C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I made a mistake, now I need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:25 PM
BILLD518
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I made a mistake, now I need help

My last oil change, I was in a hurry, took my 08 C6 to one of those quick oil change places. Now I'm paying for it. I'm (was) changing oil, and I've tried everything trying to remove the oil pan plug. I was using a six point socket with a ratchet, and could not budge it.
I'm 6'6" tall 350#, so I'm not a weak guy. So I used an impact for about an hour, until I finally rounded the head off. I've tried vise grips, and small pipe wrench with no luck,
Does anyone have any idea's that would help me get the plug out.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 03-09-2012, 07:33 PM
MINI&aVette
Racer

Originally Posted by BILLD518
My last oil change, I was in a hurry, took my 08 C6 to one of those quick oil change places. Now I'm paying for it. I'm (was) changing oil, and I've tried everything trying to remove the oil pan plug. I was using a six point socket with a ratchet, and could not budge it.
I'm 6'6" tall 350#, so I'm not a weak guy. So I used an impact for about an hour, until I finally rounded the head off. I've tried vise grips, and small pipe wrench with no luck,
Thanks,
Bill
Had this happen on my mini. Let the engine get hot and you should be able to get it out. Have a new one to put in just in case.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:58 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

You can use an easy-out if you stripped off the head.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:35 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

WOW! How'd they get it on there that tight I wonder. I've been in that situation many times (not all with oil plugs) and never had vice grips fail as a last resort. I'm not gonna ask if your sure your turning it lefty loosey.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:44 PM
BILLD518
Instructor

Originally Posted by MINI&aVette
Had this happen on my mini. Let the engine get hot and you should be able to get it out. Have a new one to put in just in case.
I thought of that, and it will probably work.
But I had it up on stands changing brakes, and it would just be a good time to change the oil.
I'm going to take it some where tomorrow that has a rack.
At least I will be able to get to it better, and it will be hot.
Thanks
Old 03-09-2012, 10:55 PM
BILLD518
Instructor

Originally Posted by EVRose
WOW! How'd they get it on there that tight I wonder. I've been in that situation many times (not all with oil plugs) and never had vice grips fail as a last resort. I'm not gonna ask if your sure your turning it lefty loosey.
I have no idea how they got it tight.
I just hope they didn't cross thread it, and force it all the way in.
I was standing outside their "customers not allowed) barrier watching the best I could. But three of them started taking turns pushing buttons trying to reset the oil life, I went in. One of the guy's told me I couldn't come in there, and I reminded him who the car belonged to, and told him where he could kiss.
By the way, I was a mechanic for twenty two years, so I do know the righty tighty thingy.
Bill
Old 03-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Parrish416
5th Gear

You can use an easy-out if you stripped off the head.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:10 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

To prevent this from happening again, replace the plug with a Fumoto valve.

Description & part numbers on Bugman's website (see "Oil Change"):
http://www.bugmanweb.com/c6/c6index.html

Old 03-10-2012, 06:30 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

If worse comes to worse you can tack weld a nut to the head of the oil plug to have a full place for a socket to bite to.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
If worse comes to worse you can tack weld a nut to the head of the oil plug to have a full place for a socket to bite to.
I never thought of that. You're pretty smart. I'll have to remember that trick.
Jeff
Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

I just hope they didn't cross thread it, and force it all the way in.
Bill
Sorry to say, but this is the most likely. There's no way the drain plug can be that tight unless they cross-threaded it and galled the threads. Galling is a welding action that starts at the microscopic level and progresses if you continue to screw it in. As long as you keep the bolt moving, the metal stays "liquid/soft" and it can be worked all the way in/out. Once you stop, the metal cools and the bolt is "stuck". When you get it out, you'll have to heli-coil the oil pan threads (making sure you use lock-tite to seal the heli-coil) or worst case scenario, replace the oil pan. You need to go back to the oil change place and demand they reimburse you for damages.

You'll probably have to drill the bolt out...no need to tell you to be as accurate as you can with the center punch as I'm sure you've drilled out your share of stuck bolts in 22 years of turning wrenches. Good luck with it.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:26 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I understand your situation, but after having worked on it to the point of rounding it off I really doubt the quik lube place will take responsibility at all. You can try, but I doubt it very seriously.

I think we all have oil change stories, most of them horrible. Sometimes you get lucky, but mostly not. Hope you get it fixed relatively quickly.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:14 PM
wildbadbill
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well,I'd probably leave it in place and drill a size smaller hole and tap it for a ne , smaller bolt- basically use the old one as heli coil.
Or if u really want it out use a grinder and shave on both sides of th bolt head tomake it rectangular and put some good size wrench on it , good luck
Old 03-10-2012, 03:46 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbadbill
Well,I'd probably leave it in place and drill a size smaller hole and tap it for a ne , smaller bolt- basically use the old one as heli coil.
I'm not sure that's a good idea. Where will the shaving go? Into the pan.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:49 AM
vettro
Racer

Let us know how you made out ...? Worse comes to worse, find a way to drain it - and buy a new pan...
Old 03-11-2012, 09:02 AM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

rightie tightie, lefty loosy
Old 03-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

OP.........Did you get the bolt out?

Was it cross threaded?

Get notified of new replies

To I made a mistake, now I need help

Old 03-11-2012, 10:46 AM
ALVETTE00
Drifting

Why not take it back there and raise hell with the shop manager?
Old 03-11-2012, 11:06 AM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks,
Bill
Alternate approach, grind or file new faces on the hex , [create a new , smaller hex ], take a 6 point impact socket of a size that is tight to the point of needing to be hammered on. Heat the pan around the plug with a propane torch, [do not overheat ] , use an impact gun in short bursts until you see movement , then run it out. You may need a 1/2" air impact gun [ verses ,say , a 1/4" or a 3/8" battery powered tool ] . Good luck , sorry for your trouble.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:23 PM
joe lawson
Advanced

If you get the bolt out you may need to retap the threads and you will need to pull the pan to do this to capture the shavings. I don’t think you would want to leave the in your pan. So if this sound right to you, you will be better of pulling the pan to start with.

Quick Reply: I made a mistake, now I need help