C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel not centered while driving straight? Here's how I centered mine (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 09:42 PM
JetBlue383stroker
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off center

Great thread. My 78 is off about 7 degrees. I just put it back together after speedo rebuild and fixing horn contacts. It's bothering me as I don't recall it being off center prior to dissasembly. I took it apart again and the marks are aligned on the hub but clearly off center. Is there any way I could have messed it up by dropping the colum (not removing)? My intuition tells me no however I just can't believe I have been driving it this way since my alignment last year and not noticed....maybe old and senile I guess!

Old 02-14-2015, 09:49 AM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mid-TN Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Everyone should really get alignment re-checked before doing what the OP suggests. remember, these cars have 4 corners that should be checked for alignment. Whose to say it's not something with the rear causing the issue. Anyway, just my .02.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:38 PM
EVRGRN
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 200 Posts

Found this and figured I'd give it a bump back to life.

My car came back from the alignment shop (Pfadt street specs) with the steering wheel slightly to the right. Will try this technique to get the wheel straight again.

Great thread and props to the OP (BEZ06).
Old 12-14-2015, 06:00 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRGRN
Found this and figured I'd give it a bump back to life.

My car came back from the alignment shop (Pfadt street specs) with the steering wheel slightly to the right. Will try this technique to get the wheel straight again.

Great thread and props to the OP (BEZ06).
Its been discussed before that this simple adjustment is NOT the way it should be done. Its OK in a pinch but should not be used since all suspension adjustments will adjust something else in addition...its just the way suspension works. Proper equipment should always be used when making suspension adjustments.

Since they clearly didn't do it right, I would take it back and make it them do it again. A straight steering wheel IS part of a proper suspension alignment, regardless of the bull they might try to feed you.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:34 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21
Its been discussed before that this simple adjustment is NOT the way it should be done. Its OK in a pinch but should not be used since all suspension adjustments will adjust something else in addition...its just the way suspension works. Proper equipment should always be used when making suspension adjustments.

Since they clearly didn't do it right, I would take it back and make it them do it again. A straight steering wheel IS part of a proper suspension alignment, regardless of the bull they might try to feed you.
How can moving the tie rods a very short, equal length on the same plane change anything else on the alignment?
Old 12-14-2015, 07:12 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Common sense prevails
Old 12-14-2015, 09:10 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Joe_G
How can moving the tie rods a very short, equal length on the same plane change anything else on the alignment?
It doesn't, and has been proven time and time again in my garage with DIY alignments and measurements to validate....

Nonetheless, if somebody paid for an alignment, I'd recommend taking it back if they had the time and patience. Most shops will give you the run around and waste your efforts.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:30 PM
blueshark123
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ummm, am I missing something? Why not remove steering wheel and mount it centered.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:17 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

The steering wheel position sensor will then be off in addition to lock-to-lock radius turns.

The other issue is the car is going down the road sideways while its going straight.

Last edited by mikeCsix; 12-19-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:08 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It only goes on in one position
Old 12-15-2015, 09:21 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
If this information isn't accurate, i'm sorry. However, don't kill the messenger. I'm only repeating what has been told to me on here, as well as by 2 reputable shops. I've always been told that affecting toe, camber or caster will inevitably affect one of the other. I was told that it's what makes doing a perfect alignment so time consuming. Whether or not its attempting to drum up business for them, I don't know. It's just what i'd been told.

Most of what i'm saying appeared in a previous thread I dealt with years ago here. Furthermore, the issues on the other thread that I was more concerned about was how it might affect systems such as the steering wheel position sensor which may or may not affect when the nannies kick in.

If you read into the other thread I started, you'll see that I also manually adjusted mine in attempts to fix a ****-eyed steering wheel as well. However, all of my concern I previously had overwhelmed me, and I had it done properly only to discover that many aspect of my alignment were indeed off that weren't before. When I adjusted the tie rods, I followed the instructions to a T, but it still wasn't correct. This is where much of my concern came from.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:41 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21
If this information isn't accurate, i'm sorry. However, don't kill the messenger. I'm only repeating what has been told to me on here, as well as by 2 reputable shops. I've always been told that affecting toe, camber or caster will inevitably affect one of the other. I was told that it's what makes doing a perfect alignment so time consuming. Whether or not its attempting to drum up business for them, I don't know. It's just what i'd been told.

Most of what i'm saying appeared in a previous thread I dealt with years ago here. Furthermore, the issues on the other thread that I was more concerned about was how it might affect systems such as the steering wheel position sensor which may or may not affect when the nannies kick in.

If you read into the other thread I started, you'll see that I also manually adjusted mine in attempts to fix a ****-eyed steering wheel as well. However, all of my concern I previously had overwhelmed me, and I had it done properly only to discover that many aspect of my alignment were indeed off that weren't before. When I adjusted the tie rods, I followed the instructions to a T, but it still wasn't correct. This is where much of my concern came from.
What you were told was correct, caster and camber can affect toe and vice versa, and you're sure right that it's important to get everything adjusted to spec.

However, what happens is the car doesn't lock the wheel dead ahead and a sloppy tech will not pay attention to correcting the steering wheel when making adjustments called for by the rack. I insist upon it when I get an alignment and I've had good luck.

But what Bez06 is doing, not affecting the toe but rather just moving the rack slightly between the tie rod ends won't affect toe or anything else if it's carefully done.

You indeed raise a valid concern, if for whatever reason one doesn't get the adjustment proposed by Bez06 correct, then you could indeed mess up the toe of the alignment. So this technique isn't without that risk. But the way Bez06 is proposing is indeed how a good tech will correct the wheel when they are done with an alignment. They do have the ability to double check the alignment when done, which of course we can't do as accurately.

But Taken19 has come up with a pretty darn good home brew method to do just that.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:55 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Gee I must be stupid, I would have had the dealer make it right when they screwed it up in the first place
Old 12-19-2015, 12:18 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel not centered while driving straight? Here's how I centered mine (pics)