Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Tech/Performance
LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
21st Century Muscle Cars

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
MDPD23
CF Senior Member
 
MDPD23's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Washington Crossing PA
Default Tracking my Corvette

I am going to be tracking my car for the 1st time this coming weekend. It's an '08 coupe Z51. I've just put on new tires (Michelin A/S) and would like some advise. I bought these particular tires because the car is my DD and being in Philadelphia the weather can sometimes be a little interesting (even though this winter was pretty mild). My concern is that I know that the Pilot tires are better for tracking but will I have any problems or tearing up this tires on the track. The track by the way is a road course (3 miles-14 turns).
Any help or warning are appreciated
MDPD23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
ROC OUT
CF Senior Member
 
ROC OUT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Austin Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD23 View Post
I am going to be tracking my car for the 1st time this coming weekend. It's an '08 coupe Z51. I've just put on new tires (Michelin A/S) and would like some advise. I bought these particular tires because the car is my DD and being in Philadelphia the weather can sometimes be a little interesting (even though this winter was pretty mild). My concern is that I know that the Pilot tires are better for tracking but will I have any problems or tearing up this tires on the track. The track by the way is a road course (3 miles-14 turns).
Any help or warning are appreciated
You should be fine, IMO. I tracked my car ('07 Coupe M6 with Z51) twice (13 turn road courses) with the stock Goodyear Supercar F1 tires. After a one day event and just learning to drive, the Supercars showed significant wear. But, the Supercars are predominantly tract tires with softer rubber/tread than an AS tire like your MIchelins. I suspect that what you give up in traction on the track with your Michelins you gain a longer wearing tire for the street.

Have fun and bring your Vette home in the same condition it was in when you drove it out to the track!
ROC OUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
waddisme
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
waddisme's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Taylorsville North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to waddisme
Default

Go to the AX/RR section and you will find all the info you need for your first track day. There are numerous "1st Time at the Track" threads with plenty of good advice. It is the most legal fun you can have in your car. I am off the Rd Atl this weekend for 2 days of pure adrenaline.
waddisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!
 
TNTC4VETTE's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 1999
Location: Orlando FL
Geeteego
Default

Not a comprehensive long-track list, but a good start.

Change brake fluid to GOOD DOT4 like Motul or ATE super blue with a high boiling point.

Change oil. I add 1/2 a quart of oil to help prevent starvation. No empirical data, just something I do.

Check your suspension and ensure end links, bushings, and shocks are in good shape.

SA2005 or newer Helmet, good fitting shoes with a small footprint, and gloves (let someone kid you about using gloves...the first time your hand slips mid turn, you'll never NOT use them. Keep your seatbelt tight. With our stock seats, you are going to divot your driver side speaker grille when you start pushing it.

Good non-ceramic pads. Carbotech XP8 are fantastic for starting out.

Bring a tire gauge. Pressures are important.

LISTEN TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR, WATCH YOUR MIRRORS, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD.

Have fun!

Last edited by TNTC4VETTE; 04-10-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: added info
TNTC4VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
sallen619
CF Senior Member
 
sallen619's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Location: S.D. CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTC4VETTE View Post
Change oil. I add 1/2 a quart of oil to help prevent starvation. No empirical data, just something I do.
The operator's manual supports this by saying keep the oil level at or near 1 quart above the top line for racing events.
sallen619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
MDPD23
CF Senior Member
 
MDPD23's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Washington Crossing PA
Default

Thanks Guys!! Really appreciate all the pointers and especially the encouragement of having fun. I'll let you all know how it goes
MDPD23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
sallen619
CF Senior Member
 
sallen619's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Location: S.D. CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD23 View Post
Thanks Guys!! Really appreciate all the pointers and especially the encouragement of having fun. I'll let you all know how it goes
5/5/12 will be my 1st track day also... good luck
sallen619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!
 
TNTC4VETTE's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 1999
Location: Orlando FL
Geeteego
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallen619 View Post
The operator's manual supports this by saying keep the oil level at or near 1 quart above the top line for racing events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD23 View Post
Thanks Guys!! Really appreciate all the pointers and especially the encouragement of having fun. I'll let you all know how it goes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallen619 View Post


5/5/12 will be my 1st track day also... good luck
Prepare to be hooked. There is nothing more fun to do with a car than what you're about to do. If you think owning a Vette brings a SEG, wait till you drive it on a track.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanNH View Post
Does your insurance cover close parking?

E85 powered.
TNTC4VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
sallen619
CF Senior Member
 
sallen619's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Location: S.D. CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTC4VETTE View Post
Prepare to be hooked. There is nothing more fun to do with a car than what you're about to do. If you think owning a Vette brings a SEG, wait till you drive it on a track.

Ok...I'm hooked!!! LOL
sallen619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:56 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Tracking my Corvette
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap Wheels For The Track Foxer55 C7 Z06 Discussion 23 11-26-2014 05:35 AM
Mileage Warranty on Michelin Pilot Super Sports NVR2L8 Autocrossing & Roadracing 11 05-16-2013 01:32 AM
FS: CCW Classic Wheels hrtracer Wheels & Tires 1 04-16-2013 05:15 PM
FS: CCW Classic's hrtracer Autocrossing & Roadracing 2 04-16-2013 05:14 PM
Need help on tire selection daniel.M C6 Corvette General Discussion 14 07-20-2012 01:57 AM


Tags
car, road, southeast


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Emails & Password Backup