C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Swap with stock cam.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:12 AM
nmarple254
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Head Swap with stock cam.

Is it worth doing any type of heads swap but keep the stock cam? I don't have the coin to work into the cam swap at a shop and I'm not thinking I can do it myself so I was thinking just heads. Any good payoffs?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Darin Morgan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nmarple254
Is it worth doing any type of heads swap but keep the stock cam? I don't have the coin to work into the cam swap at a shop and I'm not thinking I can do it myself so I was thinking just heads. Any good payoffs?
You will see gains but you could also loose low end Torque. When you port heads you make them larger which slows the air speed down. You need to pump more air through the engine with larger heads in order to get the air speed back up. That means installing a larger cam and increasing engine speed. Low end torque will suffer greatly with large ported heads if installed without a cam. You will see some gains in the mid range and top end but the gains wont be spectacular that's for sure. If your car is already tuned, you may see 20hp. If you port the TB, manifold and heads you will see 25-30hp. If you install the cam in conjunction with the heads you can see gains of 50-100hp depending on the cam and power band you choose. If I where you, I would save up enough to do the cam and heads together. You will be short changing yourself otherwise.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:52 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Do you have an LS2 or LS3? If LS2, you can probably buy a used FAST 102 and headers for about the same money as good heads and pick up 50ish rwhp with a tune.

Putting new heads on a stock cammed just doesn't seem to be worth the money to me. Normally people mod in this order, based on Hp gains and price (this is for N/A of course).

1 headers (note items 1 and 2 may be swapped depending on who you talk to)
2 intake manifold (ported stock or FAST)
3 cam and all the supporting goodies (UD pulley, springs, timing chain, pushrods, etc)
4 heads
Old 11-02-2012, 09:22 AM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by taken19
Do you have an LS2 or LS3? If LS2, you can probably buy a used FAST 102 and headers for about the same money as good heads and pick up 50ish rwhp with a tune.

Putting new heads on a stock cammed just doesn't seem to be worth the money to me. Normally people mod in this order, based on Hp gains and price (this is for N/A of course).

1 headers (note items 1 and 2 may be swapped depending on who you talk to)
2 intake manifold (ported stock or FAST)
3 cam and all the supporting goodies (UD pulley, springs, timing chain, pushrods, etc)
4 heads
I agree, don't waste money and time by just replacing heads if you are not going to address your cam.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:22 AM
nmarple254
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It's a LS2. I have full ZO6 exhaust coming and looking for the ported manifold/TB/cai. Just didn't know if I would really see any gains without the cam. Is it a lot easier to replace the cam while the heads are off or still a big pain?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:14 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

The response from post 3 makes sense for the LS2, I understand the LS3 has a pretty decent intake so headers might be the only mod worth considering for LS3 motors.

But for the heads, instead of opening the ports how about just polishing the ports and increasing compression to 11.5:1, or would replacement pistons be needed. The heads might be milled for more compression without the need for a piston change or cutting the existing pistons for valve relief.

Get notified of new replies

To Head Swap with stock cam.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head Swap with stock cam.