stock Z06 shocks for a while.

Rather than use tie wraps, I bend a part of a wire coat hanger around the base of the shock, and create a partial loop to connect above the top lower bushing, then compress the shock, fit the coat hanger in the top of the shock. That keeps it mostly compressed and the shock comes out fine.

Some people loosen the A-arm bolts to ease the shock out. While doing that may not affect the alignment, I didn't want to risk that.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Vegas Panton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Z06 Shocks

I switched to Z06 shocks on my 2009 C6 Z51 manual transmission car to get rid of wheel hop during drag racing. The wheel hop occurred with both Nitto and BFG drag radials at various tire pressures. I read on this forum that the Z06 shocks helped. Bought a set from GM Parts Direct and installed them. Problem solved.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:58 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas Panton
I switched to Z06 shocks on my 2009 C6 Z51 manual transmission car to get rid of wheel hop during drag racing. The wheel hop occurred with both Nitto and BFG drag radials at various tire pressures. I read on this forum that the Z06 shocks helped. Bought a set from GM Parts Direct and installed them. Problem solved.
On the Z06, the factory shocks are subject to wheel hop and have too much rebound so they are twitchy over bumps. Many Z06 owners have gone to Bilstein Sports $300, DRM Bilsteins $450 or Phadt Johnny O'C, a little more , to get rid of the twitchy back end. Maybe the added 70HP makes the difference but LS2-3 motors with a little work can be up in the stock Z06 HP range.

My Bilstein Sports got rid of the twitchy back end and I have had wheel hop only very briefly on the 1-2 shift on one pass (of 11) at the Mojave Mile (173.5 MPH trap). I am very happy with this $300 replacement.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Magneson
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say as a Z06 owner that bump steer is a problem with the oem equipment. I am currently looking to upgrade to Johnny O. shocks and possibly sway bars too.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe this makes some sense since the Pfadt Johnny O'Connell shock/sway setup has worked for many people by combining a specially valved Sachs shock with these stiffer bars. I would hazzard a guess that the Pfadt valving could be closer to the Sachs Z06 shocks than the Sachs Z51 shocks.
Not to split hairs here, but an important point is that while the Johnny O'Connell shocks are built by Sachs, they are valved specifically to our specification after track and street testing with Johnny. They don't really have a whole lot in common with the Sachs Z06 or the Sachs Z51 shocks other than being built into the same bodies. The damping between our Johnny O'Connell shocks and the Sachs OEM parts are very different... overall they are closer in performance goals to the Z06 shocks than Z51, but the way they go about achieving those goals is different.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:44 AM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

they sound like a great bang for the buck, hopefully this means i wont have too much trouble re-homing the oem shocks off the 15k mile z06 im picking up tomorrow. they will be available starting.. tomorrow lol.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:53 AM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

You live near me...I have the JOC bars and bilstein sports...if you want to compare the ride, let me know...
Old 12-22-2011, 06:09 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Unbolt the upper control arm. Just mark the location of any shims and put them back when reassembling the arm.

Quick Reply: Z06 shocks