C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dangerous C6 Suspension?

Old 12-26-2011, 07:30 PM
branemaniac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dangerous C6 Suspension?

I am mildly modifying my suspension on my 2008 Base and I wanted to run a few questions through the forum. I ordered a Z06 rear sway bar and the WCC lowering bolts. Looking at the original Vette setups, the bars are bigger in the front than the rear...will I be in danger if the rear is changed before the front so it is bigger in back? What kind of problems would I see? More tail happy?
Old 12-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Any time you stiffen the suspension at one end of the car, that tends to give more grip to the other end.

So putting on a bigger rear bar without changing anything else, will tend to give oversteer, or at least less understeer. Be careful.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Do the bars at the same time -- and even then I'd do a C6 Z51 rear bar if you want factory stuff. The front bars are the same between Z51 and Z06, but the rear Z06 bar is stiffer. Without the big Z06 rear meats, I don't think it'll be optimized. Just my 2 cents..
Old 12-26-2011, 09:17 PM
branemaniac
Advanced

Well, my budget is pretty tight at the moment, recouperating from Christmas. I have the bar and the bolts in my possession and I am going to install them soon regardless. When I can manage a front bar, I will go for it, and maybe at some point go for something more such as shocks/coilovers.

I cant believe how much of a learning curve I am having to go through with this car, as my Subaru was basically the opposite when it came to suspension tuning. Haha.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:42 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

The WCC lowering bolts are notorious for being junk. Do a search.

Adding the Z06 rear bar without larger tires isn't a wise choice.

You should do you homework before buying questionable parts. Research twice, purchase once.

San
Old 12-27-2011, 07:35 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by oldmansan
The WCC lowering bolts are notorious for being junk. Do a search.

Adding the Z06 rear bar without larger tires isn't a wise choice.

You should do you homework before buying questionable parts. Research twice, purchase once.

San
Could not agree more.

That is why I bought the whole suspension kit form Pfadt so that all the parts work together. It is not always as simple as it looks.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:07 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't put a Z06 bar in back unless you're running a much sticker tire.

You're asking for a LOT of over-steer. Unpredictable over-steer can be very dangerous.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:24 AM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with Floyd. Also agree about the lowering bolts you purchased. Highly recommend you look into the ones made by Hardbar before you waste your time installing the ones you got.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:44 PM
branemaniac
Advanced

The car is going to be stored for winter soon and stickier, wider tires will go on in the spring once it is out of hibernation. Thanks for the responses. I will search for a front bar in the meantime...and maybe see about a sort of refund on lowering bolts.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:00 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

I agree with the seemingly negative comments regarding suspension upgrades. It is good constructive advice.

To state the obvious, the Corvette is NOT a Subaru, doesn't handle or perform the same way, the suspension is going to be very different but tunable and predictable. Shocks, springs, anti-sway bars and wheel alignment are a few of the adjustable parameters to work with, it isn't as simple as bolting on a few components and like magic you car performs better. I haven't even mentioned tires and wheels, what are you running for rubber?

What is it you want to do with your car? Do you have any goals you are trying to attain? Any peculiar quirks you are trying to eliminate? Are you doing any auto-cross? hpde events? drag racing?

I just started hpde last season and feel a strong addiction. I started with an '08 Z-51 base model, A-6 to see if I really wanted to do this. For my first year I upgraded the brake lines, installed the pfadt camber adjusters and a high performance wheel alignment (tough to get through a dealership, you need to see a performance shop to really get it right) and had a great time. I also did a Driver Skills day put on by a local Porsche club. They have great performance driving events. I highly recommend them if you want to learn how to drive your car in a safe and sane environment.

The least expensive way to go about this is to have a specific goal in mind, do a lot of research and study before buying components. Heck, Christmas is just over, finances have taken a hit, for most of us driving events won't start until Spring so there is plenty of time to research and learn before buying anything and compromising your car. The wrong or poorly matched shocks and anti-sway bars will make the car handle worse then the base model with no upgrades.

In closing, the basic Corvette is well set up. Everything plays together as a system and just like anything else, once you start making changes in one place it will have an effect somewhere else. For instance, the Z-51 has its own shocks, springs, anti-sway bars, tires and wheel alignment specs. That is a lot of parameters to adjust. Pfadt, a successful engineering group, came up with the Johnny O'Connel suspension package that has shocks and anti-sway bars that are tuned to work together. They hired Johnny to drive the car while pfadt made the design changes based on JO's input. Read about it on their website.

If you are going to track or autocross the car, I highly recommend a Porsche Driver Skills event. This will teach you how your car will handle and give you some idea of what changes you might like to make.

Get notified of new replies

To Dangerous C6 Suspension?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dangerous C6 Suspension?