C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to prolong the life of your clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 03:21 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
^^^ Pitfuna is right, I do have a 2.97 first and 4.10 gears for a 12.177 multiplication, vs stock 2.66 and 3.42 for a 9.0972 multiplication ratio.

But around the 450 - 475 RWHP level they can last a long time even with strip duty, z51 or not.

I have 497 passes like this and 79,000 miles on mine now:

10.91 @ 128.11 1.452 60 foot - YouTube

Justin Jordan had a z51 car but stock gears and was pushing 517/462 at the time he made this run, which was the fourth or fifth hot lap just like this (he wanted that record!!).

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1-48-60ft.html

Justinjor 10 6 @ 129 1 48 60 foot - YouTube

He did have to pull up the pedal on this run between 3-4. And he replaced the clutch after this as he went with nitrous after this pass...I think he went through two aftermarket clutches before he found one he liked.

My point is a stock clutch is pretty good up until 500 RWHP or so, but over that and it's way over its limit. And, proper fluid maintenance is completely necessary for longevity as I can safely state.
I would not argue that the stock clutch is good for under 500rwhp. What the stock clutch can't take is the abuse with sticky tires, specially with the tall gearing (numerically lower) provided by the non z51 option. Like I mentioned, I followed everything that you and Jeremy suggested, even the Motul fluid, removed the spring, constantly do the ranger method and still the clutch slipped at the track while cam only. I've watched countless of times your videos and the engagement of my clutch it will either make the engine bog if the rpms are to low or the clutch will slip if they are to high. That brings me back to the gearing advantage. So why would the engine bog at low rpms, meaning the clutch is doing its job, but slip at higher rpms? I feel that the clutch is trying to do its job at higher rpms but the gearing just doesn't help and can't certainly keep up with the extra power being applied and the sticky tires. The clutch is the weakest link and gearing is what is saving yours in my opinion.

Quick Reply: How to prolong the life of your clutch