C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smog/emissions testing

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Nik_Bad
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog/emissions testing

Quick question:

I have a 2008 LS3 C6. I have installed a VR SC-1, Kooks 1 7/8 coated headers, Kooks 3 in cat'd x-pipe, Corsa Sport rear section exhaust, and had it dyno tuned using EFILive. What are the chances it will pass emissions testing? I live in a state where it doesn't matter, but it's for sale and would like to tell potential buyers if it is good or not. I understand every car is different, but until I can get it tested I would like to know if it is closer to yes or closer to no. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

As the car sits it would fail in California. The cat back is ok everything else is considered non complaint. Some will say that it could pass emissions wise but the visual part the system would fail.

With the new testing coming up shortly it would be even more difficult for the car to get a certificate.

The testing is getting more difficult and will abandon the tail pipe procedure. All test will be via the OBD system, they will search for an "all systems ready" and a tune will fail the test too. The Gov't does not want any change in the Emissions components as well as altering fuel consumption, hence the tuning problem.

From what I understand there are code markers in the original tune and these can not be changed. Even if it could pass the defunct tail pipe test. They are concerned with fuel consumption now, CAFE regulations.

Other States and even portions of States therein will vary but this new testing will spread. Just a guess but maybe already dozen and a half states following California.

Also in California the seller is responsible for smog certification prior to selling.

Why be concerned if your State has lax emissions laws, just sell with state.

Last edited by Boomer111; 03-24-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Smog/emissions testing