C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering bolt install C6 how to (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 12:42 AM
bigtars
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About how many rounds per bolt is needed to lower my car 1" ? Thanks
Old 06-05-2016, 01:01 PM
pind
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

is an alignment needed after lowering?
The following users liked this post:
bigtars (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 02:00 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by bigtars
About how many rounds per bolt is needed to lower my car 1" ? Thanks
On a base c6 you will be lucky to get 1" on cut stock bolts. Not sure on how many turns. 1" bolt movement does not = 1" drop

Originally Posted by pind
is an alignment needed after lowering?
Cut bolts on base c6...mine was out very little. I couldn't tell when driving.
bigtars (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 06:50 PM
Thunder8
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Curt D
On a base c6 you will be lucky to get 1" on cut stock bolts. Not sure on how many turns. 1" bolt movement does not = 1" drop

Cut bolts on base c6...mine was out very little. I couldn't tell when driving.
1" sounds about right. You may want to just pay a litlle and get either HardBar or Eibach sets of bolts, and you can go lower too, if you want and be safe. Either of the brands I suggested will last much longer than the stockers too. Some folks have had trouble shorlty after modifying their stock bolts! Read the reviews over the stock bolts too.

I think a set is $49-$99, can't remember, been a while, but it's worth it and the piece of mind of not having to go back and do it again. I guess it depends on how much you drive, condition of the streets and who does the modifying?

I would highly suggest getting your alignment checked on a four wheel alignment machine, to be sure! Depending on the setting that needs to be adjusted, you cannot always tell by driving. Most shops don't charge just to check it though. I bet it will need to be adjusted! Everyone in my Corvette Club (over 250 members), that had it done, needed to have their alignment re-done after lowering. Dropping it will change the the settings, especially going lower than an inch! You'll love the look, improved turn-in and cornering, especially if you drop it 1.75" to 2" on the quality bolts!! With the Eibach, you can go as low as 2"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EIBACH-PRO-K...-/331139375654
Best of LCUK!!

Last edited by Thunder8; 06-08-2016 at 07:02 PM.
bigtars (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 07:53 PM
bigtars
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder8
1" sounds about right. You may want to just pay a litlle and get either HardBar or Eibach sets of bolts, and you can go lower too, if you want and be safe. Either of the brands I suggested will last much longer than the stockers too. Some folks have had trouble shorlty after modifying their stock bolts! Read the reviews over the stock bolts too.

I think a set is $49-$99, can't remember, been a while, but it's worth it and the piece of mind of not having to go back and do it again. I guess it depends on how much you drive, condition of the streets and who does the modifying?

I would highly suggest getting your alignment checked on a four wheel alignment machine, to be sure! Depending on the setting that needs to be adjusted, you cannot always tell by driving. Most shops don't charge just to check it though. I bet it will need to be adjusted! Everyone in my Corvette Club (over 250 members), that had it done, needed to have their alignment re-done after lowering. Dropping it will change the the settings, especially going lower than an inch! You'll love the look, improved turn-in and cornering, especially if you drop it 1.75" to 2" on the quality bolts!! With the Eibach, you can go as low as 2"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EIBACH-PRO-K...-/331139375654
Best of LCUK!!
Thanks a bunch to everyone. I lowered it 1" last night on all 4 corners. I could go another 3/4" but I think I'll leave it where it is. I have an alinement appointment on Friday. My side skirts and splash guards go the painter on Wednesday and I'll be finished with it for a while. Gotta get back to my Pro/Mod looking Henry J.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:22 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 896 Likes on 583 Posts

Eibach says their bolts will lower the car 0-2" How can it cover such a large range? Do they stack multiple pads on the bolt?

My GS has been lowered by a PO and I want to get it back to stock. Can I use these? Hate to buy new springs but it sounds likt that is what I will end up doing since the Eibach urethane pads don't last.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:29 PM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Eibach says their bolts will lower the car 0-2" How can it cover such a large range? Do they stack multiple pads on the bolt?

