C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas smell all of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 AM
HKILP7M8
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gas smell all of a sudden

A few months ago I moved into a new place, about a month ago or so I started noticing a gas smell in the garage, this smell sometimes seems to also be in certain areas of the house. I also smell gas in the car while driving, friends have noticed this as well. What could have happened? I don't see any gas on the floor of the garage, I do smell a pretty strong smell when I go behind the car. Never smelled like this before.

I've been catless ever since I purchased the car in 07. Other mods are AR headers, BB exhaust, Halltech intake.

I never used to get headaches, I'm waking up with headaches everyday for the last month or so.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If there is any doubt, park the car outside and a moderate distance from your garage, to make sure that eliminates the smell after a day or two.

If the smell is coming from the car, then you really want to get it fixed ASAP. You have fire danger, health danger, you're wasting some gas, and the tree huggers hate you.

With mods on the car, tracking down the source of the leak might get more difficult if you don't know all of what has been done. The first step is usually to pressure test the fuel system and see if that shows a leak.

FWIW; our 2009 started to develop an occasional gas smell only after filling the tank and making hard right corners, which throws gas toward the gas cap. We never got a CEL or Gas Cap message, but I replaced the cap a few months ago and the smell has not returned.

Quick Reply: Gas smell all of a sudden