C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 C6 Key Fob and Door Lock Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 11:32 AM
blueacre
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2008 C6 Key Fob and Door Lock Problem

I have a 2008 Corvette C6 Coupe. I went to start it yesteday in the garage and got the "No Key FOB Detected" message. The car was already ulocked so I didnt have to use the remote lock button. I got my spare key fob and same error message. I tried the lock and unlock buttons on both key fobs and no response from either. Locked the doors manually and tried to unlock with the remotes and got nothing. Had to open the hatch with the key and use the manual door release to get in.

I tried both key fobs in the glove compartment slot and car starts fine that way so I assume it is recognizing the key fobs OK.

I thought it might be a weak battery in the key fob but hard to beleive both would stop working the same time. I will get new batteries later today and try that.

Any suggestions on what else the problem could be other than key fob batteries when the remote door locks dont work and the no key fob detected error but will start in the glove box slot.

Appreciate any suggestions before I pay the dealer to troubleshoot

thanks
Gary
Old 05-19-2012, 12:08 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I'd have to say its certainly battery related. Either car battery or fob battery. Either that or something interfering with signal.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:13 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

You may have some RFI in close proximity to the car. Plugging it in the glovebox made it a hardwired connection. Try driving it out to the street or down the road and testing it there. Don't allow your cell phone to be within 50 feet of the fobs or the car when you test it.

I once had a radio in my garage that would randomly interfere with the remote door opener. Turning off the radio solved the problem. It cost me nearly $200 to learn that lesson.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Groundgrubs
Advanced

Default Same Key Fob issue today

Mine too - My 2008 is reacting the same way - once in while i would have an issue, but today, both fobs not detected. and ok to start in glove box slot. Top is off and safety key works -

Is it the car battery?

I changed both fob batteries about 2 months ago, and only use 1.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:28 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

very strange things happen when the car batt. starts to go. if you have new fob batts., that would be my next guess: the car batt. btw, I just changed my '08s car batt.; yours are both '08s, too.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:05 PM
blueacre
Intermediate

Default Problem solved

thanks for the feedback - I changed the batteries in both fobs today and everything is working fine - hard to believe that the battery in both fobs died at the same time but that seems to be what happened.

Will keep my fingers crossed for a while to see if the problem returns

canadaflag:
Old 05-20-2012, 01:53 AM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groundgrubs
Mine too - My 2008 is reacting the same way - once in while i would have an issue, but today, both fobs not detected. and ok to start in glove box slot. Top is off and safety key works -

Is it the car battery?

I changed both fob batteries about 2 months ago, and only use 1.
Originally Posted by blueacre
thanks for the feedback - I changed the batteries in both fobs today and everything is working fine - hard to believe that the battery in both fobs died at the same time but that seems to be what happened.

Will keep my fingers crossed for a while to see if the problem returns

canadaflag:
So what was your experiences with changing the fob batteries? There was a post or two recently where 08 or newer fobs ended up broken or not going back together well when the battery was swapped .
Old 05-20-2012, 07:41 AM
blueacre
Intermediate

Default replacing fob batteries

I didn't have any real problem changing the fob batteries. I took them apart once to check the voltage with a meter and a second time to replace them. Just pulled the key out of the end and used a screwdriver in the open slot where the key goes to pry one corner open and then worked the tip of the screw driver down the one side to pry it the rest of the way.

You have to be a little careful putting it together - the printed circuit board is loose and you have to make sure it is in the proper location - hold the piece with the ciruit board on the bottom so it lays on top of the fob half in the proper place.

Lay the part with the battery in it over the other piece with the battery facing down. Be careful to make sure the button that releases the metal key goes into the proper opening when you snap the two pieces together.

By the way - the batteries are 3 volt and when I checked the old ones with a meter they were 2.97 Volts which I thought at first meant they were OK. Obviously they were not because they didnt work with those batteries and as soon as I replaced the batteries they worked fine.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Johns94Z
Advanced

I just had the same thing happen to my 08. Both fobs went down together I kind of find it hard to believe that it's the remote batteries. But my symptoms are pretty much exactly the same as other posters here. So I'm at wally world. Ill post an update soon.

**UPDATE**
Replaced the battery in both fobs. Measured 2.7v off the old ones and 3.2v on the new ones going in. Both fobs work fine now. I expected to have to re-program them but I didn't have to. I still can't believe how they both died together on cue.

Last edited by Johns94Z; 11-26-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 C6 Key Fob and Door Lock Problem

Quick Reply: 2008 C6 Key Fob and Door Lock Problem