C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

npp exhaust open vs bullets

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:08 PM
1sc334
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default npp exhaust open vs bullets

i heard a set of mufflers with the npp on them and my question is open wat are the difference between them n b&b bullets 06 dont have that option n the only ones that fit are ones from 08 unless i by a later model mid pipe so im just trying to get an idea of wat the bullets would sound like compared to an open npp exhaust
Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

A club member had the bullets on his car for one weekend, 'til his wife said she'd never ride in it again until he replaced them.

Driving behind him, his car with the bullets sounded far noisier than our NPP with the valves open.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:47 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Bullets vs NPP = not even close!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Even my b&b prt are louder than npp with the valves open.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:52 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Bullets vs NPP = not even close!
How can they be that much noisier (with just an axleback change) if mufflers get completely bypassed with NPP open??? NPP gets ear splitting loud at large throttle openings. And inside the car NPP drones pretty bad at certain rpm too. Having said that, I don't personally like the sound of NPP open very much, especially at low throttle openings, so I'm sure aftermarket systems can improve upon that. But maybe it's just GM's firing order, since my car has what looks like a very effective factory X-pipe., and still has the 'motorboat' sound.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
How can they be that much noisier (with just an axleback change) if mufflers get completely bypassed with NPP open??? NPP gets ear splitting loud at large throttle openings. And inside the car NPP drones pretty bad at certain rpm too. Having said that, I don't personally like the sound of NPP open very much, especially at low throttle openings, so I'm sure aftermarket systems can improve upon that. But maybe it's just GM's firing order, since my car has what looks like a very effective factory X-pipe., and still has the 'motorboat' sound.
There is no posible way NPP is "bypassing" the mufflers. If you listen to Bullets or Xtreme you know the definite difference compared to NPP.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Orange05_C6
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have bullets on my 05.

Bullets = Best Sounding Exhaust Eva
Old 06-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Or you can get the B&B Fusions, which are a bi-mode like the factory NPP system -- but sound and look a lot better. They are really similar to their bullets when open, and pretty mild when closed (unless you have headers, a cam and no cats).
Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Orange05_C6
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was guna get the fusions but I realized, why spend so much more for something that I won't even use. I figured I'd keep them open all the time so I just saved my money and went with the bullets and super glad I did
Old 06-13-2012, 12:57 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

There is no posible way NPP is "bypassing" the mufflers. If you listen to Bullets or Xtreme you know the definite difference compared to NPP.
If you have ever seen the cut open Z06 mufflers you would have noticed the outlet with the valve is a straight pipe that goes directly to the inlet of the muffler so when the valve opens the muffler turns into a straight pipe. The older ones had holes cut in the pipe to let some of the exhaust pass through the muffled side but the newer ones have a solid pipe. The bullets are nothing but a straight pipe as well so from a power stand point they aren't any better.

Bill
Old 06-13-2012, 09:02 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you have ever seen the cut open Z06 mufflers you would have noticed the outlet with the valve is a straight pipe that goes directly to the inlet of the muffler so when the valve opens the muffler turns into a straight pipe. The older ones had holes cut in the pipe to let some of the exhaust pass through the muffled side but the newer ones have a solid pipe. The bullets are nothing but a straight pipe as well so from a power stand point they aren't any better.

Bill
This is a long read but clearly states IF that is a fact, GM, is violating state laws.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...s/viewall.html
Old 06-14-2012, 06:35 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

This is a long read but clearly states IF that is a fact, GM, is violating state laws.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...s/viewall.html
You lost me. Every state law I've seen is when the vehicle is at idle or up to 2500 rpms. NPP is not working at that RPM range.

If you bypass the exhaust, YOU are responsible, not GM. No different than anyone that has made car, truck or motorcyle exhaust systems "louder".

If you disagree, I recommend you start another thread, so we don't hijack this one any further.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:06 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Seadawg
You lost me. Every state law I've seen is when the vehicle is at idle or up to 2500 rpms. NPP is not working at that RPM range.

If you bypass the exhaust, YOU are responsible, not GM. No different than anyone that has made car, truck or motorcyle exhaust systems "louder".

If you disagree, I recommend you start another thread, so we don't hijack this one any further.
You're not paying attention. Someone said the GM's NPP bypasses the muffler so that would put GM in violation of state laws. Does that clear it up for you?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

To get technical, the NPP does not bypass the mufflers. The exhaust goes into the muffler and comes out of the muffler, no bypass.

Of course, nothing happens to the exhaust while it is in the muffler; but it did go through the muffler and did not bypass.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

NPP is the best exhaust option available in my opinion. I love the way mine sounds with the valves open and closed. Two of my friends had Corsa and one had B&B and now they all have NPP. Won't have drone either with NPP. Here is mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MPlN...e_gdata_player
Old 06-14-2012, 02:12 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

You're not paying attention. Someone said the GM's NPP bypasses the muffler so that would put GM in violation of state laws. Does that clear it up for you?
Can't you realize we're talking about NPP with VALVES OPEN??? Geez. In stock form they open at 3,500 rpm most of the times. But you can easily and cheaply add a switch to leave them open all the time, like if you had a louder axle back system. But you always have the option to quiet it down immediately if desired.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:16 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Can't you realize we're talking about NPP with VALVES OPEN??? Geez. In stock form they open at 3,500 rpm most of the times. But you can easily and cheaply add a switch to leave them open all the time, like if you had a louder axle back system. But you always have the option to quiet it down immediately if desired.
You're right, being a plumber for 38 years I don't understand the basic fundamentals of opening and closing a valve. Sorry for my confusion.

Get notified of new replies

To npp exhaust open vs bullets

Old 06-14-2012, 07:15 PM
3XBlack6spd
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default bullets

I had the NPP's on my car, pulled the fuse so they stayed open at all times. I've since replaced the whole exhaust, headers, X-pipe, and Bullets. I did just the Bullets first. Obvioulsy now it screams, and Drones like a mother! It was Way louder with just the Bullets too. The drone is a bit much. If you don't like drone, or noise, don't do bullets! I love it, and Think a car with a 427 should be a loud! But that's just me!

To sum it up.. NPP's do not compare to Bullets.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:17 PM
3XBlack6spd
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default npp

By the way.. My NPP exhaust if for sale if you want it! Like brand new, pulled of my car (2008 Z06) with 4,000 miles. I'll take $600.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:40 AM
Divvi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3XBlack6spd
By the way.. My NPP exhaust if for sale if you want it! Like brand new, pulled of my car (2008 Z06) with 4,000 miles. I'll take $600.
Take it, that's a great price.

Quick Reply: npp exhaust open vs bullets