C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New battery: OEM or Duralast Gold? OEM is cheaper

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Default New battery: OEM or Duralast Gold? OEM is cheaper

Hey gang, want to replace the battery on the '12 GS; just don't trust it. Dealer wants me to leave car for a day or two to test it, but rather pay for a new battery myself than doing that. Besides, I'm almost sure they'd say it's fine (has happened before).

Anyway, Duralast costs $124 and only has 600 CCA. Dealer wants $113 for a stocker (which is the same battery as the Malibu 4 cyl, go figure), which has 575 CCA, I believe. Which one would you buy? And if I have Autozone test it and it tests fine, is it a test we can fully trust? Thanks gang.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:07 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Hey gang, want to replace the battery on the '12 GS; just don't trust it. Dealer wants me to leave car for a day or two to test it, but rather pay for a new battery myself than doing that. Besides, I'm almost sure they'd say it's fine (has happened before).

Anyway, Duralast costs $124 and only has 600 CCA. Dealer wants $113 for a stocker (which is the same battery as the Malibu 4 cyl, go figure), which has 575 CCA, I believe. Which one would you buy? And if I have Autozone test it and it tests fine, is it a test we can fully trust? Thanks gang.
I'm on my second Delco battery. The original one never died, but after about 4 years the car didn't fire up with quite the same ferocity so I hooked up a 'scope and observed excessive voltage drop while cranking. The new one has been in there about 3 years without incident.

Batteries seem to be manufactured under contract by shadowy OEMs so nobody can really vouch for them anyway. My personal experience with the Delcos has been fine, so I'd probably get that.

Why don't you trust the battery on your new car?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:31 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by torquetube
Why don't you trust the battery on your new car?
Thank you for your comments. Well, car sat for over 5 months in a dealer's warehouse, and barely started when it was tested (another car just like it was completely dead). I know the battery is not 100% after all that time sitting discharging itself. And I don't know how many times it died before. But the main reason I don't trust it is car failed to start twice already. Car started at the next attempt both times, but you usually start seeing those weird electrical glitches when it starts to go. Tried a dealer once and said it was perfect, only to get stranded in the middle of a trip weeks later (and yes, I charge my batteries weekly in all my vehicles). That's why man.

Now, I don't like to waste my money, but is there a test that's truly accurate? I'm going to change that battery sooner rather than later, so my reasoning is might as well do it before something happens, but I'm open to all comments. I just don't quite understand how a battery can check perfect by a battery charger and a tester, and drop a cell soon thereafter. Maybe those electronic gremlins are signs one cell is about to drop. Finally, another battery that dropped a cell still cranked the engine fine, but every time I started the car the gauges cycled and the clock and other memory functions reset themselves. After changing the battery, everything went back to normal. However, I really doubt the same battery that you find on a 4-cyl Malibu would start a large V8 with the battery in the trunk with a bad cell, but maybe I'm wrong. Comments welcome.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:51 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

how do you charge your vehicles weekly? what do you use?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:39 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

I went with an Optima Yellow top to replace my C6 battery after 4 years of use on the OEM battery...during those 4 years btw, never had any issues in winter when the car would sit for weeks without starting.....I have never had to use a trickle charger either on my old C5 or my current C6...

Old 08-16-2012, 03:27 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AORoads
how do you charge your vehicles weekly? what do you use?
I use a Battery Tender Plus most of the times. All my vehicles have a pigtail (including the Vette), so it takes seconds to hook them up. Also have the CTEK that came with the car, but it's more inconvenient to use, since I don't like closing the door over the cable. Or leaving the window open. But I always disconnect the trickle charger when the light turns green.

On the battery issue, I want an OEM-sized one so it fits and looks factory. Therefore, Optima is out, since they don't offer a drop-in replacement. Plus don't want to add any more weight. The stocker is fine, but want a new one (fully charged before using it) so I can trust it for many years.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:24 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

You're worried about $11 on your $60-70k Corvette???

If you really don't trust the battery as stated in the original post, why not buy the better battery? If it were me, I would research and buy the best one I thought I needed. In most cases, there is usually a superior "aftermarket" replacement part that will outperform the stock one.

My $0.02

Last edited by taken19; 08-16-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:22 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Went with a new Delco after getting 5 yrs. out of the OE Delco/
Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 AM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My 06 Vette is e/w the original ACdelco Battery. I store the Vette in winter, usually from November through April, because of bad weather and roads. While in storage, the battery is connected to a $19.00 Battery Tender. I routinely test my battery using a Cen-Tech Digital Automotive Battery Analyzer purchased from Harbor Freight. I have a manual fan control which I use at the track between 1/4 mile passes. I have drained the battery, running my fan to the point where I had to jump the battery to get the car started. Even with this abuse, the battery still tests good and performs as new with no noticeable degradation. I have used my battery analyzer on other batteries that test less than 100%and were in fact bad and less than two years old. I have had batteries last less than 2 years and batteries that have lasted more than 7 years. However, once a battery begins to show signs weakness, they are not long for this world.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

What is the warranty on the ACDelco OEM battery? On my Duralast 90DLG is is 3 years free and then another 5 years prorated(total of 8 years).

