C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 C6 - 2nd gear grind and lockout

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 06:20 PM
nme904
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 C6 - 2nd gear grind and lockout

Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2011 base c6 with a manual transmission. The car had about 5000 miles on it when I bought it and is now right at 7000. The transmission has been smooth and flawless until today.

I drove from my house to a nearby gas station and as i went from 1st to 2nd, the tranny wouldn't go into 2nd and made a loud sound, but it didn't quite sound like a metallic grind that I have heard on other transmissions, but I'm not too sure how to describe it other than to say it was a grind sound. I thought i might have just not had the clutch all the way down, but then it happened again as I left the gas station. I was sure I had the clutch completely to the floor at that point.

I drove the car for another thirty minutes on the interestate and then slowed down and did about 10 1-2 shifts with no problems. Any thoughts on what is going on here? I would be surprised if it were a syncrho going bad this early. Thankfully it is under warranty for a while if that is the issue.

The other thing that I have noticed is the 1-4 shift indicator doesnt seem to stay lit very long, and I have never had a problem being locked out of 2nd. I assumed the previous owner added the 1-4 shift modification, but I really don't know. Would the transmission make a sound if it is trying to be forced into second when the car is trying to force a 1-4 shift?

Thanks for any advice!

Quick Reply: 2011 C6 - 2nd gear grind and lockout