C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best rollbars

Old 11-23-2014, 09:13 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

I would like to see a comment from Steve at Race Specialty Designs. His 6 point rollbar was installed in my 2012 Grand Sport based upon his claim it is NHRA legal to 10.00.

BIGMAC

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
NHRA/IHRA legal to 10.00, but when the interest (aka commitment) was not forthcoming, they never went into production.

SCCA and NHRA/IHRA quicker than 10.00 all require a cage, not a rollbar.

AFAIK, no one produces a NHRA/IHRA legal rollbar for C6's. There are a couple who claim they are legal, but don't actually meet the rules.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:35 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Whis9
Link to your website does not work
The website was removed.

It was a business decision to not produce rollbars based on no commitments/deposits. After spending much time to design and create a prototype and design the necessary tooling for production, plus a couple thousand for promotion, yet not getting firm orders, it was illogical to continue.

Even though many people really liked the design, the price, and especially the ability to remove them or re-install in mere minutes, the bottom line was people didn't commit.

It was amazing to learn that so many racers would spend thousands upon thousands to make the car go faster, yet cry and complain when the track kicked them out because they refused to spend anything for the safety equipment that met the rule requirements. Strangely, some of those people had no problem paying hundreds for a track rental to bypass safety rules.

Your choices are to buy something from one of the 3 known producers and hope that your track never checks to see if they meet the NHRA/IHRA rules (since they don't), or find a local fabricator to build custom bars for your car. If you go the custom route, make sure they meet ALL the requirements, especially the part that includes the attachments must be welded or bolted to the frame and not the floor or the thin sheet metal behind the seat.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:29 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
I would like to see a comment from Steve at Race Specialty Designs. His 6 point rollbar was installed in my 2012 Grand Sport based upon his claim it is NHRA legal to 10.00.

BIGMAC
The simplicity of the NHRA/IHRA roll bar rule for all Corvettes is the part that states: "All cars with OEM frame must have roll bar welded or bolted to frame". Of course, the remainder of the specifications still apply, but if the primary one fails the test, the rest become a moot point. This rule has been in place for years without changing the basic requirements.

Neither NHRA nor IHRA certify roll bars like they do roll cages for the below 10.00 cars, which means they leave compliance to the individual track operators. Just because one track or official allows a non-compliant safety item to pass their inspection, doesn't mean that all tracks and officials will approve it. No NHRA/IHRA document exists that over-rides or makes exceptions to the rule.

I made the claim that the roll bar I prototyped and intended to produce was NHRA/IHRA legal, because it met all the requirements. There is a reason for rules, but not everyone seems to follow them.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:43 PM
SlowBusa08
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
The simplicity of the NHRA/IHRA roll bar rule for all Corvettes is the part that states: "All cars with OEM frame must have roll bar welded or bolted to frame". Of course, the remainder of the specifications still apply, but if the primary one fails the test, the rest become a moot point. This rule has been in place for years without changing the basic requirements.

Neither NHRA nor IHRA certify roll bars like they do roll cages for the below 10.00 cars, which means they leave compliance to the individual track operators. Just because one track or official allows a non-compliant safety item to pass their inspection, doesn't mean that all tracks and officials will approve it. No NHRA/IHRA document exists that over-rides or makes exceptions to the rule.

I made the claim that the roll bar I prototyped and intended to produce was NHRA/IHRA legal, because it met all the requirements. There is a reason for rules, but not everyone seems to follow them.
Well for what it's worth it looks like a hell of a product.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best rollbars