C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New shifter in my future,RSD or MGW

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:18 PM
SUNNYD 95
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New shifter in my future,RSD or MGW

I have a problem shifting into first at a stop and also into reverse, I changed the trans fluid(replaced with royal purple) and aligned the shifter, at this point it feels a bit different but cant say yea, its way better, because its not that much better.
So I'm thinking of getting a new shifter. I researched the MGW and the RSD snap shifter, this RSD comes with a new shifter box (which I think is the problem) where the MGW is just the shifter.
Has anyone purchased the RSD shifter and how does it compare to the stock shifter? And also the MGW what are your thoughts on it.
My car is an 05 with 35k and NOT hard driven.
Thanks for your time and help.

Last edited by SUNNYD 95; 10-04-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:42 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

MGW shifters have a precise short throw and I recommend one for that reason, but they involve slightly higher effort to shift, no big deal but it means it's likely not going to solve your problem. I doubt there is anything wrong with your trans or shift box. If you haven't been changing your clutch fluid regularly, I would give that a try, using the "ranger method", that might solve the problem. Good luck
Old 10-04-2012, 06:46 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Love my MGW. I put in a new shifter box at the same time I installed the MGW because I found torn bushings where the shift rod slides back and forth in the box, plus the mount bushings where the box mounts to the torque tube were cracking. MGW recommends replacing the box if the car is more than about three years old or has more than 25K or 30K miles on it. The bushings deteriorate and tear/crack with age and heat.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 PM
loudvolvo
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just installed a MTI racing short shifter and love it. i've heard the MGW is great but requires alot more effort to shift. never had any other shifter than my stock one and this MTI one so i couldn't compare it to any other aftermarket ones. Its awesome though...!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

MGW! LOVE IT....very precise feel
Old 10-05-2012, 10:19 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
MGW! LOVE IT....very precise feel
Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 AM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Mgw....

Last edited by LJD51; 10-05-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Fat fingers....
Old 10-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by loudvolvo
i've heard the MGW is great but requires alot more effort to shift.
ALL short shifters require more effort to shift than the stock shifter. That's a consequence of basic physics and geometry. If anyone tells you that they know of a shifter with a shorter throw than stock that doesn't increase the effort required then they are feeding you a line. The MGW is no harder to shift than any other unit. It's ultimately just a shorter stick (albeit a really well manufactured one.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever

The question is whether the trade-off is worth it to you.

Quite a lot of folks seem to enjoy suffering the "lot of effort" with their MGW units.

Z//

Get notified of new replies

To New shifter in my future,RSD or MGW

Quick Reply: New shifter in my future,RSD or MGW