C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to buy gm tech ii scan tool where to?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 AM
deepbluesea6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Want to buy gm tech ii scan tool where to?

Im looking for a gm tech ii scan tool -anyone know where i can get one at?
I will need one to reprogram the bcm on c6 and i heard you can check everything else on the car to see whats working or not....
The following users liked this post:
Jackcloud (07-18-2016)
Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Bump for you . I'm in the market for a scan tool, but want a 'universal' one to be able to use in all cars. Made that decision after hearing the GM Tech II is around $1,500. Will be following your thread to see if that 's true. Can't justify that myself, but seems like you need that. Or pay a dealer/shop to get it done. Good luck.
ekdon (05-23-2016)
Old 05-01-2012, 03:45 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ebay
Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by 2006vette10
Im looking for a gm tech ii scan tool -anyone know where i can get one at?
I will need one to reprogram the bcm on c6 and i heard you can check everything else on the car to see whats working or not....
You have access to GM programming? Not what's in the BCM now, but downloaded from GM to load into the BCM?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

with glenB - I believe you're going to have access to the GM database. If you know somebody at a dealership you might be able to get access throu them. Otherwise the subscription is probably expensive - but I don't know for sure.

Also, just FYI, the Tech 2 is apparently being superseded by an MDI unit - read a little bit about it here:

http://www.oemtools.com/homeproducts/generalmotors.html

I think all model years of the C6 may continue to use the Tech 2, but I imagine the C7 will be an MDI vehicle.

So.....I don't know much about the Tech 2 to MDI transition, but just throwing it out there for you to consider. Hopefully somebody with better knowledge of both can chime in.

Bob
Old 05-01-2012, 11:59 PM
deepbluesea6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the only ones on ebay are from sellers from china...i dont want to buy all the way from china plus i heard one guy sending his back because it didnt work(dont know full story)...another thing i thought these "GM TECH II" scanners cost around 1500.00 or more so how are they selling it for half the price unless its some replica or something or a cheaper universal version??
For the other members mentioning gm database no i do not...but i know a mechanic i use who has the gm tech II so i may just let him do it but again i dont know if he has the access to gm database to load everything?? is it not already loaded on the tech II scanner to plug and play with the BCM?
Im pretty new to this and only know little...
Old 05-02-2012, 12:53 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

You can get short term subscriptions from GM for the eSI service procedures & also for the programming data.

http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/html/tss_tech_esi.jsp

If you're just doing a 1 time BCM reprogram, it's cheaper to just have a dealer/shop do it. If you want to have a scan tool for future use, that's a different story.

Last edited by jft69z; 05-02-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006vette10
Well, the only ones on ebay are from sellers from china...i dont want to buy all the way from china plus i heard one guy sending his back because it didnt work(dont know full story)...another thing i thought these "GM TECH II" scanners cost around 1500.00 or more so how are they selling it for half the price unless its some replica or something or a cheaper universal version??
For the other members mentioning gm database no i do not...but i know a mechanic i use who has the gm tech II so i may just let him do it but again i dont know if he has the access to gm database to load everything?? is it not already loaded on the tech II scanner to plug and play with the BCM?
Im pretty new to this and only know little...
There are a lot of counterfit Tech2s out there. Especially those from China, I have heard of horror stories from people that have purchased them only to find out that they don't work as advertised, then they try to get Vetronix to fix them only to hear them laughing in their face. A real Tech2 runs $1800 without any software, and with just one cable and the obd2 connector. A full blown T2 kit runs over 2500 and that is a good buddy deal, it to does not come with software as that is a GM dealer price so its sold with the assumption that the dealer has GM access to load the software. A commercial version loaded ready to go runs well over $3000. Even then you still need a subscription to get any dealer programming. And of course that is extra. Just having the tool doesn't mean you can do any sort of controller programming unless you have a subscription to GM TIS or access to it.

The GM MDI is the new standard, but it is only for a few cars at this time. One being the new gen Camaro. It is part of the new Global Diagnostics systems that GM is steering towards. The Tech2 is still a stable workhorse of a scan tool for the GM stable. I still have an old Tech1a which I use on the older cars. My Tech2 is the only scan tool that I use when tuning our cars. I prefer it over the scanner software that is included in the tuning software. For me its much easier than wrestling with a laptop when on the dyno and especially when driving on the street.

If you had a Tech2, you could possibly talk to the dealer and have them access their TIS system to load the BCM or PCM calibration to your Tech2. Some may do it, if you were here locally I could do that for you.

Last edited by tjwong; 05-02-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Ducks13 (08-18-2021)
Old 05-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by tjwong
There are a lot of counterfit Tech2s out there. Especially those from China, I have heard of horror stories from people that have purchased them only to find out that they don't work as advertised, then they try to get Vetronix to fix them only to hear them laughing in their face. A real Tech2 runs $1800 without any software, and with just one cable and the obd2 connector. A full blown T2 kit runs over 2500 and that is a good buddy deal, it to does not come with software as that is a GM dealer price so its sold with the assumption that the dealer has GM access to load the software. A commercial version loaded ready to go runs well over $3000. Even then you still need a subscription to get any dealer programming. And of course that is extra. Just having the tool doesn't mean you can do any sort of controller programming unless you have a subscription to GM TIS or access to it.

