C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling System

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:28 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by franman69
Bill.. thanks for the insight on the wheel speed sensors. The reason I explained is why I suspect the steering column connector. Also, my DIC Message "Service Active Handling" has always occurred after the startup self-test sequence... never while in motion. This is of course, right after the steering column has telescoped out (for whatever that's worth). I still haven't seen it since I programmed the steering column to stay put... My car is a 2007 (not under the recall bulletin) but I was thinking the 'comb' would still be applicable to my car. Do you know if it is???
It may already be in the connector. Cars that weren't affected by the recall had it installed at the factory. I just plugged my steering sensor connector back together yesterday. When I reached up and moved the telescopic wheel out the wires moved just a little bit. It looks like the harness may be a little short and the motion tugs the wires in the connector. With the comb in place it didn't move.

It is easy to get access to the connector. Just pull the close out panel below the dash/steering column down (there are 3 push pins holding it up) and look up at the bottom of the steering column. You will see the connector right in front of you. If it has a comb remove the comb and then disconnect the connector and spray contact cleaner in both the female and male sides of the connector. Reconnect them and reinsert the comb and see what happens.

Another thing to look out for is how the comb is inserted into the connector. The comb and the connector have grooves to guide the wires through the connector shell to where the contacts are plugged in. It is easy to get the wires out of the grooves and when you shove the comb into place it pinches the wires between the high spots of the grooves instead of the low spots.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
corrado (08-12-2016)
Old 09-26-2013, 10:56 AM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, I gotta take a look at this, but you know how it goes.. problems that are 'current' get my first attention. Track season is over for me this year, so I'm in 'project' mode and Sunday cruises... (taking my car to work on really nice days like this one!!).. Thanks Bill. I think I'll order one of the combs before I take it apart. I understand the part costs like $2... why not. I can also take apart the connector and just clean everything up. Thanks for the heads up on how to install the Comb.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:52 AM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is on everytime I start it, and goes off if I hit the reset button until I start the car again.

Any suggestions? Tech 2 shows no codes.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:56 PM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by No. 386
Happened to me once on my 07. Disconnected the battery, then reconnected it and the message went away and hasn't come back since. That was about 4 months ago. Probably jinxed myself. I'll find out tomorrow : (
Unbelievable!!!! It came on yesterday.......you can't tell me this jinx stuff is not real!!!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:38 AM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

happened to me twice, late 20 K's and late 30 K's. each time I needed to add some brake fluid as it had lowered a bit past half low. I had the brakes inspected and all was well... just needed to top off a bit
Old 11-26-2013, 05:04 AM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Good info in this thread, any other suggestions, or any other fixes that others have experienced?
Old 02-01-2014, 07:04 PM
gdfther412
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrcomer
I have a 2008 C6 and since I purchased it new I have had it at least nine times due to the "Service Active Handling System" light. I have had occasions where the brake lights are on constantly. At times when I have jumped on the throttle the indicator light would come on. At other times it happens going slowly in a straight line, twice going 50MPH, once 30MPH and once in a parking lot going about 5MPH. It is at the dealer right now for the third time in one week. They change switches around and once it seemed related to the ABS system but nothing seems to work.
Have others had this experience? Thanks.

I know this is an older post but I just had a similar problem in my 2010 base model (28000 miles). All it ended up being was a disconnected spark plug wire. plugged it back in and problem solved other than the CEL that a quick reset at a local dealership took care of. This obviously wont be the solution to the problem 100% of the time but let it be one of the first things you check when encountering the CEL, Service Active Handling, and Service Traction Control lights.
VYMIKE (05-15-2016)
Old 02-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Indy-V
Advanced

Originally Posted by J Christensen
happened to me twice, late 20 K's and late 30 K's. each time I needed to add some brake fluid as it had lowered a bit past half low. I had the brakes inspected and all was well... just needed to top off a bit
I too had the SAH alarm then got a low brake fluid alarm on the DIC. Topped up the brake fluid and all is well. The brake fluid was not very low on the brake fluid reservoir either. I guess the sensor is really sensitive for the fluid level.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:44 PM
jrcomer
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service Active Handling

Originally Posted by jrcomer
I have a 2008 C6 and since I purchased it new I have had it at least nine times due to the "Service Active Handling System" light. I have had occasions where the brake lights are on constantly. At times when I have jumped on the throttle the indicator light would come on. At other times it happens going slowly in a straight line, twice going 50MPH, once 30MPH and once in a parking lot going about 5MPH. It is at the dealer right now for the third time in one week. They change switches around and once it seemed related to the ABS system but nothing seems to work.
Have others had this experience? Thanks.
The problem was resolved by a Cadillac dealer ! The entire wiring harness had to be replaced. No problems since.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Dlauth
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SAH comes on when driving, most of the time in parking lots.

Is there anyway to narrow it down to what sensors are potentially causing this issue?

Thank you
Old 09-23-2014, 09:26 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlauth
SAH comes on when driving, most of the time in parking lots.

Is there anyway to narrow it down to what sensors are potentially causing this issue?

Thank you
Need to pull the codes but likely Steering wheel position sensor or connector. Do you have a retractable steering wheel?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-thread.html

http://s680.photobucket.com/user/NVL...116-1.jpg.html

Last edited by StKnoWhere; 09-23-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:36 AM
rob20rx7
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Service Active Handling on Z06

Had this come up on my 2009 Z06 yesterday after finishing my SC install. Comes on and I have to cycle through the active handling to turn it off and then back on. It will stay off and maybe come on while im driving. What I did notice is that Competitive driving mode is no longer an option on my display. I had this issue come up once and it was Spark plug cable #3 that was loose. but time all is on correctly. the only thing i can think of to try next is that My washer tank is empty waiting for Methanol. So it displays this the whole time. maybe this can be the cause. im going to fill it tomorrow morning.

any other suggestions?

