C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mantic 9000 Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Devilish34
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Thats a little rough no?
Not rough enough IMO...
Old 11-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Le Mans Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Devilish34
Not rough enough IMO...
She's a nice lady!!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Devilish34
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Le Mans C6
She's a nice lady!!
You language is offensive
Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

How about some more clutch info?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Devilish34
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
How about some more clutch info?
From me or people who have a Mantic 9000 and race their car?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Anyone really because I plan on getting rid of this LS9R. Want to hear more about the RPS BC2, Mantic, and RXT since those are my choices in that order. I'm sure it would help the OP in his decision and anyone else in the market.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Anyone really because I plan on getting rid of this LS9R. Want to hear more about the RPS BC2, Mantic, and RXT since those are my choices in that order. I'm sure it would help the OP in his decision and anyone else in the market.
Here are three different drivers currently using an RPS BC2.

Originally Posted by Shoaf85
Here is a video from friends phone of my 1.38 60' launch!

http://youtu.be/QnkXBBD2Amk
Originally Posted by Sébast19X
This is my submission for the fastlist. Please update my time if accepted.

Year of the Z06: 2008
Tires used on the pass: Hoosier DR 275-40-17 and front skinnies
Performance Mods (if any):VARARAM SC1R, American Racing Headers, FAST LSXR 102 intake, 102mm TB, Tune, RPS BC2 clutch, Stock Z06 3.42, oil catch can, Meziere EWP, PFADT shocks, Custom axleback pipes, LED kit, 427 emblems, Engine build by Kerry Rasmussen
Category submitted for: Bolt-Ons without Internal Engine Modification
60'............. 1.458
330'...........
660'........... 6.484
660’ mph... 109.77
1000'..........
1320'.......... 10.125
1320’ mph… 134.05
Name of the track: Piste d'accélération de Pont rouge
Date of pass: 2011-10-30
Weather conditions: (include Density Altitude, if known): DA: -725ft

Corvette Forum post containing report:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ry-canada.html

Timeslip image:

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
Gentlemen:
Please post some 60's for the OP to see.
Here are a few from an RPS BC2.
We could add another 32 entries if we wish to look at 1.4s.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:55 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
Here are three different drivers currently using an RPS BC2.
And here are two people who removed a perfectly good BC2 to install the Mantic and are happy with their decision to do so. Not everyone focuses solely on 60' times, many people just want a clutch that works great and drives like stock. Plus we have not focused on drilling 60' times from this clutch yet, so the jury is still out on it from our perspective. The slip capabilities of the clutch leads towards nice launching without breaking parts while doing so.

60' times like 1.3's require the willingness to break your car, simple as that. How many rears have you been threw Gary? 4-6-more? Axles-shafts-carriers, etc etc etc?
Less then 1% of the people we do business with are willing to do that for a 60' time to brag about, if they are their car is usually an auto, much faster, consistent, and winning races.

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
I've got 2-3 thousand miles on mine so far and still love it as much as the day I had it installed. No issues with hard driving or high RPM shifts and drives like OEM in traffic and around parking lots. We've had some nice 50 degree weather here in CT and I've been driving the car every day. No issues with I84 traffic during my 104 mile commute.

Don't forget to mention driving down to Englishtown, making bunch of 10-second passes, and turning around driving home on your normal street tires!

Originally Posted by Matt @ ECS
You are an easy sale though Billy.. Here back this car up 5 feet, OK IM SOLD. :
Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
Yeah, but backing up 5 feet used to REALLY, REALLY hard! :
Originally Posted by 1SwtRide
Hi John - sorry to hear you're in need of a clutch. I went from stock Z06 to RPS carbon carbon now I have the Mantic 9000. I'll give you my thoughts on RPS and Mantic. You're free to shoot me a PM if you have more questions and we can connect by phone, if that helps.

Cliff notes - I like the Mantic 9000 better than the RPS carbon carbon for my style of driving and my power levels.

Briefly - my car is 1000+ rwhp / 1000+ rwtq. Weather permitting, I daily drive my car (errands, too/from work, putting around town with my 10 yo son, stop and go traffic) but I also seize ever opportunity for spirited runs on Mexican roads and have tracked the car but not as much as I'd like to have. With my car's power, I have to have a clutch that can hold the power consistently and reliably, but I also have to be able to slip the clutch for smooth take off in traffic.

