C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Hatch Struts

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:38 PM
jones714
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Hatch Struts

Trying to install rear hatch struts in my c6 coupe.. No problem getting old ones off and new ones on. Problem now is they don't compress and trunk won;t close. Am I missing something. Thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm about to reinstall mine on my 200-mile old car, but I can tell you they're WAY harder to start compressing, than once compressed. I know for a fact they don't fully extend when hatch is fully open, maybe for that reason. Mine 'popped' out with a bang, extending about 1/2" from the fully open position. Forcing the hatch open will allow me to reinstall them, but will probably face the same issue as you. We'll have to shove the hatch closed the first time, I'm afraid. Rather than steady pressure, a quick shove might be the best way to deal with that. It should take me about an hour to reinstall the rear speaker panels, at which time will be ready for the strut reinstall. Will comment when it's done.

But let me ask you the obvious question first: Are you positive they're the right struts? And are they identical in size, lenght, diameter of the strut, etc? I'd make sure you have the right parts first. Also make sure the thin portion of the strut is installed below (the part that should have the rubber cover). Good luck.

EDIT: Finished the job. Hatch was reluctant to go down at first, creaking in protest, but after that, it went up and down just like before. If you have the correct part numbers, just push it down man. Good luck.

Last edited by JCtx; 03-29-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:26 AM
jones714
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a ton. Will try.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Hatch Struts

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Struts