C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB/AUX port retrofit completed

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Leifmb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB/AUX port retrofit completed

I have successfully retrofitted a 2011+ Nav Radio with the console USB and AUX ports to my 09 Z06. The retrofit is not really that hard but you will need a few things that are quite expensive -The 2011+ Nav radio!

Needed Items:
1. 2011+ Nav Radio head
2. GM Connector Harness 12101876
3. Micro-Pack 100 series connector terminals GM 12146447 (5 Needed)
4. Correct terminal crimping tool
5. 7mm socket and T15 to remove radio and related
6. Console with USB/AUX port (available from GM in various colors options). The consoles with the USB/AUX ports should come with the console harness and USB/AUX plug installed.
7. Optional: instead of #6 above, just get the console harness GM 20940291 and USB/AUX plug GM 20870101 and somehow retro to your existing console (I didn't go that route) Further note: I saw on the Delphi site that they make a USB/AUX port that fits a Cig lighter location so THAT port, if you can can find/get it, might be a slick option to retro the port instead of getting the new console. Again, I went the stock 2011+ console route.

Once you get the GM 12101876 Connector Harness, you have to install the GM12146447 terminals and then simply insert them into the correct locations on the Radio X1 and X2 plugs. After that you plug in the Molex USB patch cord 88753-8500 leaving the stock USB cord alone. Reassemble the car and away you go!

[IMG]

[IMG]
[IMG]

That's it!
Leif

Last edited by Leifmb; 03-04-2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Corrected photos
Old 04-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Great post!!

My LockPick which I use for this feature (aux 3.5m input or iPhone input) is starting to have static...one of the wires is chafed because if I shake the connector to the XM radio it fixes itself for a while.

I'm going to look into your solution! Thanks for posting.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Leifmb
Advanced

I should add that I am more impressed with the GM USB/AUX port because I wanted to play Pandora (internet radio) from my iPhone. I THOUGHT I'd have to use the mini headphone jack but it works with only the USB connector connected to the phone. The sound DOES go through the GM 12101876 harness however and not just the USB plug. It's just one less thing to connect! I do wish however that it would just play via Bluetooth but not from the factory. I suppose I could just add a readily available Bluetooth to mini-din (headphone jack) stereo adapter and I'd be on my way. I could just leave the Bluetooth receiver in the console. I might try that next but it should work.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Leifmb
I should add that I am more impressed with the GM USB/AUX port because I wanted to play Pandora (internet radio) from my iPhone. I THOUGHT I'd have to use the mini headphone jack but it works with only the USB connector connected to the phone. The sound DOES go through the GM 12101876 harness however and not just the USB plug. It's just one less thing to connect! I do wish however that it would just play via Bluetooth but not from the factory. I suppose I could just add a readily available Bluetooth to mini-din (headphone jack) stereo adapter and I'd be on my way. I could just leave the Bluetooth receiver in the console. I might try that next but it should work.
I use the 3.5m jack to play Pandora through my LockPick.

But I want to do exactly what you want to do....play anything over the car's speakers using A2DP Bluetooth (like my wife's Honda Odyssey does). Her van is so seamless..get in and the music or calls go right over the car stereo - no muss, no fuss. Wish my 05 Vette would do that.

I'd be very interested if you went the bluetooth route..I didn't know such an adaptor existed!
Old 04-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Leifmb
Advanced

I think Belkin makes one for about $35! I used one to bluetooth my dads iPad to his 80's home stereo! I could probably wire it in AT the radio. Perhaps even older radios too, as long as they have AUX pin-outs. Should be very easy to do actually. The drawback in that situation is this- the phone bluetooth connection might not work or you might have to CHOOSE one connection over the other. Id have to try it to know for sure.

Last edited by Leifmb; 04-19-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I think Belkin makes one for about $35! I used one to bluetooth my dads iPad to his 80's home stereo!
Now that's cool...I was unaware...I have to dig into that!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Leifmb
Advanced

I have reviewed the schematics but am not sure if I could install a bluetooth adapter to OLDER radios. It would all depend if, on the older radios, on the Radio X2 connector, if Pin-outs E, F and G were available or respond to AUX input or not. If they do, I could easily wire up a stereo Bluetooth receiver. The one I'd probably use is the Belkin F8Z492TTP Bluetooth Music Receiver. I'd have to access a 5V source (prob from the radio head unit). Otherwise, with the 2011+ Nav radio I could simply buy a Griffin Bluetrip Bluetooth receiver that fits in the center console cigarette lighter port and run a patch cable from it's "headphone" output jack to the consoles AUX input jack. Switching to AUX after such a connection would give me the Bluetooth audio channel! I'm going to prob go with the latter since it's just plug and play for me now!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I have reviewed the schematics but am not sure if I could install a bluetooth adapter to OLDER radios. It would all depend if, on the older radios, on the Radio X2 connector, if Pin-outs E, F and G were available or respond to AUX input or not. If they do, I could easily wire up a stereo Bluetooth receiver. The one I'd probably use is the Belkin F8Z492TTP Bluetooth Music Receiver. I'd have to access a 5V source (prob from the radio head unit). Otherwise, with the 2011+ Nav radio I could simply buy a Griffin Bluetrip Bluetooth receiver that fits in the center console cigarette lighter port and run a patch cable from it's "headphone" output jack to the consoles AUX input jack. Switching to AUX after such a connection would give me the Bluetooth audio channel! I'm going to prob go with the latter since it's just plug and play for me now!
With my LockPick, I have a 3.5M female input.