Old 02-09-2016, 06:39 PM
whiteboy444
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Put me on the list of those gettin this damn error....

It's happened to me twice now, driving on my way to work at about 50-60 mph. The car jerks to the left like the left front brake has been applied for a split second, the brake releases, the the "Service Active Handling" message appears on the DIC. The message goes away after I restart the car.

2007 with 43K miles, doesn't have a telescopic steering wheel....
Old 02-10-2016, 05:29 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteboy444
Put me on the list of those gettin this damn error....

It's happened to me twice now, driving on my way to work at about 50-60 mph. The car jerks to the left like the left front brake has been applied for a split second, the brake releases, the the "Service Active Handling" message appears on the DIC. The message goes away after I restart the car.

2007 with 43K miles, doesn't have a telescopic steering wheel....
Hey whiteboy444,

I regret to hear of this unexpected concern you’re experiencing with your Corvette and apologize for any inconvenience caused. Have you brought this to your dealership’s attention? If you would like, I can certainly reach out to them to facilitate an appointment and provide an additional layer of assistance. Please send us a private message along with your VIN, full contact information, and preferred dealership if this is something of interest.

Sincerely,

Julie C
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 02-11-2016, 08:28 AM
rob20rx7
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I took it to the dealer and they told me it could be the steering wheel sensor. part was not covered under extended warranty so i purchased the part and installed it and no change. Topped off my Brake fluid resvior which was not really low to begin with and still no change. every time i get in the car and start it the SAHS light is on. i have to cycle through the button twice to get it to go away.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:53 PM
dart.deanda
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am getting Service Active Handling, Service Traction Control, the Active Handling System light, and wait for it... Theft Deterrent System Security Light, right of the water temp gage, below the Headlights On indicator and basically where the rev indicator points at 750 RPM. They all four come on and won't go away until I turn off the car, and sometimes they are still there. Car did all these to me about 10 months ago, and then mostly went away. They're just... back now. I was all freaked out before reading how the car might just face plant/left/right turn unexpectedly which never happened. I am considering replacing the Steering Wheel Sensor and installing "the clip" if it's not in there. Anybody have a how to on the sensor replacement? Cheers!
Old 05-15-2016, 08:55 PM
VYMIKE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gdfther412
I know this is an older post but I just had a similar problem in my 2010 base model (28000 miles). All it ended up being was a disconnected spark plug wire. plugged it back in and problem solved other than the CEL that a quick reset at a local dealership took care of. This obviously wont be the solution to the problem 100% of the time but let it be one of the first things you check when encountering the CEL, Service Active Handling, and Service Traction Control lights.
I have had the SAH light come on in my 2008 on 3 different occasions now. Every time it has come on, it won't re-appear after I shut the car off and restart it. All 3 times, it never causes any problems with the car.....Until today. I was on the interstate Cruising at 20 mph due to a crash off the side of the road. The Service Active Handling light came on again, and after about 10 seconds my car started to run funny. It felt as though it was running on 7 cylinders.
The fumes from the exhaust were rich. I pulled into the store where I was going and popped the hood to find the #1 cylinder spark plug wire was detached from the coil. I have had the performance wires on the car for 15 months. How the hell does the wire "pop" off at 20 mph?
I reconnected it and restarted the car. No more problems for now.

After getting home, I connected my scanner to the car. It read a code for multiple misfires. I already knew that, so cleared the code. No codes pulled for the SAH though. Hopefully that fixed the problem. Time will tell.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling System

Old 06-28-2016, 07:24 PM
whiteboy444
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hey whiteboy444,

I regret to hear of this unexpected concern you’re experiencing with your Corvette and apologize for any inconvenience caused. Have you brought this to your dealership’s attention? If you would like, I can certainly reach out to them to facilitate an appointment and provide an additional layer of assistance. Please send us a private message along with your VIN, full contact information, and preferred dealership if this is something of interest.

Sincerely,

Julie C
Chevrolet Customer Care
No ma'am I haven't. I rather not take my car to a dealership just to throw money at the problem hoping to find a fix for the problem. I'll continue to monitor the forums and see what I find out. Thank you for the offer though.
CRB357 (06-08-2022)
Old 07-02-2016, 04:00 PM
Yaupon
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 127 Posts

Today, get the SAH and STC system warnings in the DIC and the corresponding warning light. Car also started running rough and the engine warning light comes on. OBD II tool indicates a misfire on cylinder #4 . Check the #4 spark plug wire and sure enough it was completely off the coil pack. Reconnected plug wire...start the car and it runs great with all the DIC warnings and dash lights gone .

Car is a 2013 base coupe, 1LT, 6M, 21K miles and completely stock. Just my .02 on the topic.

Last edited by Yaupon; 07-03-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:13 AM
gr86ss
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

I had the service active handling light that would come on after driving 3-4 miles in the car. I noticed that the steering wheel wasn't perfectly straight, it was more at 1 o'clock instead of being at 12 o'clock. Got an alignment and had the steering wheels straighten and light hasn't come back on since.
Yaupon (07-05-2016)

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling System