C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to buy gm tech ii scan tool where to?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 04:15 PM
Legal Alien
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the post I had seen but reading it is like a foreign language to me! I'm sure I'd pick it up though and in some ways I quite like the idea of learning more.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...a-new-bcm.html

Seems the perfect partner to my helm service manual.

Cheers
Old 04-12-2016, 05:03 PM
ekdon
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
I know this topic is months old but thought I would share my experiences in this area.
I bought a Chinese-made Tech 2 clone over a year ago, knowing fully well it could never be updated beyond 2012 and could probably never be serviced if it failed. The price (~$600) was just too low to ignore, so I gritted my teeth and waited for it in the mail. The intended use was to be for personal use on my 98 Trans Am and a few similar-year F-bodies of friends, so no issues with updates would occur.
After a year it is still performing perfectly, even updating a couple PCMs using just the supplied software on DVD. No issues whatsoever. Maybe I just was lucky.
I got a cloned unit for $250 for personal use and it has worked flawlesly now for months. For those who want to do a bit of work beyond the normal DIY'R, but not in the business to do it professionally.... it has been a GREAT alternative.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:51 AM
Legal Alien
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Ekdon,

Where/who did you purchase from? I never bought one in the end as didn't need yet but would still like one.

I'm convinced they're good as I got the Volvo equivalent (vida/dice) unit from the far east for work on my daily and it is flawless.

Originally Posted by ekdon
I got a cloned unit for $250 for personal use and it has worked flawlesly now for months. For those who want to do a bit of work beyond the normal DIY'R, but not in the business to do it professionally.... it has been a GREAT alternative.
The following users liked this post:
T_Vert (04-22-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Dave-A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14
Default Buyer beware!!!

Originally Posted by ekdon
Seems a bit strange to me when a "member" has just join corvette forum this month and the one and only post he has made is to proclam how great the Tech II clone he got for $250 is!

Seems to me that if the deal is too good to be true....

Just saying...buyer beware!
Old 04-13-2016, 06:00 PM
ekdon
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Legal Alien
Hey Ekdon,

Where/who did you purchase from? I never bought one in the end as didn't need yet but would still like one.

I'm convinced they're good as I got the Volvo equivalent (vida/dice) unit from the far east for work on my daily and it is flawless.
http://www.aliexpress.com/af/gm-tech...tech+2+scanner
Old 04-13-2016, 06:02 PM
ekdon
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Dave-A
Seems a bit strange to me when a "member" has just join corvette forum this month and the one and only post he has made is to proclam how great the Tech II clone he got for $250 is!

Thank you for questioning the experience that I have had with the Cloned Unit I purchased, it has worked flawlessly, and been great...... care to give details on the cloned unit you purchased?
Old 04-13-2016, 06:04 PM
ekdon
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Legal Alien
Hey Ekdon,

go to www.aliexpress.com and put GM Tech2 into the search bar.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:44 AM
TOMCLA
2nd Gear

I own an Isuzu wizard fitted with a 3.0 td engine (4jx10 and I am experiencing some problems
is the tech2 the only scanner that can work?
I own a snap on solus ultra
Can in get any soft ware to do that job?
Old 05-23-2016, 11:25 AM
ekdon
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Bump for you . I'm in the market for a scan tool, but want a 'universal' one to be able to use in all cars. Made that decision after hearing the GM Tech II is around $1,500. Will be following your thread to see if that 's true. Can't justify that myself, but seems like you need that. Or pay a dealer/shop to get it done. Good luck.
I have been very pleased with my Cloned GM Tech 2 tool..... I paid just over @$250 for it, and it has worked flawlessly..... IF you work in our your backyard...this is the ticket for GM Vehicles.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:44 AM
ekdon
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TOMCLA
I own an Isuzu wizard fitted with a 3.0 td engine (4jx10 and I am experiencing some problems
is the tech2 the only scanner that can work?
I own a snap on solus ultra
Can in get any soft ware to do that job?
The Snap On line of scan tools will do much, but there are special functions the Tech II will do that no other scanner will do.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:05 PM
TOMCLA
2nd Gear

Default tech 11

Where did you buy this one from?
I would like to get one that works like that
Old 05-27-2016, 02:31 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

I recently bought a knock off tech2 from aliexpress.com. Works great. No complaints. I was able to activate the afterblow feature, do TPMS relearn, and FOB reprogramming. IT came with the latest software.