RPS definitely was an improvement from stock in terms of holding power. I had the RPS for about 2 years. However, two persistent negatives had me looking for other options, which ultimately lead me to Mantic. First, the clutch engagement / clutch pedal travel was never ideal for my type of driving as described above. I would grab almost immediately from the floor. Clutch pedal feel also was much stiffer than the stock pedal feel. After awhile in stop and go traffic, my left calf muscle would be feeling like I'd worked it out. Also, the clutch did NOT like to be slipped. It had a much more on/off engagement, which, again, definitely was not fun in traffic. IMO, RPS is a good clutch, just not the best choice for me.

I now have the Mantic 9000 with non-sprung discs in order to handle my power levels. I've put on about 500 miles. What an incredible difference! The first thing I noticed was the pedal feel. While I've not driven a stock clutch in a long time, I was immediately reminded of the stock pedal feel in terms of the light pedal pressure. Also, the clutch engages right where the stock clutch engages. Very user friendly. Just incredible. Next, thank the lord, I can slip this clutch with ease. It's made a world of difference in the daily driving aspect of my use of the car. Also, this clutch holds the power like no other! I recently ran with BamBam in Mexico and the clutch took a beating without breaking a sweat Because my discs are non-sprung, there is a tiny bit of clutch chatter on cold start up, but after the car gets warmed up, everything quiets down to RPS / stock noise levels.

A lot of words to get back to the cliff notes, Mantic all the way! The only other clutch I would contemplate is the Tilton clutch that Nick Yoskin recently installed in his monster of a car. However, that clutch is $6000+. Wayyyyyy too rich for my blood.

Hope this helps and, again, feel free to ask any questions I may not have answered.

Best of luck!

John

p.s. I've cross posted this in C5 section in case you get there first.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

I will say that personally I'm not interested in making a bunch of passes at the track but I would like to take it periodically to get solid times out of it. Most of my driving is on the street and in Mexico.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:54 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I will say that personally I'm not interested in making a bunch of passes at the track but I would like to take it periodically to get solid times out of it. Most of my driving is on the street and in Mexico.
Then you will absolutely love an RPS clutch. You may wish to look at their street twin which contains half carbon disks and is offered at a lower price point.
http://www.turboclutch.com/Pages/RPS%20ST%20Half.htm
Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

I actually talked to the owner a couple weeks back and told him everything and how I drive it and what it's used for. Based on that and my current power and future power he recommended the BC2 with a steel flywheel and ECS pedal stop.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I actually talked to the owner a couple weeks back and told him everything and how I drive it and what it's used for. Based on that and my current power and future power he recommended the BC2 with a steel flywheel and ECS pedal stop.
Rob Smith is a great guy and knows clutches. If you are adding more power, then that makes more sense. Also, I misunderstood your driving habits. (My apology)
Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Yeah he sat on the phone with me for over 30 min answering any question I had. Awesome customer service. You have been a great help also.

Sorry op didn't want to hijack your thread. Trying to help us get as much info as possible.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah he sat on the phone with me for over 30 min answering any question I had. Awesome customer service. You have been a great help also.

Sorry op didn't want to hijack your thread. Trying to help us get as much info as possible.
Thanks. Good luck in whatever you choose!
BTW- John, the OP, does not mind. He wants to get as many facts before he makes a purchase also.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Devilish34
Burning Brakes

NP
Old 11-28-2012, 05:33 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

And here are two people who removed a perfectly good BC2 to install the Mantic and are happy with their decision to do so. Not everyone focuses solely on 60' times, many people just want a clutch that works great and drives like stock. Plus we have not focused on drilling 60' times from this clutch yet, so the jury is still out on it from our perspective. The slip capabilities of the clutch leads towards nice launching without breaking parts while doing so.

60' times like 1.3's require the willingness to break your car, simple as that. How many rears have you been threw Gary? 4-6-more? Axles-shafts-carriers, etc etc etc?
Less then 1% of the people we do business with are willing to do that for a 60' time to brag about, if they are their car is usually an auto, much faster, consistent, and winning races.