I just purchased the Griffin Bluetrip Bluetooth....thanks so much for the recommendation!! I'll post back up and we'll see how it works.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Leifmb
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joe_G
With my LockPick, I have a 3.5M female input.

I just purchased the Griffin Bluetrip Bluetooth....thanks so much for the recommendation!! I'll post back up and we'll see how it works.
No problem, let me know how it works and if you can be connected to the car's phone system AND Bluetooth audio at the same time! The Griffin Bluetrip looks like a clean "install" and a good use of that 12V port in the console!

Leif
Old 04-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Leifmb
Advanced

Also, if anyone can find the "correct" Delphi USB cable I'd appreciate it. CWGrisswold tried the documentation with no luck-Thanks! I tried that and the dealer (who called GM) with no luck. They said that it is only serviced with the Dash IP harness. It is for this reason that I used the Molex Mini-A to Mini-B patch cable and left the GM (Delphi) USB unused.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

No problem, let me know how it works and if you can be connected to the car's phone system AND Bluetooth audio at the same time! The Griffin Bluetrip looks like a clean "install" and a good use of that 12V port in the console!

Leif
I'll certainly update you...but I've got an old 05 car...no in car phone system in mine, I was rocking a Treo when I got my car.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:00 AM
Gizmo78023
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

6. Console with USB/AUX port (available from GM in various colors options). The consoles with the USB/AUX ports should come with the console harness and USB/AUX plug installed.
7. Optional: instead of #6 above, just get the console harness GM 20940291 and USB/AUX plug GM 20870101 and somehow retro to your existing console (I didn't go that route) Further note: I saw on the Delphi site that they make a USB/AUX port that fits a Cig lighter location so THAT port, if you can can find/get it, might be a slick option to retro the port instead of getting the new console. Again, I went the stock 2011+ console route.

Once you get the GM 12101876 Connector Harness, you have to install the GM12146447 terminals and then simply insert them into the correct locations on the Radio X1 and X2 plugs. After that you plug in the Molex USB patch cord 88753-8500 leaving the stock USB cord alone. Reassemble the car and away you go!

Leif
What console part number did you use that included the various harnesses and plug-in module?

Gizmo
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Leifmb
Advanced

Hi Gizmo, I used GM 20957061 which was a steel/light gray console bottom that came with the USB/AUX ports and the wiring harness. It did NOT come with the intermediate wiring harness and USB cable. It's the USB cable that is difficult. I used a modified Molex 88753-8500 as per the diagram.

-Leif
Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Captain Fantastic
Intermediate

Leif,

Thanks for such a great post. I will be installing a 2012 oem nav system into my non-nav 2012 here shortly and hope to use this post to assist me. I do have some questions, though. I did not notice the use of a PAL in your setup. Is this correct? From what I can gather, if you connect iPod to the USB connect in the (added) console then there is no need for a PAL because the USB connects (in your case using the Molex) directly to the back of the unit, right?

Also, was all the re-wiring and wiring harness that you used done so that you could make use of the aux input in the console? If I don't wish to connect the aux input in the console, could I skip all this together and only plug in a Molex usb cable to run from the console harness to the back of the nav unit?

Thanks!
-John
Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Leifmb
Advanced

Im not sure what a PAL is and dont think I used it/one! The AUX input headphone jack is part of all the wiring harness so if you just wanted to use the USB, I think yes, just get that molex cable and plug it into the back of the radio and the console.
Leif
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Leifmb
Advanced

To use Bluetooth audio with my setup (or with any newer USB/AUX factory setup), simply buy a Griffin BlueTrip Bluetooth adapter, plug it into the aux POWER receptacle in the console and connect the mini "headphone" cord to the AUX input next to the USB port. Then, you can simply play all your music through the cars radio via Bluetooth when the radio is set to AUX. The only drawback to playing music through the AUX port via Bluetooth is that the visual display of the music is NOT shown. If you connect the iphone (or similar) to the USB port, you can see what is playing and easily navigate the music etc.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Leifmb
Advanced

Oh, and one more note. If you want to use the Bluetooth with this setup you will NEED to complete the whole wiring harness as described in the instructions as the audio does go through the harness in this case. I wrote before also that the audio goes through the harness with the USB setup (in an early post of mine) but honestly I cant remember. I just figure these things out as I go and once done its the last thing on my mind! LOL. It is an all factory retrofit with the exception of that MOLEX USB cord. I don't like aftermarket stuff usually, unless its an accessory like the Griffin BlueTrip adapter that you just plug in.

Hope this helps
Leif

Get notified of new replies

To USB/AUX port retrofit completed

Old 02-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Captain Fantastic
Intermediate

Thanks Leif!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:04 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Excellent and extremely well thought out write up. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:30 PM
CorvetteSparky
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 111 Posts

Great information, especially since I was considering a retro fit of the aux and USB plugs in my '08. Does anyone know if the USB input is a recent addition to the Nav unit or do all of them have it? I was also wondering if the aux connection was just for charging or not. Now thanks to Liefmb, I have the answer!

Quick Reply: USB/AUX port retrofit completed