C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Tube Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default The bearings don't fail......

Originally Posted by starkynuke
Gentlemen, I appreciate all the inputs and posts. It's made my new situation a little less annoying. I just finished installing a Centerforce clutch/flywheel, GM slave assembly, and new pilot bearing because the dealer told me that the throwout bearing was bad and it needed a new clutch (that solid advice was after 2 days of them having no clue what the noise was so I'm guessing it was just a shotgun approach ). Now that it's all done and back together, the noise is still there...albeit just a bit different now. Our local club mechanic at Flatout Motorworx has told me that he's thinking it's the torque tube bearings.

What are my options as far as that goes? Is there a rebuild kit? Where can I just buy the bearings to press in? I'm all for getting this done, but with a track even next weekend, I need to get on it ASAP. Dealer quoted me $1400 for a new torque tube.

Finally, what is the impact of driving with worn/damaged torque tube bearings?
In my opinion the bearings don't fail..... UNLESS they are run with a bent tube for a while.

The rubber guibos blow up.... and if you're in there for the guibos, change the shaft too.

You can tell if you remove the shaft and inspect the plastic ring in the middle of the shaft.

If it's melted or abraded on one side, then it means the tube bent under load and the ring contacted the outer tube.

If that happens, it's no good. With the tube removed, you can look down the torque tube with a flashlight and see the rub

mark where it touched. Housings usually don't go bad, but the guts do.

Remove the rubber inspection plate in the front of the tube and make sure the 10mm allen bolt is TIGHT clamping the shaft spline.

Lastly, the rear yoke that the flexplate attaches to is multiple pieces. It's got a male/female spline like a pinion and yoke of a

regular rear end..... The nut loosens up and the spline wobbles and makes noise.

Dis-assembly, inspection, cleaning, lock-tite, and more Foot Pounds than the factory used does the trick every time.

Also use lock-tite on the splines as well as the nut.

DON'T GO IN THERE without fixing/replacing all the stuff above.

The second time SUCKS 4 times more than the first time!
Chuck CoW
Old 01-19-2013, 10:33 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by dwat8841
I have not been told of any diagnostics that help. My first two episodes caused a "rattle" about midship...the technician at the dealer seemed stumped as well. I don't get a warm, fuzzy feeling with this dealership!!! They called GM engineers and were told what to do. It's unfortunate that it is very difficult to find a true mechanic now a days. Most are parts swappers
I have a good friend that is a 'certified' GM mechan, excuse me, technican. As long as he can plug the car into a computer and it tells him what to replace, he can do it. But, even with that, he is ham-fisted, and not very gentle with customers cars. Perhaps it's because he is paid 'per the job'. A flat rate. And is trying to push through as many jobs/day as he can.

But, true mechanic's with diagnostic skills are rare.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow
Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
In my opinion the bearings don't fail..... UNLESS they are run with a bent tube for a while.

The rubber guibos blow up.... and if you're in there for the guibos, change the shaft too.

You can tell if you remove the shaft and inspect the plastic ring in the middle of the shaft.

If it's melted or abraded on one side, then it means the tube bent under load and the ring contacted the outer tube.

If that happens, it's no good. With the tube removed, you can look down the torque tube with a flashlight and see the rub

mark where it touched. Housings usually don't go bad, but the guts do.

Remove the rubber inspection plate in the front of the tube and make sure the 10mm allen bolt is TIGHT clamping the shaft spline.

Lastly, the rear yoke that the flexplate attaches to is multiple pieces. It's got a male/female spline like a pinion and yoke of a

regular rear end..... The nut loosens up and the spline wobbles and makes noise.

Dis-assembly, inspection, cleaning, lock-tite, and more Foot Pounds than the factory used does the trick every time.

Also use lock-tite on the splines as well as the nut.

DON'T GO IN THERE without fixing/replacing all the stuff above.

The second time SUCKS 4 times more than the first time!
Chuck CoW
Thanks for your input Chuck. I'm going through this right now and am following the advice of Horse Power Sales of Pompano which was exactly the same as yours. Do it once and do it right.
Thank you sir,
Jeff
Old 04-17-2013, 10:34 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default When it started happening to my customers....

Originally Posted by Justasheet
Thanks for your input Chuck. I'm going through this right now and am following the advice of Horse Power Sales of Pompano which was exactly the same as yours. Do it once and do it right.
Thank you sir,
Jeff
When it started happening to my customers, at first we weren't sure but time after time

we found the tube or guibos (or both) were at fault.

Too much labor to "guess".... Fix it and forget it.

Thanks
Chuck CoW
Old 05-17-2013, 01:48 PM
cpzee
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the second complete torque tube has been replaced, under warranty. I asked the service manager what was causing the problem. His response..."I wish I knew...GM engineers wish they knew". I asked if he knew the definition of insanity! He looked stumped so I said..it's doing the SAME thing over and over again, expecting different results! Then I told him to make me an appointment in 3 months and left.
Service managers aren't what they used to be. I had a problem with the battery discharging or being dead every other day. I also indicated to them the window indexing was not working. After three days of we can't find a problem because there are no codes, I asked them to replace the outside door switch but they said no that's not it and we don't want to just start replacing parts.....but we have no idea what is wrong. I put a switch in and have been good ever since. Now I also have the torque tube issue I beleive....afraid to take it in there again.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Mr.Fixzit
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently purchased an 07 vert with 88,000 miles. I'm starting to get a vibration/rumbling sound at 3500-3700 rpm in gear and neutral. I'm assuming I'm starting to have some torque tube bushing/bearing issues. I don't have the facilities for that work myself. After reading these threads and all the issues, does anyone know any place I could trust to do that kind of work in the northeast Florida/Jacksonville area. Thanks for all the good info and advice already posted.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:44 PM
C6WNC
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a 2011 Grand Sport 'vert, auto, bought new in July '11, 13,000 miles. I decided in Oct '11 to buy engine and trans tune from COW. Very nice improvement in response and shifting, very pleased.

In Aug '12, I started hearing a rattle underneath car about mid-length. It continued to get louder so I went to dealer. 10 days later, they said the bearing in the torque tube were bad and replaced them, under warranty. In Oct '12, same noise, same length to repair, entire torque tube was replaced, under warranty.

Heard a different noise this time, louder in engine compartment at 1800 RPM's. Went to dealer last Wednesday, called today and GM engineer said replace torque tube again. I asked the service rep if he thought this was strange. He said that since I had "some after-market calibrations, he was surprised that GM had warrantied any of the work and probably would not the next time".

Has anyone had similar problems? Can GM pick and choose which work to warranty? I realize that the COW tune could void warranty but they honored the first two replacements, and I assume they will honor this one.

Any similar experiences? Thanks
I had my TT replace, with similar symptoms. When I got the car back I still had the slight vibration. I took it back and told them it wasn't right. I did some research on the forum and one forum member said to check the motor mounts and have them replaced at the same time. I called the dealer and guess what...Both motor mounts were shot. The service manager said the stock mounts were garbage and said to source some aftermarket mounts. I purchased the Hinson motor & trans mounts and the dealer installed.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:01 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Brown rust on the front crossmember is a sure clue to junk mounts.

Quick Reply: Torque Tube Replacement