C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG G6X3 Cam or Patrick G Cam????

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Mr QuickShift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LG G6X3 Cam or Patrick G Cam????

Im looking to build a strictly cam only car, ls2, M6 im looking for 10s cam only. of coarse ALOT of the small things will be cut or improved to do this but i need the best cam and these two make them. There is a thread of a Pat G cam making 500whp that's the cam im looking at from him. I like the torque curves but then again most the fastest cam only cars are running LG G6X3 cams.... I don't want anyone's opinions on a diff cam these two are my choice but i cant decide who to go with... also gona need to handle a 100shot in future.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:38 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm always a fan of custom grind cams built to your setup.

He can make it as aggressive as you want.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:37 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

The G6X3 is a tried and true cam. You know what you're going to get, and you have guys to lean on for tuning, etc that currently run it. Just my $.02.

Custom grinds do offer the benefit of putting the cam on newer lobes, etc. The G6X3 is an off the shelf "production" type cam.

If you're going to stay cam only I think I would do the G6X3.

Last edited by C7&7; 01-23-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 AM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You cite one of Pat's cams making "500whp", but your goal is to do this with a cam-only LS2? Whatever it was he spec'd out that hit that number, it wasn't on an otherwise stock longblock. Just stating the obvious, as I imagine you don't want to end up with an apples to broccoli comparison.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:48 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
You cite one of Pat's cams making "500whp", but your goal is to do this with a cam-only LS2? Whatever it was he spec'd out that hit that number, it wasn't on an otherwise stock longblock. Just stating the obvious, as I imagine you don't want to end up with an apples to broccoli comparison.
It was a cam-only LS2: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...503rwhp-2.html
Old 01-23-2012, 01:50 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

I see the thread, but I'm beyond skeptical. Maybe it's me, maybe it's coincidence, who knows. But once you start charging for something and it subsequently becomes better than the same thing you were offering for free... eh, I dunno.

234 242, .602 .605, 112 +3 <--That cam
234 240, .598 .608, 112 +3 <--My cam

The rest of his build is nearly identical to mine, and I did dyno with 1.8 H&S's. The only significant difference was my ported 92 to his unported 102. My car made 460. Where'd the other 43rwhp come from? A MAF delete? I don't see how the 102 would make it up considering the 92 is already plenty matched to stock, fairly modest flowing 243's.

I just have a hard time seeing it when about 460-470 is the most anyone is pulling out of cam only LS2's, and that's on the high end.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:56 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Old 01-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Toxic c6
Instructor

i have the exact cam in that thread and am hoping for 10's cam only. I just need nw102tb, 100mm maf, and yella tera rockers. I think i will be close to the 480rhwp range then.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:53 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

I see the thread, but I'm beyond skeptical. Maybe it's me, maybe it's coincidence, who knows. But once you start charging for something and it subsequently becomes better than the same thing you were offering for free... eh, I dunno.

The rest of his build is nearly identical to mine, and I did dyno with 1.8 H&S's. The only significant difference was my ported 92 to his unported 102. My car made 460. Where'd the other 43rwhp come from? A MAF delete? I don't see how the 102 would make it up considering the 92 is already plenty matched to stock, fairly modest flowing 243's.

I just have a hard time seeing it when about 460-470 is the most anyone is pulling out of cam only LS2's, and that's on the high end.
So it looks like your cam is on different lobes as well (since the 234 lobe has different lift)

Different lobes, MAF delete, no bottle-neck at all in the intake, and 8 hours of tuning could easily make more horsepower than your car. After 8 hours of tuning he said he found another 16rwhp from when they started. Did you also run 11/32 pushrods with that cam?

Pat G has been around for a long time and doesn't have anything to prove to anyone. He finished doing that a long time ago.

The car ran numbers at the mile that back up what it was putting down (177mph I believe)

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 01-23-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Toxic c6
Instructor

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
So it looks like your cam is on different lobes as well (since the 234 lobe has different lift)

Different lobes, MAF delete, no bottle-neck at all in the intake, and 8 hours of tuning could easily make more horsepower than your car. After 8 hours of tuning he said he found another 16rwhp from when they started. Did you also run 11/32 pushrods with that cam?

