C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 03:11 PM
gaphono
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Creaking Calipers

2007 Base Coupe

local shop recently Installed Hawk Ceramic Pads, TPS Slotted\Dimpled Rotors and Russel Stainless Brake hoses. I have Powder Coated Calipers that have been on the car for about two years with no previous noise.

Brakes perform well no squeaks, but I am now having a creaking noise in the rear calipers when applying the brake pedal. This creaking noise occurs when the car is not moving and also in motion. Shop has lubed the caliper pins and are at a loss as to why this is happening. They mentioned that it may be additional line pressure from the stainless hoses causing the noise in the caliper. They swapped one of the original rotors back on a hub and the creaking continues, so it is not anything with the rotors.

Please help me diagnose what is happening... I am almost to the point of having all of the stock components reinstalled.

UPDATE - PROBLEM RESOLUTION- After many weeks of research, I located a GM lubricant that was originally utlized on a TSB for other GM cars. This product is applied around the boot of the caliper piston. This has totally resolved all of the noise from my calipers. Part Number for the lubricant is 89022161. Contact me for a copy of the ALLDATA pdf is you ever need to resolve your creaking.

Last edited by gaphono; 10-27-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: more info
The following users liked this post:
TastyBacon (09-04-2018)
Old 09-08-2012, 06:37 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Sounds like the rotors are glazed.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:59 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

It sounds like the pads are moving slightly in the caliper anchor, that's the part that the caliper bolts to. One fix, if there is indeed some play, is to sit back and enjoy a beer. When the beer is finished, cut the can into strips and place them into the channel that guide the pads. This will eliminate any movement. Do it for all four corners if possible, or whatever fits.

Old Sckool rocks !!

You also want to check and make sure the parking brake isn't dragging
Old 09-09-2012, 09:11 AM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or also you could try greasing the pad anchor points. other than that, I can't think of anything.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:00 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by corvette pilot
or also you could try greasing the pad anchor points. other than that, I can't think of anything.
I used to use a synthetic brake grease but found it holds dirt. I've found it's best to clean the anchors with a metal brush, apply a thin film and them wipe off all excess leaving just enough on the surface to prevent rust. A nickle based anti-seize also works.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:13 PM
gaphono
Racer

Default GM dealer Update

I took my car to a well respected Corvette dealer service department and they removed the calipers in the rear cleaned and removed the powder coated surface in the pad anchor area and made certain there was no binding from the powder coated surfaces. All areas were properly lubricated. Unfortunately, this did not resolve my creaking issue.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:35 PM
gaphono
Racer

updated in original post
Old 10-27-2012, 04:48 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by glenB
One fix, if there is indeed some play, is to sit back and enjoy a beer. When the beer is finished, cut the can into strips and place them into the channel that guide the pads.
In my experience the first half of this trick helps with most any mechanical problem, although usually you have to repeat it a half dozen times.

Get notified of new replies

To Creaking Calipers

Quick Reply: Creaking Calipers