C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 fuel tank sending unit-replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 04:39 PM
williammease
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C6 fuel tank sending unit-replacement

My 2007 Coupe has 66,000 miles and it looks like I need to have a fuel sending unit replaced which I believe is contained inside the fuel tank. Can the fuel tank be removed without having to lower the auto transmission and other rearend components? I have 2 different GM mechanic opinions and the cost estimates are based on this answer. I think you know which estimate the dealer will charge me for. Has anyone corrected this same problem with a malfunctioning fuel tank sending unit?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:04 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It's usually a fuel problem that causes the unit to stick.
Try adding a bottle of Techron at each fillup until the gauge starts working again. Then either every second tank or switch fuel to one that already contains Techron, such as Chevron.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:41 PM
williammease
Advanced

How long should it take for this to work? Have you found this to work on your C6?
Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by williammease
How long should it take for this to work? Have you found this to work on your C6?
It's just information gleaned from years of reading on CF. I had a gauge go bad around 9K and it was fixed under warranty. Then I read it happened to others and how they resolved it. I immediately switched from ARCO or others to Chevron and have 103K without a recurance.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:19 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

The tank can be separated and removed without dropping the transmission, but unless you are very lucky or know exactly how to disconnect the crossover pipe with your eyes shut, it's gonna be a PITA. There's a thread about doing his. Here's the link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...fuel-pump.html

Good luck.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:21 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Try the Techron additive solution first. Many reports here on the forum of that working.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:09 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Techron or GM Fuel System Treatment Plus, probably the same product. Doesn't cure the gauge problem every time, but it's so cheap and easy to use it for 3-4 tankfuls (and switch to Top Tier gas) that I'd certainly try it first.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 PM
williammease
Advanced

I have been using only Sunoco 260 and BP premium. Are these considered top tier gas providers?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

No.

BP's website used to claim that their Premium met the Top Tier standards, but I can't find that now.

You can Google top tier gas.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Can it, yes. Is it easy, not at all. If you have done a few then you can do it "blind" by reaching up and around, atleast on a manual. On an auto I've heard it is worse.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:01 PM
one bad Z06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this today on my c6 z06 what a Pain !!!!!!!
But Dear: GM your fired on this design , oh and thank you for a faulty fuel level sensor , so I get to do this again ! Should be paying me to replace it again.
The following users liked this post:
Gotta-Qik-C7 (07-19-2018)
Old 03-11-2014, 07:19 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by williammease
My 2007 Coupe has 66,000 miles and it looks like I need to have a fuel sending unit replaced which I believe is contained inside the fuel tank. Can the fuel tank be removed without having to lower the auto transmission and other rearend components? I have 2 different GM mechanic opinions and the cost estimates are based on this answer. I think you know which estimate the dealer will charge me for. Has anyone corrected this same problem with a malfunctioning fuel tank sending unit?
I tried the Techron additive, and it didn't work for me. I've always used "top tier" fuel too. Sooo, luckily mine is still under warrenty, so after bike week I'm scheduling to replace my sensors. From talking to GM technicians and from out here, the sensor wiper area erodes, and it loses contact, and it can happen in both tanks (as mine is doing now). I'll intermittantly show "0" fuel, then a few minutes later, its working.

I'm also going to have them put in a Z06 fuel pump (at my cost for the pump), so that I'm prepared for more power later.

You should look at putting in the Z06 pump too, while you're into the tanks. It's a direct drop in.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:01 PM
eagmail
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im having same issue it comes and goes... randomly.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:08 PM
silver ls2
Instructor

Yes the fuel level sensor is Junk!!! Hopefully the designer is not making childrens toys now!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by silver ls2
Yes the fuel level sensor is Junk!!! Hopefully the designer is not making childrens toys now!
It isn't any junkier than the senders in other cars which more than likely are all made by the same vendor. The issue is sulfur deposits on the sender. If the refiner sends out a batch of gasoline with too much sulfer the sensor can be ruined in one visit to a gas station with that fuel. It can also happen over time if you are filling in an area where the sulfur content might be a little higher than in others. The best way to avoid that is to add some Techron to your tank every now and then to clean the sensor.

Bill
Old 06-28-2014, 06:09 PM
silver ls2
Instructor

Look at the pictures of the senders after they have been taken out. They are worn off! This is not because of sulfer in gas. Just a terrible design or bad metal on sensor arm.
The following users liked this post:
Gotta-Qik-C7 (07-19-2018)
Old 06-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Look at the pictures of the senders after they have been taken out. They are worn off! This is not because of sulfer in gas. Just a terrible design or bad metal on sensor arm.

We just went through this with my wife's 2007 vert two weeks ago. At first Rich (service manager @ Abel Chevy - they did the warranty repair) suggested trying the Techron thing and, oddly enough, it worked immediately. But the fix lasted one tank and the next time the thing went out (a week later) the Techron had no effect.

Rich says that eventually sensor's wires break off and there is nothing to do but replace the sensor.

I must agree that this is crap design - especially for something that is buried so deeply in the car.

Can my out-of-warranty 2007 Z06 be far behind?

Z//

Get notified of new replies

To C6 fuel tank sending unit-replacement

Old 07-01-2014, 08:45 PM
silver ls2
Instructor

No its not far behind! Luckly its a manuel. Alot easier to change out. All it takes is a few miles. I am scared to look at my motor mounts. Sure they are next on my to do list.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:01 PM
worldphotoartist
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just quoted….

No its not far behind! Luckly its a manuel. Alot easier to change out. All it takes is a few miles. I am scared to look at my motor mounts. Sure they are next on my to do list.
$2,589 for one side and recommended while it's apart, doing the other side for an additional $819.00

My 2006 C6 has just under 60,000 well loved miles. I'm really debating now that I'm out of warranty - and repairs are expensive - Repair or simply replace.

I'm based in Los Angeles - have not called anyone else to see if this work can be done in a more reasonable way.

Open to any thoughts…. (I've tried the techron).

What are the ramifications of driving with:
Service Engine Light on
Keeping track of miles after a fill up, and refueling with 100 miles to go - even though the gauge says empty.

Many thanks….

Expensive 1st post.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:02 PM
silver ls2
Instructor

Find a local corvette shop! Then call circleD and order a torque converter. Then you can do both at the same time. Make sure to take your vin# with you to get the parts! Not all the senders are the same! My tanks have been taken out 4 times now!

Quick Reply: C6 fuel tank sending unit-replacement