C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Front Air Dam

Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Kaplana
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Front Air Dam

Hi all, If the front air dam on a C6 gets damaged can just the rubber piece be replaced or do you have to replace the entire air dam unit. If entire unit has to be replaced is it a difficult procedure and can it be replaced without lifting the car.

Thanks,,, kAP
Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Yes,you can replace just the center piece.The 2 outer pieces are 2 pieces also.Go to GM Parts House for wholesale prices,he is a vendor on this forum,and yes they are very easy to replace,.,Yes:You can replace without jacking>if you are not to over weight,.,,.)
Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Thanks for the referral. We can certainly help you out with those pieces.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Kaplana
Heel & Toe

Anyone have install instructions, does the rubber piece slide in and out or do bolts have to be removed. ?
Kap
Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaplana
Anyone have install instructions, does the rubber piece slide in and out or do bolts have to be removed. ?
Kap
Remove the bolts.I think they are 10mm.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:40 PM
trueism
Heel & Toe

Default easy steps for C6 front air dam replacement

Kap
To easily replace a c6 front air dam.
1-remove the 2 small plastic side pieces of the air dam assembly.
2-With the two side pieces of the air dam removed, that will allow you to: RAISE THE CAR ON TO RINO-RAMPS that SAFELY support the car, and give you room to work. NO JOB IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TAKING THE TIME TO PERFORM IT SAFELY. AND THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS ONE, BY PROVIDING YOURSELF A SAFE ENVIRONMENT TO COMPLETE THIS JOB SAFELY. DON'T ATTEMPT IF YOU ARE EVER UNSURE OF SAFETY!
3-remove the three 10mm bolts directly under the air dam. (notice that all hardware is only hand-tightened)
4-remove the seven 9/32 sheet metal screws under the plastic front bumper, up to and including the two 10mm nuts on both sides of the sheet metal screws (to give yourself room to remove the old air dam).
5-Gently pull down on the lower plastic facia of the front bumper, giving yourself room to remove the air dam starting from the right side (passenger side) of the car.
6-Take notice as to how the old air dam twists out, to better understand how you will put the new one in place.
7-Replace with the new air dam in reverse order (starting by getting the left side (driver's side) in first. It will require some manipulation and a little twisting, but it's doable. It should take an hour or two, the first time you do it. Just work smart, and always be safe!

Last edited by trueism; 05-16-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Kaplana
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the information. now I don't have to guess and take a lot of time to figure it out. Since you probably did it before, your instructions make it that much easier for me. Again thanks very much.

B.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:32 AM
lsbrodsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did not see this post before tackling this job, but got it done this way...the hard way. It did take me 90 minutes and I did need to jack up the front end to get enough levergae to install the new piece. What I learned the hard way is that you have to install the left, driver, side of the center piece first. Then you have to pull in the center to twist and bow the whole center piece to get it to snap into place on the right, passenger side. Somewhere else someone said this is a 15 minute job. NOT!!!! although it only took about 15 minutes to get the old one off.
Larry
Old 06-13-2015, 02:45 PM
bushwhoopi
3rd Gear

Hi all, If the front air dam on a C6 gets damaged can just the rubber piece be replaced or do you have to replace the entire air dam unit. If entire unit has to be replaced is it a difficult procedure and can it be replaced without lifting the car.

Thanks,,, kAP

I'm doing this now. However, my skid plate / radiator support is broken as well as the air dam missing and the two panels between the front wheel housing and the bumper cover are missing also.

So, the center section went in fine. Except that the new skid plate does not come with the pressed in mounting nuts required for the center mounting bolts for the dam. So, for now, I've got it held on with just the two outers bolts.

I removed the bumper cover, removed the broken skid plate and replaced with the new one. Found about half of the plastic push in rivets were broken, along with the bumper retaining clip near the driver's side headlight. So, now I'm waiting on more parts to arrive before finishing everything.

The parts that I'm missing and can't find anywhere are:
1. Press in nuts that go in the center bar of the skid plate that mount the air dam.
2. Press in nut for the horn bracket mount on the skid plate.
3. Two oval shaped access panels that are below the fog lamps and connect the wheel well liner to the bumper cover. These don't seem to be on any of the diagrams, so I don't know their proper name and can't find in any catalogue.

Other than those missing things, it's pretty easy to work on, as long as you don't mind lying on the ground and squeezing your hands between pieces of plastic.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Front Air Dam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Front Air Dam