Pat G has been around for a long time and doesn't have anything to prove to anyone. He finished doing that a long time ago.

The car ran numbers at the mile that back up what it was putting down (177mph I believe)
Im gonna see if i can get close to that number since my last dyno pull. I've added the 11/32 pushrods and am about to order the nw102 tb, 100mm maf, and probably the yela tera rockers. I'm hoping to be around the 480rwhp mark.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:36 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

I give the Pat G cam a shot. The EPS lobes are performing pretty good.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:12 AM
briancb1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can get my car on 3 different dyno's I know in So Cal and get 3 different numbers in a single day. Any pro wouldn't doubt me a bit.

How you are comparing cam lobes is completely flawed and you cannot accurately compare the two cams based on such little information.

With that said, its not common to see a 500rwhp LS2 car with OE heads. If it was I'd like to see it on multiple dyno's and not just Dyno Jets.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:48 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

500 rwhp from a Dynojet is not easy to get particularly with stock heads. Frankly I'm a bit dubious of that number; regardless, Pat G and LG are well proven cam designers. You can't go wrong with either. Lg gave me great service 5 years after the sale, with dimensions to check for flycutting, worth noting. Pat G might have as well as his reputation is stellar.

But I think the goal is to run 10's cam only. You don't need 500 rwhp to do that so the difference in cams is irrelevant and likely too small to measure. I did it with 450 rwhp cam only.

Running 10's is also not easy and takes a lot of practice launching.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:51 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

+1 to what Joe and Floyd have said.

I was literally in the EXACT same boat 6 months ago when I was shopping around for cam choices.

I went with a Pat G spec cam and the goal criteria I gave him were as follows:
1) 10.x@13x cam-only with supporting bolt-ons and tires
2) Street manners (car is my daily driver) had to remain docile.
3) No fly-cutting

I am 100% satisfied with my decision and my car has been performing flawlessly since the install and tune.
To date, I have over 70 dragstrip passes with the cam and my current best is 10.8@128 with relatively poor weather conditions. I have no doubts I can hit my 13x mph trap speed if I can get a little assistance from mother nature and see DA in the 0 range with the sun shining and a lower dew point.

Just my $.02
Old 01-24-2012, 03:26 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

To caveat my posts a bit, I do understand that we may be talking about different lobes, and I do understand a tuner can sit on a dyno for 8 hours straight or 8 days straight. I do understand that if you're lucky you might be able to find another 10-15hp in something as simple as a tuning marathon. But 40-45rwhp over what is already a very stellar number, hell anything over 450whp in a cam-only LS2 is respectable, is still suspect.

I have zero interest in questioning the ability of Pat G. I think we are all under the same consensus based on repeated performance that the man is a legitimate cam scholar. I just feel there may be other factors at play. Parts not mentioned, a mis-calibrated dyno, freak atmosphere, something.

I can't say I fully agree that a 177 at the mile is a back-up of a 503rwhp claim, either. Stock Z's make closer to my power at anywhere from 440rw to 460rw and are going 175-177MPH quite regularly. Given that, it stands to reason the "503rwhp" car trapped the mile at about what a "460rwhp" car would, which was said to be 177mph, correct?
Old 01-24-2012, 06:19 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

To caveat my posts a bit, I do understand that we may be talking about different lobes, and I do understand a tuner can sit on a dyno for 8 hours straight or 8 days straight. I do understand that if you're lucky you might be able to find another 10-15hp in something as simple as a tuning marathon. But 40-45rwhp over what is already a very stellar number, hell anything over 450whp in a cam-only LS2 is respectable, is still suspect.

I have zero interest in questioning the ability of Pat G. I think we are all under the same consensus based on repeated performance that the man is a legitimate cam scholar. I just feel there may be other factors at play. Parts not mentioned, a mis-calibrated dyno, freak atmosphere, something.

