C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c6 brake squeal

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Bigdaddyjavy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c6 brake squeal

To start; im at my wits end with the brake noise enough to want to trade the car in. I purchased my 05c6 2 years ago, they started squealing so I changed the pads to (oem) ac delco ceramic pads. They still squeal very loudly. So I changed again to different ceramic pads. Still horrible. So I went a bought a set of brakemotive pads and drilled and slotted rotors (from a forum vendor) and they are the worst sounding and smelling rotors and pads ive ever encountered. So with all that said who can recommend a rotor, and pad replacement combo for the stock rotors and pads? Im only looking for recommendations if you have put them on your c6 and have zero squeal! Thanks!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Atomic C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I had the same problem with the OE pads and rotors during the first 5k miles I had the car. Local dealer told me to break very hard from 65 to zero several times to heat and clean off the pads. I had to do it several times over a month or two but it worked. Currentlly have 50+K on them no squeaking at all since.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Atomic C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Check this thread as well

Try the glazing and bedding procedures in this thread it should help.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...rformance.html
Old 06-26-2012, 01:48 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I replaced the squealing stock pads on my '05 Z51 with AC Delco ceramics. Didn't do any resurfacing on the rotors. Didn't use any anti squeak lube. I'm sure it has to do with the bedding process. I ran it up to 65mph and quickly down to 10 about 10 times letting them cool in between for a few minutes. Took it home and parked it for a few hours then went back out and did the same thing 3 more times and then a few normal stop and goes. Never let my foot stay on the brake for more than a few seconds while doing all that. I have no noise at all and no dust to speak of.
Oh, and one more thing. I did not use the new pad clips that came with the new pads. I left the old one's in place and used them.

Last edited by EVRose; 06-26-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:39 PM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the AC Delco ceramics with no lube and they squealed. Put a very thin layer of lube between the pads and calipers and that took care of it. If you are installing multiple sets of brake pads dry, there is a good chance they are going to squeal no matter what you install. And as has also been said, many reports about the proper bedding procedure eliminating squeals.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:39 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Search is your friend. Many have used Akebono ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pads. No Squeal, very little dust at all. No bedding. Amazon seems to have the best price on them.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:27 AM
MINI&aVette
Racer

I second the Akebono pads. No bedding and never a sound.

Get notified of new replies

To c6 brake squeal

Quick Reply: c6 brake squeal