The only hang up is the TIS2000 software is very old and you have to emulate a windows XP desktop on your PC to actually install and update the software. But you only need to do this if you plan on using the flash feature of the Tech2 to flash ECU updates. I have no interest in this so never bothered to do it. Otherwise it works flawlessly.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:59 AM
Jackcloud
Heel & Toe

You can read the article and find GM Tech2
=deepbluesea6;1580696471]Im looking for a gm tech ii scan tool -anyone know where i can get one at?
I will need one to reprogram the bcm on c6 and i heard you can check everything else on the car to see whats working or not....
Attached Files
File Type: txt
diagnosis software.txt (305 Bytes, 161 views)

Last edited by Jackcloud; 07-20-2016 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:42 AM
GaryDoug
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Weak power supply inside instead of VRB1205LD-15W

Everyone with one of these or anyone wanting one should be aware that there is one relatively small weakness in these units that is not in the original Tech 2. There is an internal module that converts the 12v power to the 5vdc that the control circuitry uses. That module is not the original type (VRB1205LD-15W) but is a substitute part that is not as robust. This substitute part affects the stability of the unit whenever there are power surges or brief interruptions on the car's 12v bus. The substitute part will cause a reset whenever the ignition switch is operated (even with a power adapter used) or the alternator produces excess electrical noise, like at high rpm. The original part has no such weaknesses. Unless you use a few of the more advanced features (like crank position sensor relearn) you won't have a problem. I don't know the reason for the substitute but I suspect that the original manufacturer of the part is forbidden by GM to sell to anyone not licensed by GM to make a Tech 2. Hence the substitute. However you can buy the right part on AliExpress for about $20 and swap it out yourself. It does require some soldering skills in order to not damage the unit. Here is one source: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...08.0.56.wB69jd.
Make sure to specify to the vendor that this part must have all 6 pins. Some vendors are selling versions with only 4 or 5 pins, and those will work but the on/off switch will not function; the unit stays on all the time it is plugged into a 12v source.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:04 PM
GaryDoug
Advanced

Originally Posted by glenB
Considering the majority of posts/posters here are nothing more than spam, I wouldn't expect any other.

To real members, be leary of what you read here, it appears that most of the posts from 'members' are really just venders selling Chinese knock-offs, I wouldn't believe a thing they say.
Wow, I just noticed this rude comment. I am certainly not a vendor (check your spelling please) selling anything. If you want to check out the scanners I have bought, just say the word and I will supply the receipts. You shouldn't get into the habit of insulting the new members unless you feel this site has too many members already!
Old 09-21-2016, 12:36 PM
Martyn
Advanced

i have been using a clone one for a while now with no problems, I actually have 2 and will soon be letting my backup go for sale as I have not found the need for two of them
I will post up when I am ready to make it available
They are an essential tool for me who delves in to electronics on the C5 and C6 vettes
Old 06-07-2017, 02:38 PM
flyingjoey
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bought one

Originally Posted by RLSebring
I have bought, used then sold 4 of the Chineeze units and never had a problem with them. Like the post above I started out with the notion that if it didn't work or stopped working then not too big a deal. Sure beat paying an average of 4500 new or 3500 used when you can find them.

I sold my last one to my Corvette Mechanic. He's used it for about 4 years now.
Chinese one works 100 percent ..no problemaybe there are lighter but way lighter on my pocket.

Get notified of new replies

To Want to buy gm tech ii scan tool where to?

Old 06-07-2017, 04:22 PM
GaryDoug
Advanced

My 2 units are still working great after another year in use. I did upgrade them both to the original power supply part last year. I wanted them both to work perfectly for ALL functions.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:54 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave-A

Well maybe you will believe a 10 year member... I purchased a clone Tech 2 scanner 8 months ago and it works exactly like the original Tech 2 that I have used many times... The clone units are a great buy for the money, and at $275.00 if it breaks in a few years it's still worth the purchase...Believe me.. You only have to use it a couple times for it to pay for itself , dealers charge over $100.00 an hour, and dealers have a one hour minimum charge ....WW

Last edited by WW7; 06-09-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:08 AM
RayintheGreatNW
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One time use of a Tech 2 Tool

I'm upgrading my Nav unit in my 2011 Vette. I'd like to get my hands on a Tech 2 clone for a one-time use, which is to program my VIN to the new unit. I will likely never use it again.

I don't care much if Its a knock-off as long as it accomplishes my one-time objective.

Any suggestions on a reliable source?

Quick Reply: Want to buy gm tech ii scan tool where to?