I can't say I fully agree that a 177 at the mile is a back-up of a 503rwhp claim, either. Stock Z's make closer to my power at anywhere from 440rw to 460rw and are going 175-177MPH quite regularly. Given that, it stands to reason the "503rwhp" car trapped the mile at about what a "460rwhp" car would, which was said to be 177mph, correct?
You can't just compare peak power or runs from different days especially in a race like the mile where results are exponentially afffected by variables. Heck I did 173mph in the mile and went 10s with only 422rwhp. I know of 2 C6s that are lighter than my FRC and more aero dynamic, so someone should be able to go 10s with just bolt-ons imho.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:01 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Heck I did 173mph in the mile and went 10s with only 422rwhp. I know of 2 C6s that are lighter than my FRC and more aero dynamic, so someone should be able to go 10s with just bolt-ons imho.
That corroborates exactly what I'm saying. 173 @ 422rw is still mostly in line with trajectory of 175-177 @ 460rw. I totally agree about external factors and myriad variables, especially with wind and temps, but mile racing (from what I can gather) is one of the truest forms of representation for what a car can do. It shifts more responsibility off the driver and the course prep and onto the car itself. Again, I understand the wind and temps issues, so you have to toss the anomolies and go with a mid-range.

500+ rwhp represents many of those bolt-on/tune Z's, of which the reports I've seen propel them to the low 180's in good weather. And I would imagine the Z is actually a bit less slippery than the base body cars as well due to the flared fenders/wider track/scoops/tire width, etc.

Of course all of this is my own speculation based loosely on the postings of others, and when it comes down to it, I often love the opportunity to eat my words when it's at the hand of somebody actually breaking records. Of being a pessimist, either you're right- or you're pleasantly surprised.

Get notified of new replies

To LG G6X3 Cam or Patrick G Cam????

Old 01-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

That corroborates exactly what I'm saying. 173 @ 422rw is still mostly in line with trajectory of 175-177 @ 460rw. I totally agree about external factors and myriad variables, especially with wind and temps, but mile racing (from what I can gather) is one of the truest forms of representation for what a car can do. It shifts more responsibility off the driver and the course prep and onto the car itself. Again, I understand the wind and temps issues, so you have to toss the anomolies and go with a mid-range.

500+ rwhp represents many of those bolt-on/tune Z's, of which the reports I've seen propel them to the low 180's in good weather. And I would imagine the Z is actually a bit less slippery than the base body cars as well due to the flared fenders/wider track/scoops/tire width, etc.

Of course all of this is my own speculation based loosely on the postings of others, and when it comes down to it, I often love the opportunity to eat my words when it's at the hand of somebody actually breaking records. Of being a pessimist, either you're right- or you're pleasantly surprised.
I have done mile races. In a flared out convertible. About as bad aerodynamically as it gets in a C6 Vette.

Mile racing depends a ton on DA, more so than the 1/4 mile as you are running 3x as long (or more actually).

I did a mile race with 450 rwhp and did 167, da was 1800 IIRC. A 500 rwhp stroker 427 narrow body coupe did 178. H/C Z06's did 188.

Oh and gearing means a ton in the mile race too. C6's are geared well, c5's are not, they run out of 5th at 150 or so and you cannot pull 6th. I can show you videos if you like.

This post, I realize, is off topic. Allow me to get a little back on topic.

The difference in these two cams from a performance standpoint is going to be small IMHO, and a better driver will win in either car. Both cams are pretty large and around town drivability is going to be a little questionable, though a sharp tune will take care of a lot of that. Gears help a lot too.

I would suggest if you drag race a lot like I do, go for the biggest cam the g6x3 as it shines on the strip. If you mostly drive around town and just get on it once in a while, a smaller cam might be in order.

Last edited by Joe_G; 01-24-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:27 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

I agree with the above and the really high dyno numbers are attributed to the attention to detail paid on other parts more than the exact specs of the cam imho.

My point is a cam shifts the powerband around and if you are not maximizing your time in it then its advantage is lessened. The FRC is at an aerodynamic disadvantage as well. Shift speed plays a factor in trap speed, because you minimize momentum loss...especially with the 4th to 5th. 4.10s and MZ6 gear allows me to make that shift at a lower speed ~125 mph (less aero resistance) and then pull 5th to 173 where power peak is

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 01-25-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Not when you compare it to what other cars were doing on the same day.

Quick Reply: LG G6X3 Cam or Patrick G Cam????