C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

El Cheapo Meth

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Kerrdogg
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default El Cheapo Meth

Not trying to step on anyone's toes here just offering advice from a few years of playing with the stuff. Installing a kit on the shop race car tomorrow, a single turbo Mustang and after driving my car today (94 degrees out) I think I am going to fab up a kit and try it on the N/A vette.

Hit me up with any questions, there are plenty of complete kits out there, some people like doing things themselves, for those people I give you...

The ELCheapo Meth Kit

Spray nozzle

McMaster.com

1/8"3178K61 $6.79 .75 GPH @60 psi *** Should be perfect for N/A cars
1/8"3178K62 $6.79 1.5 GPH @60 psi

Pump

Northerntool.com

Item # 342811

SHURflo On-Demand Diaphragm Pump — 1 GPM, 60 PSI, 12 Volt, Model# 8000-543-238BX $59.99

Misc.

RacePartSolutions.com Use code 001 @ checkout and save 10% or call me and I’ll hook you up!

4) ALP-88000 1/8 pipe to ¼ high pressure hose $15.00
10 Feet) ALP-12h-041 ¼ high pressure hose $5
1) Fragola 491001 1/8” Female coupler $2.94
2) Fragola 491203 3/8” to 1/8” reducers $7.62

RPM Switch

Summitracing.com
SUM-830449-1 $44.95
Will need to double check this will work with coil on plug, if not there are others that do for under $100.

Universal Coolant tank

Ebay.com $18 Decent size, free shipping, an alternative to drilling your W/W jug on your car.

That’s all you really need, the 1/8” adapter will allow you to weld to aluminum or epoxy / RTV Silicone into place. The 60 PSI pump is fine for N/A applications, it does have a regulator you can bypass to pickup pressure. The smaller nozzle is probably best for N/A cars, on turbo cars we start with 5 GPM and some guys use as much as 15 GPH on high boost . If you are running boost a Hobbs Switch can be substituted for the RPM switch, or use both. You can Spray too much, the car will bog and I have hydro locked one engine, well it still ran just bent valves. I prefer using straight Meth vs WW Fluid, it makes more power and is easier to tune. The above is a summary of what it takes to install a Meth kit, consult you favorite tuner for advice and use at your own risk.

Total came up to $160.00!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:28 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Bet the pump will eat through the stock diaphragm and gaskets in a month with 100% meth.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Kerrdogg
Pro

We have 3 years on one pump, with over two years of that being straight meth and several other friends with the same setup. If you go to Northern's site the 2nd recommendation is from a guy spraying Meth, these pumps have Viton seals as they were designed to spray fertilizer, nasty stuff in it's own right. This is the same pump Snow used before they switched to the higher pressure Shurflo, the reason for higher pressure is that under a boost condition of say 20 psi the stock pump could only overcome it by 40 psi and the atomization pattern would suffer. The idea here is you want a fine mist to dilute as much hot air as possible to cool the intake charge.

This stuff isn't for everybody, I just wanted to show that just like NOS you don't have to spend a fortune on a prebuilt kit, some people like the assurance of that others like to strike out on their own, there is no right or wrong, just passing along info.

BTW our first Meth test vehicle was a turbo charged (70mm) 91 Mustang coupe, 100% street car, 3.08 gears, AOD trans, stock engine except Dart Iron heads. The reason for the heads was to gain deck strength so we wouldn't lift the heads and blow gaskets like stock. The Darts flowed a little better than GT-40's and also weighed 60 lbs more for the pair. The car ran a best ET of 10.34 @ 134 mph with 2.0 60 ft's. If this engine combo would have been installed in an average 2800lb Mustang with a stall convertor and 3.55 gears it would have been a mid 9 second performer. In the end we ended up bending rods which never happens in a 5.0 engine (they usually split the block) it developed a vibration so we pulled it apart, it was amazing and into the dumpster it went. We sold the heads and installed a 6.0 LS engine and 4L80 with twin 70's and sold it, I'll just say it's a little quicker now.

Last edited by Kerrdogg; 06-30-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:05 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Wow...I only got 3 years out of Alky Control/ECS pump before I needed it rebuilt due to a degradation in pressure. I thought they upgraded the gaskets and stuff with something more tolerant of meth. You did good!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Great post Kerrdogg...I think I would really like one of these kits.

Would you mind taking some pictures of the install to post up?

Heck when are you doing it? I'd like to come up and give you a hand so I can learn for mine!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Kerrdogg
Pro

Originally Posted by TTZ06VETTE
Wow...I only got 3 years out of Alky Control/ECS pump before I needed it rebuilt due to a degradation in pressure. I thought they upgraded the gaskets and stuff with something more tolerant of meth. You did good!
I'll have to check with Darin and see if he added anything to the meth to add lubrication, I know we add a little Marvel Mystery oil to our E85 setups, in your case I bet the Meth just dried out the seals.