OP, for the record, the RPS is a great clutch, we still have some in stock if your interested in them. Each time I rearrange the stock room we find more.
We just have had better feed back from the Mantic line.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Devilish34
Burning Brakes

Leaning towards rebuilding the RXT until I feel like dropping 1700+...

Get notified of new replies

To Mantic 9000 Opinions

Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1SwtRide
Hi John - sorry to hear you're in need of a clutch. I went from stock Z06 to RPS carbon carbon now I have the Mantic 9000. I'll give you my thoughts on RPS and Mantic. You're free to shoot me a PM if you have more questions and we can connect by phone, if that helps.

Cliff notes - I like the Mantic 9000 better than the RPS carbon carbon for my style of driving and my power levels.

Briefly - my car is 1000+ rwhp / 1000+ rwtq. Weather permitting, I daily drive my car (errands, too/from work, putting around town with my 10 yo son, stop and go traffic) but I also seize ever opportunity for spirited runs on Mexican roads and have tracked the car but not as much as I'd like to have. With my car's power, I have to have a clutch that can hold the power consistently and reliably, but I also have to be able to slip the clutch for smooth take off in traffic.

RPS definitely was an improvement from stock in terms of holding power. I had the RPS for about 2 years. However, two persistent negatives had me looking for other options, which ultimately lead me to Mantic. First, the clutch engagement / clutch pedal travel was never ideal for my type of driving as described above. I would grab almost immediately from the floor. Clutch pedal feel also was much stiffer than the stock pedal feel. After awhile in stop and go traffic, my left calf muscle would be feeling like I'd worked it out. Also, the clutch did NOT like to be slipped. It had a much more on/off engagement, which, again, definitely was not fun in traffic. IMO, RPS is a good clutch, just not the best choice for me.

I now have the Mantic 9000 with non-sprung discs in order to handle my power levels. I've put on about 500 miles. What an incredible difference! The first thing I noticed was the pedal feel. While I've not driven a stock clutch in a long time, I was immediately reminded of the stock pedal feel in terms of the light pedal pressure. Also, the clutch engages right where the stock clutch engages. Very user friendly. Just incredible. Next, thank the lord, I can slip this clutch with ease. It's made a world of difference in the daily driving aspect of my use of the car. Also, this clutch holds the power like no other! I recently ran with BamBam in Mexico and the clutch took a beating without breaking a sweat Because my discs are non-sprung, there is a tiny bit of clutch chatter on cold start up, but after the car gets warmed up, everything quiets down to RPS / stock noise levels.

A lot of words to get back to the cliff notes, Mantic all the way! The only other clutch I would contemplate is the Tilton clutch that Nick Yoskin recently installed in his monster of a car. However, that clutch is $6000+. Wayyyyyy too rich for my blood.

Hope this helps and, again, feel free to ask any questions I may not have answered.

Best of luck!

John

p.s. I've cross posted this in C5 section in case you get there first.
Mark is correct Pete, the car was a six speed earlier in the week, but I broke the diff at Atco and didnt want to chance that happening so far away so we made it an auto. (glide/9")
It looks like it will stay that way for a week or two then it will be back to a six speed again.
The car did not win the event, but I bet it was the fastest car with NAV, AC and heated seats there.
(The winner was a fox body Mustang with an LS engine)
I guess everyone breaks parts.

I broke the shafts twice in an Eaton diff out of your shop. With the current rear installed a couple of years ago (a bunch of 1.3s ago), we have not broken, knock on wood.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:19 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Devilish34
Leaning towards rebuilding the RXT until I feel like dropping 1700+...
That's not a bad idea either, especially if you are doing the work.
Good luck in whatever you choose.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Devilish34
Burning Brakes

OP, for the record, the RPS is a great clutch, we still have some in stock if your interested in them. Each time I rearrange the stock room we find more.
We just have had better feed back from the Mantic line.
I personally need to see some positive feed back on how well the Mantic takes track abuse from members who race and push there car hard.. I've already talked to Juic3d about his clutch and his impressions .

Quick Reply: Mantic 9000 Opinions