C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Front Brake Duct Install on Base C6

Old 10-14-2012, 12:28 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 Front Brake Duct Install on Base C6

Hi guys, I have a 2007 base C6 (Z51-optioned FWIW) and purchase Z06 front plastic brake cooling ducts just as quite a few on this forum have. After lining up the tube on one side, it doesn't appear that this mod is going to do anything to help cooling -- just common sense as the duct opening is a foot away and above the center of the rotors when bolted to the frame.

I searched Z06 front brake duct images and saw that the Z06 has a flex hose that connects from the end of the ducts to the center of the rotor.

Is that something I can do?
Has anyone else done this?
Am I wrong in thinking this mod won't help w/o the flex hose?

It is a cheap mod but I feel like it is a waste of time at this point.

All input appreciated! Thanks!
Dan
Old 10-14-2012, 12:43 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

I used some vacuum tubing laying around to help direct flow. I was going to make a bracket to hold the tube right to the rotor but got lazy

Old 10-14-2012, 03:12 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Sinister, thanks much for the pic -- that helps.

I could get a couple of metal "L" or "Z" brackets and better place the duct near the rotor center. I may play a little while the wheels are off.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:25 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyBoyC6
Sinister, thanks much for the pic -- that helps.

I could get a couple of metal "L" or "Z" brackets and better place the duct near the rotor center. I may play a little while the wheels are off.
np, next time I have the rotors off ill drill ill drill the hub and mount a piece of steel to which I can attach the tubing

This is what quantum makes:

The tubing is aircraft silicon which im sure is expensive but not the $200+ companies charge for one of these kits.

I tried a leaf blower to the inlet in the bumper and surprisingly a lot of air gets to the rotors
Old 10-14-2012, 08:30 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
np, next time I have the rotors off ill drill ill drill the hub and mount a piece of steel to which I can attach the tubing

This is what quantum makes:

That be what I have because I was too lazy to make a kit.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:23 AM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have some resources at the job, so I may go rummaging to see what I can do without getting into triple-digits on cost. I'm hitting the track in 2 weekends and would like to get this buttoned up (and actually useful) by then.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:34 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

FYI, the Z does NOT have hose going to the rotor from the factory. The duct is @1ft away like you mentioned on the Z from the factory too.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:02 AM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
FYI, the Z does NOT have hose going to the rotor from the factory. The duct is @1ft away like you mentioned on the Z from the factory too.
well that's interesting. guess i can't trust everything i read on this forum after all!

so anything i connect on the end of the duct is going to be better than the stock setup of the Z cooling...
Old 10-15-2012, 10:22 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyBoyC6
so anything i connect on the end of the duct is going to be better than the stock setup of the Z cooling...
Yep
Old 10-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Russkier
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also added the Z brake cooling ducts to my Z-51. I did not connect any hose though. I did a track day at Thunder Hill which has 3 very hard braking zones, and did not experience any fade with the stock brake pads. I did however, flush the stock brake fluid out and replaced with Stop Tech racing fluid. Not sure which of these actions prevented fade, but something worked.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:06 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Originally Posted by Russkier
I also added the Z brake cooling ducts to my Z-51. I did not connect any hose though. I did a track day at Thunder Hill which has 3 very hard braking zones, and did not experience any fade with the stock brake pads. I did however, flush the stock brake fluid out and replaced with Stop Tech racing fluid. Not sure which of these actions prevented fade, but something worked.
Definitely your fluid, and maybe your ducting. I'm surprised u didn't glaze the stock pads. I glazed Hawk HPS pads when I tried them prior to going with dedicated race pads.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Front Brake Duct Install on Base C6

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z06 Front Brake Duct Install on Base C6