C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Problems When Hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 12:03 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Thanks for the update; many people don't ever get back to the Forum with the resolution.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Clyde D
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Burdie
I have the same issue on my 2008, don't have to tell you how annoying it is. I appreciate the posts and plan to start cleaning connectors in the morning.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Clyde D
4th Gear

Default You Rock burdie

Originally Posted by burdie5533
I hate to keep updating this old post but I finally fixed the problem and thought others would like to know. I took the car back to the dealership and they wanted to start replacing modules on the comms buss starting with the ECM. I didn't want to loose my programming or start to pay for many modules (the BCM didnt fix the problem). I started keeping religious documentation of all the codes when the problem occured (generally 6-10 with several repeats). They always had communication errors and an antilock brake error. This weekend, I removed the Alternator to get access, removed the connector, cleaned and re-seated and walah!!! Drove 160 miles in stop and go traffic in the 90's and no issues.

I had the same issue, it started very intermittently, months between episodes, then gradually became more frequent and severe. It got to the point that it affected everything in the car, speedo, tac, windows, gauges, DIC, lights, radio, AC, exhaust, and the list goes on. Always ran perfect in the morning when it was cool and on the way home from work it would turn into something out of a Steven King novel. Because it was heat related I bought freezer packs and placed them in different areas around the electrical system to try to isolate the area. No luck. After your post I cleaned the connector on the alternator, which looked clean, with some electrical cleaner and then blew it off with air. As you said "walah!!!" I got my car back.

Thanks burdie

Last edited by Clyde D; 07-08-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:37 PM
burdie5533
Cruising

Originally Posted by Clyde D
I had the same issue, it started very intermittently, months between episodes, then gradually became more frequent and severe. It got to the point that it affected everything in the car, speedo, tac, windows, gauges, DIC, lights, radio, AC, exhaust, and the list goes on. Always ran perfect in the morning when it was cool and on the way home from work it would turn into something out of a Steven King novel. Because it was heat related I bought freezer packs and placed them in different areas around the electrical system to try to isolate the area. No luck. After your post I cleaned the connector on the alternator, which looked clean, with some electrical cleaner and then blew it off with air. As you said "walah!!!" I got my car back.

Thanks burdie
Mine was't the connector on the alternator but the anti-lock brakes. After cleaning with radio shack contact cleaner, 18 months with no issues, even on 100F days.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:19 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The forum is a great place.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Clyde D
4th Gear

Originally Posted by burdie5533
Mine was't the connector on the alternator but the anti-lock brakes. After cleaning with radio shack contact cleaner, 18 months with no issues, even on 100F days.
Thanks Burdie I will see if I can locate it and check it out.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:15 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the TCS/ABS light come on near the end of a 2500 mile drive

Turn off the motor and restart and the lights go away for the day. Then the lights come on again the next day. Stop-start and it's gone.

Now each time I start the car it comes on almost immediately.

I'll try cleaning the batter posts, Starter connections and the alternator connections.

Thanks for posting back the results and what appears to be your solution. Others have stated the same thing with going to the battery and starter first.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:32 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

At lunch today I decided to take a look at by battery and the connections. The battery itself looked clean, the battery posts were also clean. I decided to see if the positive and negative terminals were secured properly and as I twisted on the positive cable it turned and came right off without much effort. The ground lead was tight.

So I twisted and pressed it back on as securely as I could without getting out the toolbox.

My TCS/ABS light still came on so that loose cable was not the culprit, not that I really tightened it well enough. I'll clean up the posts and re-secure them later.

Later: I did clean up the battery connections and re-secured them. No help there. This weekend I'll see if I can get it up on a friends lift and check the starter and other connections.

I did pull up the passenger foot well and their was one box out of place. I haven't looked it up, but it's the larger black box on the very bottom that was not clipped in place. Pressed on the two blue connectors and joggled some wires just to see. Again, it made no difference.

Something I've noticed when the lights for TCS and ABS have come on. A couple times now I've lightly touched the brake pedal and the ABS engaged. I've only hit the brakes hard enough to feel the ABS when I did it on purpose shortly after my test drive. So for the ABS to activate with a lightly pressed brake pedal when the ABS light is on doesn't make any sense.

Good thing it's so much fun to drive

Last edited by SmileyOr; 09-04-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:43 PM
Clyde D
4th Gear

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
At lunch today I decided to take a look at by battery and the connections. The battery itself looked clean, the battery posts were also clean. I decided to see if the positive and negative terminals were secured properly and as I twisted on the positive cable it turned and came right off without much effort. The ground lead was tight.

So I twisted and pressed it back on as securely as I could without getting out the toolbox.

My TCS/ABS light still came on so that loose cable was not the culprit, not that I really tightened it well enough. I'll clean up the posts and re-secure them later.

Later: I did clean up the battery connections and re-secured them. No help there. This weekend I'll see if I can get it up on a friends lift and check the starter and other connections.

I did pull up the passenger foot well and their was one box out of place. I haven't looked it up, but it's the larger black box on the very bottom that was not clipped in place. Pressed on the two blue connectors and joggled some wires just to see. Again, it made no difference.

Something I've noticed when the lights for TCS and ABS have come on. A couple times now I've lightly touched the brake pedal and the ABS engaged. I've only hit the brakes hard enough to feel the ABS when I did it on purpose shortly after my test drive. So for the ABS to activate with a lightly pressed brake pedal when the ABS light is on doesn't make any sense.

Good thing it's so much fun to drive

SmileyOr
It is a major pain but pull the connector on the ABS module and clean it up, it has worked for me so far. The problem is, it is so intermittent my confidence level is still pretty low. Time will tell.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:53 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

So I was out for a spirited drive and all was well until I approached a hard left hander. I applied brakes and the TCS, ABS lights came on. I went offroading into some large rocks that damaged my skid bars/radiator lower mount and a few other items.

The car is now up on a rack waiting for the new skid plate. I'll have it installed with the help of a friend this weekend.

Quick Reply: Electrical Problems When Hot