My GS has been lowered by a PO and I want to get it back to stock. Can I use these? Hate to buy new springs but it sounds likt that is what I will end up doing since the Eibach urethane pads don't last.
I am extremely skeptical about eibachs claims of 2".
Anyway...these are the only aftermarket bolts that look exactly like stock bolts.
http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50h&ukey=51135
Old 06-09-2016, 08:33 PM
Thunder8
Racer

Originally Posted by Curt D
I am extremely skeptical about eibachs claims of 2".
Anyway...these are the only aftermarket bolts that look exactly like stock bolts.
http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50h&ukey=51135
You can use stock GM bolts and just cut the rubber bushings to get them to go lower. You'll need new bushings to raise it back though.

My buddy in Santa Clara Corvette Club did get a full 2" drop out of Eibach's bolts. They're made of polyurethane and lasted about a year, BUT the roads he drives are absolutely terrible! This will shorten the life of the bolts tremendously.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ei...FVNqfgodiTUKvg

Summit wouldn't post "up to a 2" drop" if it wasn't true either.

If you want a bolt that WILL last and take the drop, but down to about 1.5", not a full 2", "Hardbar bolts", are the only way to go. These are made of Delrin, which is extremely hard. You do sacrifice the ride by a little bit, slightly harsher, but I've never heard of them failing either. You can get a about a 1.5" drop in these. They've been around for years too.

DO NOT use West Coast Corvette bolts!! Failure is right around the corner and they are twice as much $$ wise too.

Really, the only way to do it right and greatly improve your handling and ride, while being able to adjust height with a few turns, is with a set of coilover shocks!! This is what you're looking for, I believe.

Pfadt coilovers are a great way to go, a little more, around $1,400 (4), I think, but some of the best you can get, along with LG Motorsports Coilovers. You can finally ditch those P.O.S. leaf springs, with all kinds of bump steering too.

Check out these comments:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...dt-for-c6.html

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=c6+coilovers
This has all of them...I think
?
Decent list of coil overs here, (above)

Using tranverse mounted leaf springs on a newer Corvette is kind of joke, IMO. GM could've done coilovers as an option to the magnetic ride shocks, which are great too.

DO go with a set of coilovers!! Ditch the bolts and the antiquated leaf spring suspension!! It's a newer Vette for hecks sake!
Old 06-10-2016, 02:27 PM
WestCoastCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

In reply to do not buy WCC lowering bolts, We did have a hardness issue with the last batch that came in. The pads were the wrong hardness and it has been addressed and we are awaiting a new shipment. If anyone has had issues with the pads failing please contact us and we will get them replaced with a new set as soon as they are here.

Originally Posted by Thunder8

DO NOT use West Coast Corvette bolts!! Failure is right around the corner and they are twice as much $$ wise too.

Your #1 Resource For Corvette Parts and Corvette Accessories

1748 W Business Center Dr.
Orange, CA 92867
Phone:714.630.6396 / 888.737.8388

Shop By Model:
C8 Corvette Parts & Accessories
C7 Corvette Parts & Accessories
C6 Corvette Parts & Accessories
C5 Corvette Parts & Accessories

Last edited by WestCoastCorvette; 06-10-2016 at 02:27 PM. Reason: add sig
Old 09-23-2016, 05:14 PM
LiveFastZR8X
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one that can't see the pics?
Old 09-23-2016, 05:47 PM
Thunder8
Racer

Originally Posted by WestCoastCorvette
In reply to do not buy WCC lowering bolts, We did have a hardness issue with the last batch that came in. The pads were the wrong hardness and it has been addressed and we are awaiting a new shipment. If anyone has had issues with the pads failing please contact us and we will get them replaced with a new set as soon as they are here.

I'm glad to hear it's been fixed. This became a problem, going back years now. Several Corvette Club members all had premature bolt failures. I'm sure if you dig, you may be able to find old threads on the Inet. I'm not talking about a small group of people either. This became a well documented issue on the Web.

Again, happy it's fixed. Hopefully, you can get those customers back. I'll pass your information on to anyone that's interested.

Thanks
WestCoastCorvette (09-23-2016)
Old 03-14-2018, 04:12 PM
Ikillu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a set of bolts from someone and they are supposedly from zip corvette. Just wanted to know if it’s correct that the pads are two different sizes.

Quick Reply: Lowering bolt install C6 how to (with pics)