C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

name that sound game!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 06:51 PM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 925 Likes on 683 Posts
Default name that sound game!

anyone ready to play?

2007 c6 z06 manual

sound like it's coming from the firewall...

questions are allowed

thanks!

drew

Last edited by drewz06; 02-26-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:56 PM
Lees LS2
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drewz06
anyone ready to play?

https://youtu.be/cbpbYMccdUc

2007 c6 z06 manual

sound like it's coming from the firewall...

questions are allowed

thanks!

drew
wtf!!! lol sounds like a stray cat my wife feeds lol
Old 02-26-2018, 06:59 PM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Lees LS2
wtf!!! lol sounds like a stray cat my wife feeds lol
ah so that's where my cat went...

I'm guessing torque tube bearing....
Old 02-26-2018, 07:02 PM
Lees LS2
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ah so that's where my cat went...

I'm guessing torque tube bearing....
haha, hope its an easy fix
Old 02-27-2018, 03:08 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Would dare to guess that you have a coupler going south in the torque tube.

They are rubber with cords and as they start to go out, the cords will sling off the inside of the torque tube like a violin obw string to make that kind of noise.

part 28 and there is one front and one back on drive line in the torque tube.

As for if the couplers when south like above, replace the bearings at the same time.

If you are really throwing major increased power down the drive line, then instead of the using the OEM couplers, use something like the six shooter couplings instead. They have poly bushings so they still dampen a touch, but billet bodies that are not going to torque come apart like the OEM units instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 02-27-2018 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:20 AM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

Mmm wheel bearing
Old 02-27-2018, 07:45 AM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

good stuff!

stock as far as I know, was a Chevy cpo from the dealer....

I had thought wheel bearing but I can change the pitch of the sound by engaging and releasing the clutch in neutral while moving at 40mph....

also, rolling while in neutral, if I rev the engine, the pitch changes as well, which leads me to believe drive line issue....

I'm going out on a limb, but I'd also assume it may have something to do with my reverse "slamming" into gear....

dealer said they need it to be broken for them to file a warranty claim so I have to drive it some more....

sounds like some sort of strange supercharger.... very loud outside the car.... stops at about.80

thanks for the input! will let you know...

drew

Last edited by drewz06; 02-27-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:41 PM
Dano523
Race Director

good stuff!

also, rolling while in neutral, if I rev the engine, the pitch changes as well, which leads me to believe drive line issue....

If the car is rolling, with the drive line's speed at a constant, and revving up the motor changes the pitch, then may not be a coulper, but a problem with either the slave's TB, the clutch, or the pivot bearing/flywheel/starter instead.

Bottom line, the drive line will need to be dropped, so the drive line and the clutch (its parts) and be check to get to the root of the problem.

With the car still under warranty, take it into the shop now to be corrected, instead of waiting and something to really go south later; with such maybe causing you to wreck the car instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 02-27-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:47 AM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

yeah I figured this qualified as broken and had made an appointment, taking it in this morning...

so, if I'm moving at speed with the noise, and depress the clutch, I still hear the noise.

if I rev the engine with the clutch in..... the sound remains constant, does not increase with engine speed.

when rolling at speed and shift to neutral, let out clutch, still the same sound.

no sound at a stop in neutral... I can't really hear it when I try to increase engine speed in neutral, thanks exhaust....

but the noise is significantly louder under load as opposed to coasting in neutral

anyway, will let you know what the techs say

update, tech will look at it, taking it back Tuesday....

​​​​​​also, yeah it definitely has a violin like sound now that I listen to it....

Last edited by drewz06; 03-02-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:59 PM
Dano523
Race Director

yeah I figured this qualified as broken and had made an appointment, taking it in this morning...

so, if I'm moving at speed with the noise, and depress the clutch, I still hear the noise.

if I rev the engine with the clutch in..... the sound remains constant, does not increase with engine speed.

when rolling at speed and shift to neutral, let out clutch, still the same sound.

no sound at a stop in neutral... I can't really hear it when I try to increase engine speed in neutral, thanks exhaust....

but the noise is significantly louder under load as opposed to coasting in neutral

anyway, will let you know what the techs say

update, tech will look at it, taking it back Tuesday....

​​​​​​also, yeah it definitely has a violin like sound now that I listen to it....
Going back to coupler's, and not had to tear them up when someone is abusing the drive line with a torque of the LS7, via violent launches,burn outs, shift changes.

Hence as the motor loads up the torque tube, the couplers flex to end up with the loose cords slinging against the inside of the torque tube more.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:32 AM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

so, the transmission "is shot".

looks like some bearings in the case were going bad and there were metal fragments.

tech submitted a claim for an entire new transmission....
​​
aftermarket warranty hooray! 😃

getting them to swap in a new clutch and slave cylinder while it's out... I got two years on the warranty and the clutch isn't covered....

I'll update once I get it back and get the paperwork / talk to the tech.... hopefully it's a 6060 and not a 56

Get notified of new replies

To name that sound game!

Quick Reply: name that sound game!