The GM MDI is the new standard, but it is only for a few cars at this time. One being the new gen Camaro. It is part of the new Global Diagnostics systems that GM is steering towards. The Tech2 is still a stable workhorse of a scan tool for the GM stable. I still have an old Tech1a which I use on the older cars. My Tech2 is the only scan tool that I use when tuning our cars. I prefer it over the scanner software that is included in the tuning software. For me its much easier than wrestling with a laptop when on the dyno and especially when driving on the street.

If you had a Tech2, you could possibly talk to the dealer and have them access their TIS system to load the BCM or PCM calibration to your Tech2. Some may do it, if you were here locally I could do that for you.
TRUST this mans information! I purchased one from an UNNOWLEDGEABLE FRIEND for $1000

It was NOT properly updated, and would NOT work with All C5's

If your going to use it on a C6,, make SURE you have the CAN D modules.

Oh well,,,,,, Lessons learned. There are specific memory cards that you can get and I need one with all the proper updates to make mine work for JUST the C5s. There like $300-$400. The CAN D module is even MORE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 09-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Eggbag
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crusher1
Here it is at half the cost from what you said..but still pricey

http://www.uobd2.com/wholesale/gm-te...FbEDQAodEh7JBA
GM Tech2, it is too pricey for personal
some simple cables may help
I searched kinds of elm327 usb at the link you post
Old 09-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggbag
GM Tech2, it is too pricey for personal
some simple cables may help
I searched kinds of elm327 usb at the link you post
Problem is that solution like the scanners you can buy in the auto parts store is incomplete. All it lets you do is access OBDII codes which are about 55% of the codes that can occur on the car. The other 45% are where you have issues and where a lot of failures occur. If you do nothing to the ECM you can go for years and many thousands of miles without ever needing to read the OBDII codes.

Bill
Old 09-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Be careful when you purchase a TECH2. I paid $1000 for one and come to find out it had been YEARS since it was updated and wouldn't recognize C5 past 2000.

I paid to have it up dated and that wouldn't even work. It came with a 10 Meg SD card and needed a new 30meg SD card with the correct GM programs(another $100)

I purchased one off the Internet and I also purchased a CAN-D module off the Internet so I can support C6 diagnosis and programming.

Well,,,, At least I have one now that works and supports up to 2013 platforms
Old 09-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Eggbag
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this one GM Tech2 at uobd2 is much more cheaper
is this uobd2 a good dealer?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggbag
this one GM Tech2 at uobd2 is much more cheaper
is this uobd2 a good dealer?
Thats a counterfeit tech2 from china. I paid 3000 for my tech2 with software 10 years ago. They are more than that now for the real deal. You know the saying if its too good to be true, its likely that it is, and in this deal if it were true I would buy two or three of them as back ups!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Update I purchased the correct updated memory card off the internet with the GM Calibrations and I purchase a used CANDi module so I can use it on my C6.
My GM TECH 2 is now fully functional for F body, C5 and C6. It cost me a lot more than the initial $1000 that I thought was a good deal. Lesson learned..

If you get a used one,,, MAKE SURE it is properly updated, has the correct memory card and has all the required adaptors and cables otherwise,, it just a pretty paper weight!

Bill
Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i just seen one on here for sale $1200 and its updated till 2010 so it will do 2011 c6
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChopperLoco
GM(genuine) Tech 2 Scanner
No Candi
Updated late 2010,good for 2011 model years
32 MB card
about 6 years old
$1200 Shipping/paypal included
here it is

Get notified of new replies

To Want to buy gm tech ii scan tool where to?

Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

to late it might be sold
Old 02-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Try to find one from dealer that went out of business. You have to be careful for knock offs. I paid $6500 for my full kit from Vetronix. You can get them with just the cables from OTC but they are around 3K, you will also need the candi module which is another 1k. Once you have that it is just a scanner, you cannot flash any module in the car unless you have the Tis2Web account which is $1395 per year. You can buy access for 3 days I believe for but I do not know what that would cost. Plain and simple you are not going to get one of these cheap unless there is something wrong with it. Everything on the GM platform has been moving to the MDI box. The MDI has a Tech2 mode on it and I believe it will read all the C6's. The MDI is around $1700 not including your laptop. Still have to have the subscription to tis2web and you have get that subscription before you can download the software for your MDI.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:13 AM
GaryDoug
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I know this topic is months old but thought I would share my experiences in this area.
I bought a Chinese-made Tech 2 clone over a year ago, knowing fully well it could never be updated beyond 2012 and could probably never be serviced if it failed. The price (~$600) was just too low to ignore, so I gritted my teeth and waited for it in the mail. The intended use was to be for personal use on my 98 Trans Am and a few similar-year F-bodies of friends, so no issues with updates would occur.
After a year it is still performing perfectly, even updating a couple PCMs using just the supplied software on DVD. No issues whatsoever. Maybe I just was lucky.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want to buy gm tech ii scan tool where to?