C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 engine, new cam no real HP gain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 PM
littlefranks
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mike had 3 cams installed .first cam ground wrong.i know it was a 1 bolt.bent all exhaust valves .installed dot to dot.second had poor drivabilty.i think it was the best cam lol.then he went with a smaller cam.but i didnot install any of the 3.who knows what cam he has lol.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:08 PM
littlefranks
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think tom reed had the best set up.car cammed great.fast as hell.no cam serge at low rpm.i would of loved to dd toms car.if i had the money i would of bought it.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:45 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by littlefranks
i think tom reed had the best set up.car cammed great.fast as hell.no cam serge at low rpm.i would of loved to dd toms car.if i had the money i would of bought it.
Did he sell it? He had advanced induction heads on it too, same as on Dougie's car, plus 3.90 gears.

It was one fast car...he was a new driver in the car with 8 runs under his belt when he did this:

Old 05-15-2012, 02:01 PM
theofel
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'13

Just to clarify the problems I had with the Spinmonster spec cam ground by Comp Cams. The first came we installed was a 230/234/114+2. As soon as Horsepower Sales installed this came and started the engine...something sounded wrong. After careful inspection we realized the intake valves were kissing the pistons. HorsePower Sales contacted Comp cams and sent that cam back for there inspection. Never heard anything from Comp cams. HPS also sent my heads out to a local machine shop to replace the intake valves...just in case there might have been some damage. HPS had another spec cam in stock( much larger) and offered it to me with the understanding that if I didn't like it they would replace it with cam of my choice. The cam was installed and was way to hairy for my taste with my A6 tranny. I did run it at the track one time and turned a 10.71@127mph...Not bad for a new cam and a positive DA of 1400+. Hated driving this cam on my daily driver and replaced it with another Spinmonster 230/234/114+2 cam. The car ran a 10.81@124mph with this set-up on a hot muggy night in South Florida. I was very dissapointed with the lack of care from Comp Cams. I also feel sorry for the expense that was incurred by HPS doing all this work on there dime. I hope this clarifies the problems that I incurred with a cam that was ground wrong.

Last edited by theofel; 05-15-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:03 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

^ just another story about why it's so important to have the cam checked by a 3rd party cam doctor or similar machine prior to installation.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Kerrdogg
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compared to Taken19's cam mine is all over the place + or - 2-3 degrees here and there, centerlines are different as are the lift numbers @ TDC.

Day 2 of Cam back, two calls and one email to my buddy's 25+ year buddy, no reply yet.

Quick Reply: LS3 engine, new cam no real HP gain?