C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with the rusty rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:02 PM
needmoregarage
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up with the rusty rotors?

My track mods are just about done. Very happy with the seats and harnesses.

I chose Hawk HP Plus pads (all around) and DBA5000 rotors on the front, DBA4000 on the rear.

Turns out the face of the DBA rotor is not swept 100% by the pad. I've talked to the Hawk folks - and the pads are the same dimension as OEM.

I've talked to the DBA folks - and while they claim that their rotors are the same dimension as OEM - I notice that there is no "return" or bevel at the inside edge of the rotor where it meets the hat. The 5000s have no paint at all on the inside edge - the 4000s have a small strip of paint but apparently it's the wrong width.

The result: when the car gets wet (from washing / rain / puddles....) the rotors rust. We all know this. Drag the brakes and you clean off the rotors...right? Well - everything except for a ring of rust at the inner edge of the rotor.

I believe the brakes will work great on the track - and function is my main concern. BUT - I also like to drive the car for daily running around - and now I'm faced with looking at a ring of rust on each rotor - or buying a product to remove rust every time the car gets wet.

I'm really disappointed. I've learned a ton about rotor construction in this process. DBA claims they've not had complaints. I'm the FIRST person to note the ring of rust and call them on it. I realize these are performance rotors meant for track - but I can't be the only person tracking their car who also cares about aesthetics!!!

DBA is willing to send a replacement set of rear rotors since the paint dimension is wrong. OK - maybe that'll help the rear. But to live with a ring of rust on my front rotors until they wear out? Very disappointing.

What does everyone use on track, and are the rotor faces 100% swept by the pads (to clear rust). Or do you have a ring of rust - and simply live with it?

I have CCB on another car, and I wasn't planning on sinking that kind of money into the Z06 brakes - but it's one more reason to consider it. I love the CCB - they take punishment and never get too hot and wear for a long time.

I'm interested in comments.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:10 PM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

They all do it, regardless of manufacturer. I just painted mine w/ caliper paint and let them dry before installing. First time you mash the brakes it cleans off just the swept area..and no rust ring.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:25 PM
needmoregarage
Advanced

Originally Posted by filmjay
They all do it, regardless of manufacturer. I just painted mine w/ caliper paint and let them dry before installing. First time you mash the brakes it cleans off just the swept area..and no rust ring.
How did you paint them? Do you create a template - or do you tape them? Just wondering how you keep the paint in the unswept area...and if there are any tips/techniques that help.

Or are you saying if paint goes up over the line where the pads sweep - the first time I mash 'em I'll have a nice edge because it'll clean the paint off.

If the pads takes some of the paint off (first time) - does that make any difference in the pad or its abiity to function? Or is it burned off with a few mashes of the brake?

Thanks for any/all info on how to paint the rotors.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:49 AM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pads will just remove the paint. This removed paint will end up on the inside barrel of the rim. This can be cleaned. You can put grease, vasoline, chapstick, etc on the rotor area you do not want paint on. After you paint the hub part, you can wipe off the rotor. I used rust-oleum speciality high heat spray paint for grills. It stated to resist heat up to 1200 Degree F. I just finished painting my rotors and calipers.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:52 AM
needmoregarage
Advanced

Thanks needcheese. Very helpful!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:44 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you drive the hell out of the car, the paint will burn off.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:09 AM
needmoregarage
Advanced

Originally Posted by timd38
If you drive the hell out of the car, the paint will burn off.
....good to know!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:39 PM
needmoregarage
Advanced

Fresh question on the rotors

Today the car was on a lift and we noticed almost no rust on the INSIDE of the front rotors (only nose was lifted - haven't checked rears yet).

Does this make sense? Is it possible they could have been installed backwards? Just trying to make sense of why they would look so good on the inside of the car and not the outside.

Of course when I washed it the outside of the rotors were drenched but I would think enough water would travel to the inside to cause a ring of rust on the unswept area.