Joe- I'll let you know if I am going to mess with the Vette, have a setup here for the shop race car I need to install, but I think I am going to work on the B-King instead so I can check that off the complete for know check list and get it out of here before it gets stabbed with a 20ft section of 6" tubing.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:34 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

great ingenuity !
Old 06-30-2012, 07:13 PM
marine&hisvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting...
Old 07-22-2012, 06:41 AM
windwalker436
5th Gear

I've been following this post and need an rpm switch for a 2009 Challenger and was wondering Kerrdogg if you found out if that switch would work on a coil-per cylinder????
Also I would like to share a little experience with you folks...I am no expert on meth injection but have been doing it for 26 years on 2 cars with turbos and have made about every mistake you can make doing this and it can get expensive. My experience is this....use the proper pump with the proper seals for the specific type of alcohol that you run and don't put any oil in it. I used to drop standard in-tank fuel pumps into the windshield washer bottle back in the old days and pump straight methanol and the pumps would last for a bout a summer then something bad would happen when the pump would OD at a bad time. The Northern tool pump may work but it may have Viton seals in it and it may not hold up for extended periods. I think you want to use Buna seals. Viton is ok for a while according to reactivity charts I see for methanol but the meth will take a toll on it eventually.
The meth pumps I use are specific to methanol and even changing to isopropyl is not recommended according to my salesman. I do know this for sure that mixing oil with methanol will or may wipe out a methanol specific seal. I used to use NOS solenoids for methanol and they would seize up, pumps would screw up and I couldn't figure out why and it turns out the oil I was adding was reacting to the seal or o-ring material. I quit using oil. Since I have been following the rules I have had no problems plus I be sure and purge the methanol out if the system every winter with a water flush. Mixing water with the methanol substantially reduces the reactivity of it on various materials.
Hope this helps.
Let me know kerrdogg on the switch when you get a chance.
Thanks.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:17 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by windwalker436
I would like to share a little experience with you folks.
Interesting, thanks for posting.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Kerrdogg
Pro

I know Raptor makes a switch that will work as the shift lights work in the C6's coil on plug. I just picked up a Jeg's branded switch that is very nice and ran $48 if I remember correctly. I haven't had a chance to try it out as I have been busy framing my carport into a garage. Tired of the dirty car comments .
Old 07-23-2012, 01:46 AM
marine&hisvette
Burning Brakes

I bought everything above besides the tank because I plan on using my ww tank.. I'm going to follow spinmonsters guide on installing a meth kit.. I won't be tuning the car for meth though. I haven't bought the rpm switch yet because you are un-assure if it'll work...
Old 07-23-2012, 08:33 AM
windwalker436
5th Gear

I was checking out the raptor shift lights with the idea of tapping into it and getting at the wires that feed the LED's but it may not be as easy as it sounds. I will check with Raptor about the switch only, if possible. I am still curious about the Jegs switch, I wasn't sure if they would work..Be sure and let me know when you try it kerrdogg.
On my turbo cars I always ran straight methanol in the injection but in the Challenger all I need is 50/50 and the guy at Snow Performance (alcohol injection) told me his boss uses the 50/50 in the windshield washer jug and also cleans his windshield with it as well. Cool. I need a bulkhead fitting with a methanol tolerant buna o-ring to tap into the bottom of the jug. Always come out of the rear of the jug and make sure your lines down to the pump (mine is behind the bumper) go downhill so the air bubbles will come back to the tank and the line to the nozzle goes uphill to bleed the air out at the nozzle. You don't want a big air bubble in the lines hitting the motor at a bad time. I use NOS 3an methanol tolerant braided line to the nozzle but I see everyone in the 21st century uses that pushlock nylon stuff. I aint there yet LOL
Old 07-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Kerrdogg
Pro

Even though we sell it I am not a fan of the nylon 1/4 hose, we stock the thick wall so it is heat tolerant but it is better used by installers of boost controlling devices. One of the worst calls I got was from a shop that buys from us, they had just twin turboed a new Ford GT-40 and used the nylon line for a meth shot, line hit the header and car caught on fire. Luckily it was on the dyno and easily contained, we started suggesting the premade Fragola SS teflon lines after that.

Raptor sell the switch only as well as the shift lights.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:16 PM
windwalker436
5th Gear

Thanks for that info Kerrdogg, I'll stick with the NOS teflon braided from the 20th century or better yet the line that you suggest if you can give me more info on it...what ends does it have? :-) Ryan from SCC pumps builds my pumps for me and before him his dad did a couple. He can get those Northern tool pumps and is looking for a pump for the Challenger similar to the northern with a Buna diaphram and 100 PSI output or close. They sell flo jet and sure-flow. I bought a 100PSI flo-jet for the Buick last week. 847 593 8495.
I called Raptor and they will have those switches in next week the guy said. Cool. I called another place NX NOS systems and will order the programmable tps switch as well so I can be at full throttle and x amount of rpm's before the methanol comes in.
I am not a big fan of those "up to 250 PSI" systems because all that pressure makes me nervous and I don't need a progressive controller for what I do. A simple on and off is fine out of the windshield washer jug.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:07 PM
marine&hisvette
Burning Brakes

soo buy jegs switch or no?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing like taking free advice (on the internet) from a guy who admits to blowing up several engines in the same thread.

Get notified of new replies

To El Cheapo Meth

Old 07-28-2012, 03:28 PM
marine&hisvette
Burning Brakes

As long as everything is installed properly it should be fine.... I'm curious if I could use my nitrous rpm switch to activate the meth?
Old 08-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

I have to comment, GREAT post. Stumbled across this looking for an area methanol dealer. I JUST replaced my alky control pump on my Trans Am this morning after paying $160 for a new one. The similarities are striking:

Old and New Alky Control Pumps:

Northern Tool Shurflo pump:

Close enough to make me say dang, and feel ripped out of a bill.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:09 PM
madmax4499
Burning Brakes

yes, they all sell the same pump, most use better seals, remove the over temp protection, ect. set the adjustable pressure where they want. It really is not rocket science, They just figure it out for you and sell it as a kit. Cooling mist is great as well for a low cost option.

Quick Reply: El Cheapo Meth