C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car overheated, swapped T-stat noticed cooling fan isn't working! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:11 PM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car overheated, swapped T-stat noticed cooling fan isn't working! HELP!

I have an 08 SC coupe, the other day it overheated on me which we determined to be a stuck thermostat so swapped the stock out for a 160 which kept it from over heating but ran hot up to 210-220 which is in operating range but not normal for a 160 and its cold out today. We looked and realized the fan isn't coming on at all even when we tried it manually on tuning software. My buddy's guess is that the tStat went out a day or 2 before I noticed but the fan was keeping it cooled down but due to running continuously it has burned something up. When I posted the overheating issue alot of you said to check the fan relay because it is a common problem.

My question is, do you think it sounds correct that that is what had happened? Also, can I pick up the relay from the dealership? Is it an easy swap or will I need to take things apart to get to it? What is the cost of the part? Where is it located in the engine bay?

Thanks guys! Don't let me down, I need my car!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:00 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Before the relay I would check the fan connector near the radiator. Unplug it and see if it looks burnt or melted. That happens a lot on these cars. If that's the case I don't know what the solution has been. Either try to get a replacement connector or eliminate it completely and hard wire the two ends together.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:06 PM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Originally Posted by EVRose
Before the relay I would check the fan connector near the radiator. Unplug it and see if it looks burnt or melted. That happens a lot on these cars. If that's the case I don't know what the solution has been. Either try to get a replacement connector or eliminate it completely and hard wire the two ends together.
Oh alright Ill check that after work! I've been reading other threads and it seems that you can't get these connectors by themselves you have to order the whole unit to get it. From my interpretation of what people said, it seems that if the ground (middle pin) is burnt, you just remove it and ground it to the car itself. If its a +, I'm not sure of the fix. I'm just hoping its easy and can fix it tonight! its my DD!!!

what do you mean remove it completely and hardwire the two ends together? I'm not the strongest in electical work.

Last edited by 1quickTXVette; 01-03-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1quickTXVette
Oh alright Ill check that after work! I've been reading other threads and it seems that you can't get these connectors by themselves you have to order the whole unit to get it. From my interpretation of what people said, it seems that if the ground (middle pin) is burnt, you just remove it and ground it to the car itself. If its a +, I'm not sure of the fix. I'm just hoping its easy and can fix it tonight! its my DD!!!

what do you mean remove it completely and hardwire the two ends together? I'm not the strongest in electical work.
he means remove connector. solder together or twist with wirecaps
Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 PM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
Okay correct me if I am wrong, 3 wires connect to both the male and female end of the connector. By putting them together do you just mean cut the wires from the male and female connectors and just put the wires together directly?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:44 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I have an 08 SC coupe, the other day it overheated on me which we determined to be a stuck thermostat so swapped the stock out for a 160 which kept it from over heating but ran hot up to 210-220 which is in operating range but not normal for a 160 and its cold out today. We looked and realized the fan isn't coming on at all even when we tried it manually on tuning software. My buddy's guess is that the tStat went out a day or 2 before I noticed but the fan was keeping it cooled down but due to running continuously it has burned something up. When I posted the overheating issue alot of you said to check the fan relay because it is a common problem.

My question is, do you think it sounds correct that that is what had happened? Also, can I pick up the relay from the dealership? Is it an easy swap or will I need to take things apart to get to it? What is the cost of the part? Where is it located in the engine bay?

Thanks guys! Don't let me down, I need my car!
I had pretty much the same thing happen to me last summer and rather than the thermostat going out (which I originally thought was the problem) it was actually the fan relay partially melting which prevented it from coming on.

If you're lucky (as I was) only one of the contacts partially melted the surrounding plastic so I was able to slightly bend it a bit to have it make good contact and it's been fine ever since. The more common problem is for the the entire connector to melt pretty badly which will require you to either getting a new connector or just bypassing it altogether and solder the wires together.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Okay correct me if I am wrong, 3 wires connect to both the male and female end of the connector. By putting them together do you just mean cut the wires from the male and female connectors and just put the wires together directly?
Yes. Soldering them would be best but you can use wire nuts and wrap it with electrical tape.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:03 PM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Great! Thanks guys, I'm hoping for the best! Hopefully its just a simple connection issue that we can put the wires together and call it a day!