If you need a warranty replacement, is your battery dealer(car dealer or auto parts store) open on Sundays and spread all over the country? AutoZone stores are all over and open on Sundays.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:27 AM
dun4791
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a Battery Tender Plus most of the times. All my vehicles have a pigtail (including the Vette), so it takes seconds to hook them up. Also have the CTEK that came with the car, but it's more inconvenient to use, since I don't like closing the door over the cable. Or leaving the window open. But I always disconnect the trickle charger when the light turns green.

On the battery issue, I want an OEM-sized one so it fits and looks factory. Therefore, Optima is out, since they don't offer a drop-in replacement. Plus don't want to add any more weight. The stocker is fine, but want a new one (fully charged before using it) so I can trust it for many years.

don't disconnect the tender after light turns green, it needs to stay connected and plugged in all the time
Old 08-16-2012, 11:05 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts

I went to Optima Red top after seeing all the Acid that ran down on top of my computer from the stock battery. It took me quite awhile to clean it all off.

This is only my second battery since new, 2003. Red top going fine on year 4.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:36 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dun4791
don't disconnect the tender after light turns green, it needs to stay connected and plugged in all the time
Old 08-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

ElpJC, Even though it tests fine, if it failed during that 2 week trip & I'd think the dealer would replace it under warranty? If they're unwilling to, then a new replacement is inexpensive peace of mind.

I also think you should leave it connected to the Battery Tender continuoulsy. I've been been disconnecting my BT jr. after it's green (I drive it on weekends), as it kinda felt like overkill, but I now tend to agree w/ Carpedm & Dun4927 that it's best to leave it charging.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:25 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
What is the warranty on the ACDelco OEM battery? On my Duralast 90DLG is is 3 years free and then another 5 years prorated(total of 8 years).

If you need a warranty replacement, is your battery dealer(car dealer or auto parts store) open on Sundays and spread all over the country? AutoZone stores are all over and open on Sundays.
I bought the Duralast!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:13 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by taken19
You're worried about $11 on your $60-70k Corvette???
What the heck are you talking about? I'm going to pay out of pocket for a new battery because I don't want to leave my car sitting at a dealer to attempt getting it covered under warranty, and am I worried about $11? Geez, talk about putting words in my mouth. By the way, I don't trust the battery that's IN MY CAR right now because it was discharged for months. I never said anything about not trusting a Delco.

Originally Posted by dun4791
That's not true. If I was going to be away for a month or two, yeah, I'd leave it connected since it's better than not charging the battery. But many argue it's not good to have the battery charged to such high voltages (14.3 I think) all the time, which can fry them too due to outgassing that can't be replenished (sealed). Since I'm around, I don't leave them connected, but to each his own. But I always fully charge the batteries on vehicles I don't use often before use (easier on the alternator too ).

Will probably go for the Delco, due to good reviews, cheaper, and for a factory look. Thank you folks.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-16-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

I got 6 years from the original Delco in my '05, but went to an Optima Red Top as a replacement.....got a special price thru a distributor that I couldn't pass up! No regrets on the Red Top.

Get notified of new replies

To New battery: OEM or Duralast Gold? OEM is cheaper

Old 08-16-2012, 06:06 PM
dun4791
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What the heck are you talking about? I'm going to pay out of pocket for a new battery because I don't want to leave my car sitting at a dealer to attempt getting it covered uTYnder warranty, and am I worried about $11? Geez, talk about putting words in my mouth. By the way, I don't trust the battery that's IN MY CAR right now because it was discharged for months. I never said anything about not trusting a Delco.

That's not true. If I was going to be away for a month or two, yeah, I'd leave it connected since it's better than not charging the battery. But many argue it's not good to have the battery charged to such high voltages (14.3 I think) all the time, which can fry them too due to outgassing that can't be replenished (sealed). Since I'm around, I don't leave them connected, but to each his own. But I always fully charge the batteries on vehicles I don't use often before use (easier on the alternator too ).

Will probably go for the Delco, due to good reviews, cheaper, and for a factory look. Thank you folks.
the battery tender maintains the battery as well as charges.....I don't remember ask the stages in the circuitry....but like you say, to each his own..good luck with the new battery.

fyi.....I still have the original battery out of my 06z purchased 1/05. it now resides in my 2000 sable. first six years of its life it was on a tender when it want being used. good luck with the new battery
Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

I bought the one that had the longest free replacement policy
Old 08-16-2012, 07:55 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by glenB
I bought the one that had the longest free replacement policy
Warranty is a function of marketing, not product quality or performance.

Quick Reply: New battery: OEM or Duralast Gold? OEM is cheaper