Thoughts?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:13 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Fresh question on the rotors

Today the car was on a lift and we noticed almost no rust on the INSIDE of the front rotors (only nose was lifted - haven't checked rears yet).

Does this make sense? Is it possible they could have been installed backwards? Just trying to make sense of why they would look so good on the inside of the car and not the outside.

Of course when I washed it the outside of the rotors were drenched but I would think enough water would travel to the inside to cause a ring of rust on the unswept area.

Thoughts?

no way can be installed backwards. Its just that no or less water got there.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:10 PM
needmoregarage
Advanced

Originally Posted by realcanuk
no way can be installed backwards. Its just that no or less water got there.
Thanks - glad to know a backward install is not possible. Makes sense that less water got to the inside.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Don't forget to take an extra set of pads and pins with you when you go to the track along with your old rotors, just in case......

Trust me.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:35 AM
needmoregarage
Advanced

Originally Posted by timd38
Don't forget to take an extra set of pads and pins with you when you go to the track along with your old rotors, just in case......

Trust me.
Not something I would have thought necessary....but I'll be ready. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:58 AM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

I just sprayed the whole thing. No adverse effects in the 10k miles I've had them on so far.

Get creative with colors. :P I think I'll paint my next set gold. LOL!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:42 PM
needmoregarage
Advanced

Originally Posted by filmjay
I just sprayed the whole thing. No adverse effects in the 10k miles I've had them on so far.

Get creative with colors. :P I think I'll paint my next set gold. LOL!
So you sprayed the entire rotor. When you mash the brakes - the pads clean off the swept area, and the paint stays on the unswept area - and you don't get any rust? (Just wanna be sure I understood you).

Not sure how creative I want to get with color....gold might be a little too "blingy" for a track car (especially with a female driver ). I prefer not to attract THAT type of attention.... (pink is definitely OUT). I'd probably go with gray or black. Ideally I'd like the paint to match the rotor surface. I like the look of slotted rotors and nice calipers (the jewelry of the car), and don't want to take away from the aesthetic.

I have a "thing" for nice brakes. I prefer wheels with fewer, thin spokes because you get to see more rotor and caliper. But that's just me.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:28 PM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
So you sprayed the entire rotor. When you mash the brakes - the pads clean off the swept area, and the paint stays on the unswept area - and you don't get any rust? (Just wanna be sure I understood you).
Yes ma'am, that's exactly what I did. I just used regular VHT black, available at just about any parts store. And yes, the pad cleans off the swept area and leaves the rest.
One tip though if you do paint your rotors...drive a short distance BEFORE the rotors are completely cured and dry. The paint will clean off easier and any paint lines will look better.

Not sure how creative I want to get with color....gold might be a little too "blingy" for a track car (especially with a female driver ). I prefer not to attract THAT type of attention.... (pink is definitely OUT). I'd probably go with gray or black. Ideally I'd like the paint to match the rotor surface. I like the look of slotted rotors and nice calipers (the jewelry of the car), and don't want to take away from the aesthetic.

I have a "thing" for nice brakes. I prefer wheels with fewer, thin spokes because you get to see more rotor and caliper. But that's just me.
Silver is what you'd want, I'd think. Can't say I've noticed any high temp paints in metallic colors. Though I HAVE used the metallic red Dupli-color stuff on some engine-bay pieces, and it has held up very well in the last 2 years sitting close to Ti headers (on a blown car)

But then again, if yours is mostly a track car, those rotors are getting heated pretty regularly, so a paint may not last. I did refinish my calipers and have no flakes or chips thus far.
I keep a set of raw rotors on hand for road course track days, so I can't attest to the durability of painting the rotors under track conditions. The painted OEM-style rotors I use regularly/everyday hasn't seen any flakes or chipping though. (I use Centric cryo oem-style for daily use)
Old 04-08-2012, 01:05 PM
needmoregarage
Advanced

filmjay - thanks so much for the detailed reply. VERY helpful.

Get notified of new replies

To What's up with the rusty rotors?

Quick Reply: What's up with the rusty rotors?