C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 wont start, key fob???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Camaro24
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 wont start, key fob???

I've got an 05 that just will not start. Just the other day I could lock and unlock the doors just fine. I go to start the car and the dash goes dark. I assume its a dead battery, so I replace the battery, same thing. Tried the fob in the glove box slot, same thing. Now I checked every fuse/relay on the car, same thing. Pulled the starter off and had it tested, same thing. I heard somewhere that if the key fob battery is weak it won't start the car, so I replace it. Now it acts like the car has forgotten the key fob completely. Key fob will no longer lock/unlock, and I get the NO FOB DETECTED message. Also I only have 1 key fob because the car was purchased used.

Now I run through the key fob reprogram procedure followed to the "T", The long way that takes 30 minutes. I do all the steps and get the INSERT FOB 1 message, so I put it in the glove box slot and it beeps and says INSERT FOB 2. I assume that means fob 1 was programmed successfully. As you may guess the car is still completely unresponsive to the fob.

Is it safe to assume that my key fob has taken a dump and I should buy a new one. Or does anyone else have any ideas as why the car won't start. Myself and my car thank you in advance
Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you try disconnecting the negative battery cable for about 1 minute then reconnect the cable and try again?

It could be the fob or it could be the RCDLRM Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Module. I have a fob tester. Dealers also have a fob tester. Take the fob and have it tested. Then you will know if the problem is the fob. Most owners have 2 fobs so if one does not work they can try the other fob.

Also, are you confident the fob is properly matched to the vehicle?

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Camaro24
Racer

yes i have tried the battery cable thing. i will contact the dealership this morning about getting the fob tested.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:42 AM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

My guess is a dead fob. I have a 2005 as well, and I have had to replace a dead fob................as well as the receiver.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Camaro24,

I'm sorry you are having a key fob issue. Have you heard back from your dealership yet?

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Your cell phone may be interfering with the fob if they are too close together.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Camaro24
Racer

yes, i did replace the fob and with a quick jumpstart from my truck it fired right up... since I was having to jump start it I figured I would replace the battery now that its running good and everything...

Put a new battery on it and now im back to square one. Exact same problem as before. Tried the old battery again and it still won't start. Guess I'll relearn the key fobs again and keep my fingers crossed
Old 10-18-2012, 09:53 AM
CWHPARTS
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

this just happened to mine, the receiver module for the fobs died. its above the a/c vents in the center console.

gm stopped making them for awhile, i had to put my fob in the glovebox for 2months while i waited to get a new one.

YOUR CORVETTE SUPERSTORE SINCE 1988

CORVETTE WORLD HOUSTON

281-821-1222

http://corvetteworldhouston.com/
Old 10-18-2012, 01:44 PM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good grief.. are these things prone to die? I've got an '06 with both fobs and have only had to change the battery in the fob and had no issues at all. Am I looking at same when mine gets another year on it?
Old 10-18-2012, 04:30 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by jss06c6
good grief.. Are these things prone to die? I've got an '06 with both fobs and have only had to change the battery in the fob and had no issues at all. Am i looking at same when mine gets another year on it?
no?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 PM
CWHPARTS
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

good grief.. Are these things prone to die? I've got an '06 with both fobs and have only had to change the battery in the fob and had no issues at all. Am i looking at same when mine gets another year on it?
Originally Posted by saplumr
no?
no, they arent common to fail 2005 manual trans column lock probs yes. Fob receiver not so much
Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Good grief.. are these things prone to die? I've got an '06 with both fobs and have only had to change the battery in the fob and had no issues at all. Am I looking at same when mine gets another year on it?
Doubt it. My 06 also is fine after 6.5 years of use and one change of fob batteries a couple of years ago.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Camaro24
Racer

got it running again. pulled the inner fender and found a weak connection to the computer. no idea how it got that way just glad it runs again.

Get notified of new replies

To 05 wont start, key fob???

Quick Reply: 05 wont start, key fob???