C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using Ford Solenoid to bypass starter solenoid

Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 AM
blackbird345
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Using Ford Solenoid to bypass starter solenoid

Can anyone tell me which wires go where? I have main battery to Ford solenoid (say left side) along with alternator wire, then right side of Ford solenoid goes direct to starter side of GM solenoid. I ran a 10 guage wire to the small terminal on the GM solenoid and ran than back to one of the small posts on the Ford solenoid. When press the start button the starter spins but won't stop spinning even when I push bottom of start button (which normally turns engine off). What did I do wrong...am I missing a wire?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I've never done this on a Vette but did it on my Cutlasses. It helped for a while but was not a long term fix. Ultimately the fix was a summit mini gear drive starter.

What problem are you trying to fix? Perhaps we can help you better with a little more info. I've not seen many problems with the GM solenoids anymore with the high torque starters the cars come with. If you're having trouble with the solenoid it could cause this lack of disengagement irrespective of the wiring...or perhaps you have it wired wrong.

I know my car will crank until it starts from a push of the button, but it will stop cranking if I push the bottom of the button.

Anyway, I found a diagram for you on how to wire in the Ford solenoid. Summit sells a kit including the bridge from the S terminal to the main terminal if you don't want to make a jumper wire yourself but I don't think the bridge will work with a Vette.

http://www.chevellestuff.net/tech/ford_solenoid.htm

Standard GM wiring

Wiring with a Ford Solenoid
Old 08-27-2012, 04:16 PM
blackbird345
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Weird I didn't see the "R" wire which goes to coil on my GM solenoid. I'll have to look again tonight. Thanks so much!
The following users liked this post:
ErnieN85 (04-19-2016)
Old 08-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by blackbird345
Weird I didn't see the "R" wire which goes to coil on my GM solenoid. I'll have to look again tonight. Thanks so much!
The "R" was for a resistor wire that ran to the ignition points - it was a resistor wire to keep the points from burning out, they didn't like 12 volts so it stepped it down to 8 volts or so if I recall correctly.

We sure don't need that anymore!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Redrocket1045
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbird345
Can anyone tell me which wires go where? I have main battery to Ford solenoid (say left side) along with alternator wire, then right side of Ford solenoid goes direct to starter side of GM solenoid. I ran a 10 guage wire to the small terminal on the GM solenoid and ran than back to one of the small posts on the Ford solenoid. When press the start button the starter spins but won't stop spinning even when I push bottom of start button (which normally turns engine off). What did I do wrong...am I missing a wire?
Keep in mind that on these cars - you must depress the brake pedal to start the car. This must also be bypassed.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:25 PM
C 5
No Time!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for the bump, Did you ever the problem? if So, what was the issue?

Get notified of new replies

To Using Ford Solenoid to bypass starter solenoid

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Using Ford Solenoid to bypass starter solenoid