C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper way to lower a c6 ls3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 05:18 PM
SlayerRipKdc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper way to lower a c6 ls3?

I am thinking about purchasing a C6 and would like to know the best way to lower the car? Can you do this on the stock bolts?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:22 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Yes, but depends on how low you want to go.

I could not get it low enough so I bought lowering bolts and they were nothing but trouble. finally went to coilovers.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:55 PM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

I dropped mine on the stock bolts and the Vette runs great.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:15 PM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you decide to use lowering bolts the only ones I'd recommend are the ones from Hardbar.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:59 PM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

As has been said, depends on how much of a drop you want. If you're good with less than an inch, bolts. If you're trying to slam it down, coil-overs.

Just remember, the nose of these cars are already low. An inch can make all the difference in the world between having to replace radiator supports once a season or not.
I had to lower the nose of mine an inch to fit the intercooler. The single biggest issue Ive had with it is occasionally bumping the rad support. (Mine is also a DD)

While I've corner balanced mine, it has not been LOWERED....and I'll be swapping another rad support this winter when I finally re-engineer this blower setup to get my inch of ground clearance back. LOL!
Old 09-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SlayerRipKdc
I am thinking about purchasing a C6 and would like to know the best way to lower the car? Can you do this on the stock bolts?
You can definitely lower the car on the factory bolts, but just keep in mind that their actual intended use was for corner balancing not large changes in ride height. The lower you adjust your car on the factory leafs the more suspension travel you're dialing out, and the more likely you are to run off the shocks bump stops. By repeatedly running off the bump stops you will notice a decrease in ride quality, and potentially unpredictable handling.

With a coilover package we can build in more than enough suspension travel into the shocks to maintain adequate suspension travel. This means you can lower the vehicle aggressively without the adverse effects to ride quality and handling that you would normally see with a leaf spring equipped car at the same ride height.

Aside from adjustable ride heights you will also enjoy the other benefits of coilovers such as adjustable dampers to adjust the ride quality or performance of the car, increased spring rates for improved track performance without impacts to ride quality on the street, as well as removing weight from the car.

If you're looking at coilovers for your future Corvette you should definitely give our FeatherLight Singles a hard look also. These are simply the best coilovers we've ever manufactured! You can find more information on them at the link below:

Pfadt Race Engineering FeatherLight Single Adjustable Coilovers

Old 09-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Lowering on stock bolts is very simple & takes @ an hour max. You don't have to jack up the car either. You can use a bottle jack to raise the leaf spring/busings off the lower control arms & turn out the front wheels to access them there, & crawl behind the rear tires to access those as well. very easy & I recommend keeping the stock ride bolts/bushings & you shouldn't have any suspension bottoming or bump-stop issues either.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

After lowering, drive it a couple of hundred miles and then check if it's still where you want. Then get analignment.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 PM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

FYI - per LG Motorsports (Anthony I believe) - posted here somewhere in Tech on another thread that if you lower the C6 more than 20mm (~3/4"), it's counter-productive to handling as it throws off the stock suspension geometry. Going lower is for appearance only.

LG or Pfadt - feel free to chime in
Old 09-25-2012, 10:27 PM
mattdracing
Racer

i lowered my grand sport on stock bolts. just jack it up, put on jackstands, and once thats done just use a 10mm wrench to screw it counter clockwise i believe until it cant go any farther because it will be limited by the rubber bushings. i also had to put the jack under the car and jack up just a tiny bit on the arm right under the spring to take a lil pressure off so the bolts would turn with ease. DO NOT FORCE THEM TO TURN OR THEY WILL STRIP. theres a video on the forums somewhere that explains it perfectly
Old 09-25-2012, 10:37 PM
msd127
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVBedouin
Lowering on stock bolts is very simple & takes @ an hour max. You don't have to jack up the car either. You can use a bottle jack to raise the leaf spring/busings off the lower control arms & turn out the front wheels to access them there, & crawl behind the rear tires to access those as well. very easy & I recommend keeping the stock ride bolts/bushings & you shouldn't have any suspension bottoming or bump-stop issues either.

and slick to boot
Old 09-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

OP, your alignment may not need any adjusting. I had my alignment checked & it was in factory spec, then I lowered my '12 GS 1LT (non-F55) 2 turns in the rear (they were max'd), & 2 turns in front, & then had the alignment checked again: The caster didn't change, toe was 0*, & camber was -.8 -.9* rear, -1 -1.1* front.

I wanted it lower so I turned the fronts 2 more turns (max'd out, 4 turns total) & cut the lower most 1/8" rib off the bottom of the rear bushings, checked alignment after 200+ miles. Caster was virtually the same, toe was still 0*, & camber increased to -.1* rear, -1.2* front. Perfect for my needs.

The car now sits w/ 1.5" between fenders & all 4 tires & looks like it should have from the factory. The handling was markedly improved as well.

Last edited by Bedouin; 09-26-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:06 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVBedouin
The car now sits w/ 1.5" between fenders & all 4 tires & looks like it should have from the factory.
A related question to you or whoever can answer it. My '12 GS CE (with F55) sits just like yours from the factory (1.5"), and am perfectly happy with it (any lower and it'd hit everywhere). But was just curious if they're bottomed out on the stock bolts. Everything should be identical in our cars except the shocks, no? Thx.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:17 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by ///DarkSide\\\
FYI - per LG Motorsports (Anthony I believe) - posted here somewhere in Tech on another thread that if you lower the C6 more than 20mm (~3/4"), it's counter-productive to handling as it throws off the stock suspension geometry. Going lower is for appearance only.

LG or Pfadt - feel free to chime in

You can adjust the factory bolts but you get very close to the bump stops on the factory shocks. Some of the aftermarket units like Bilstein have a slightly different body design which will allow more drop on the car.

If we are talking about all out performance, if you want to go lower than 1" you need to do the drop spindles. Not only does it correct the suspension, and gives you full shock range while dropping the car 1" at the bearing.

Last edited by Anthony @ LGMotorsports; 09-26-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

I've noticed that every F55 vette I've seen sits just like yours ElpJC, perfect from the factory, at about 1.5" off the tires. I'd love to know if they're max'd out to lowest on the ride-height bolts from Bowling Green.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 AM
QwikC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Can certainly be lowered on stock bolts -- though shock (suspension) effectiveness becomes limited as remarked; ref. posts 6 and 9, but the "best way" is with coilovers. Post 14 also makes valid point(s), especially pertaining to drop spindles.

Last edited by QwikC; 09-27-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: addended remark re: Post 14.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:35 AM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports

If we are talking about all out performance, if you want to go lower than 1" you need to do the drop spindles. Not only does it correct the suspension, and gives you full shock range while dropping the car 1" at the bearing.

Get notified of new replies

To Proper way to lower a c6 ls3?

Quick Reply: Proper way to lower a c6 ls3?