What exactly is the purpose of the connector? If it works just fine by having the wires directly connected then why wasn't this done at the factory by using one set of wires, why use a connector?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 PM
superchevy32
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to steal your thread by any means but I'm having the same problem, my fan worked fine before I put a we motor in, now it won't work. Something's you can try, which I already tried,
is check the ground wires above the starter on the passenger side
Take some jumper cables an stick them to the positive an negative inside the plug that plugs into that big silver box(fan speed controller) an make sure the fan still runs, it will run full blast.

Now my problem is I can ground the green wire coming through the wiring harness an the fan will kick on for just a second, I test my speed controller on another car an it works, snap on scanner says computer is telling fan to turn on, I have deleted the fan plug an wired solid
Old 01-03-2013, 04:22 PM
superchevy32
Advanced

Anybody have a wiring schematic for the fans?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:02 PM
wstaab
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 129 Posts

I've been reading other threads and it seems that you can't get these connectors by themselves you have to order the whole unit to get it.
You can get just the connectors from Caspers: http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...oducts_id=1003
They have both the male and the female side.
Common problem on the C6.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:16 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by wstaab
You can get just the connectors from Caspers: http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...oducts_id=1003
They have both the male and the female side.
Common problem on the C6.
NICE WEB SITE!!! Bookmarked.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 PM
superchevy32
Advanced

Honestly I would rather mine be hard wired just because those plugs have know problems. No schematic to the fan I guess???????
Old 01-04-2013, 01:43 AM
1quickTXVette
Racer

We looked at mine after work today and it was actually the male ground connector. We pulled those out and added a male and female spade to the wires then electrical taped it up and wahlah fan began working again! The car seems to be doing fine and doesn't seem to have hurt anything on the overheat. I'll just keep an eye on coolant level to be sure. I was going to just hard wire it but my buddy had said if the fan was to overheat again it is always going to melt the weakest point so he wanted to keep this being the weakest point because it is a very simple fix if it happened again. By us using new a new spade connector for the ground wire hard wire it will remain the weakest point. He didnt want the weakest point to end up in a portion of the wire tucked away and hard to locate and work on.

But I'm sooooooo pumped that my car is up and running again and back on her feet! Feels good having it back!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose

Car runs great with no problems.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
Wire caps this ain't a house ...
Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

210-220 isn't an overheat so I wouldn't sweat it. In fact, I wish my car would run that hot in the winter. These motors make more power when they have some heat in them but my 160* stat keeps the motor around 175 in the winter time. I'm just too lazy to swap out the t-stat for a hotter one.

for not being a bigger issue

Get notified of new replies

To Car overheated, swapped T-stat noticed cooling fan isn't working! HELP!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 AM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Originally Posted by JUIC3D
210-220 isn't an overheat so I wouldn't sweat it. In fact, I wish my car would run that hot in the winter. These motors make more power when they have some heat in them but my 160* stat keeps the motor around 175 in the winter time. I'm just too lazy to swap out the t-stat for a hotter one.

for not being a bigger issue
Normally people wouldn't use a 160 in the dead of winter but I live in Texas so it never exactly gets arctic temperatures haha. Although, had the first cold day of winter yesterday which snowed and the high is 32 today. If it wasn't for it being cold yesterday, the car would've still overheated due to the fan being out. But in the cold yesterday, when you get to moving the air provides the same effect as the fan. But I'm so glad that's all it was and didn't have to swap a fan!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...d-working.html
Attached Images  

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 01-04-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:32 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Great! Thanks guys, I'm hoping for the best! Hopefully its just a simple connection issue that we can put the wires together and call it a day!

What exactly is the purpose of the connector? If it works just fine by having the wires directly connected then why wasn't this done at the factory by using one set of wires, why use a connector?
Glad you're back up and running again. The first time that happened to me, I replaced the whole connector with the GM repair part. Strangely though, the GM replacement has smaller gauge wires than the original. So when it happened again, I just did the bypass on the one wire by clipping that wire out and using a bullet connector. That allows the ability to retain the disconnect for fan/radiator removal without cutting a hardwired connection.

Quick Reply: Car overheated, swapped T-stat noticed cooling fan isn't working! HELP!