Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Tech/Performance
LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
21st Century Muscle Cars

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 01-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Synfull

Default Reduced Engine Power- Service Traction Control

Hi,
I have my friends C6 while he is moving to a new house. The car is setting the above mentioned warning with reduced engine power. When you turn the car off, it will go off (service traction control) but the check engine light stays on. This had happened several times to him and me.
I have a simple obd2 reader that I have used on my 99 dodge viper to read and clear codes. I have tried using it on his car and i am getting an error message. I'm not sure if i need a different reader or I am doing something wrong. I assumed I needed to put the car on accessory when trying to read the codes. Is this correct?

Thanks for any help

Last edited by Synfull; 01-08-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Synfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Synfull

Can someone at least tell me how to turn the ignition on without starting the car (automatic trans). I tried my scan tool in accessory mode but it wouldn't work.
Thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
EVL JAKE
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Hold the break pedal in and hold the ignition switch in the "off" position like your trying to shut the car off from running. Hold it for like 5 seconds. Although I never had a reduced power warning, my car has a service engine light on due to the cooling fans being corroded and it ran very slow. I could only get a 13.3 out of it and when it was fixed it felt much faster.
EVL JAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

If the car has a manual transmission put it in neutral, put the parking brake on and without pushing the clutch pedal push the start button. That will turn the ignition on. If it has an automatic put the car in reverse or drive, apply parking brake and while holding your foot on the brake pedal push the start button.

Bill
Bill Dearborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVL JAKE View Post
Hold the break pedal in and hold the ignition switch in the "off" position like your trying to shut the car off from running. Hold it for like 5 seconds.

The car will go in Accessory almost immediately, then about 5 seconds later it goes into an "Everything on but engine not running" mode.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Synfull

Thanks guys, I will give it a try.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
SimpleC6
CF Senior Member

Welcome to my life. 2005 C6 Automatic with all options (telescoping steering, memory seats, HUD), Seat module is bad and overheats the motor all by itself, and I get reduced engine power/service active handling about once a week.

Done all the recalls, not fixed. Still can't figure it out.
SimpleC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Synfull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleC6 View Post
Welcome to my life. 2005 C6 Automatic with all options (telescoping steering, memory seats, HUD), Seat module is bad and overheats the motor all by itself, and I get reduced engine power/service active handling about once a week.

Done all the recalls, not fixed. Still can't figure it out.
It's a real pain in the butt. And scary driving with the reduced power. I hope you get it figured out.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #9
filmjay
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10

100000142122310 Pent uP Rage
Send a message via Yahoo to filmjay

Just throwing it out there, but I haven't had that code since I swapped rear axles and hubs. (Hubs have the VSS integrated).

Might be totally unrelated, just an observation...
filmjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Chevy Cust Svc
CF Senior Member

SimpleC6,
Have you head the dealership try to replicate this issue? If not, I'd recommend taking it in. Let me know if you'd like some help setting up an appointment or locating a dealership. Best of luck.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin
Chevy Cust Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
avg99

I also have a 05 same all memory tele wheel just no nav with 26000 miles have had tons replaced, BCM was the last over the summer now I'm getting the reduced power and service traction, well it ran good for a week had the oil changed and on the way home got the same reduced and traction let it sit for 15 minutes and then it was fine for about 30 miles or so then it started up again with engine drag control active and within 4 miles the reduced power and service traction is back on it looks like I wont be able to avoid the dealer and without warranty ouch!
avg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:48 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Reduced Engine Power- Service Traction Control

Tags
2008, c5, c6, chevy, contro, control, corvette, engine, light, power, reduce, reduced, service, trac, traction