C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-03-2015, 12:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2005 C6 auto's stuck in Park, solution with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 09:49 PM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Yep, that's the correct piece to cut off. I tied mine back out of the way instead.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:16 PM
AKc62007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a bind you can punch downwards with a closed fist to pop it in to gear I did this for 3 days when I was stuck in LA. Think like a hammer on top of the shifter 3 hits usually work for me! Iam on my 3rd shifter for an 07 just hit 60000 miles
Old 10-02-2014, 03:10 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by AKc62007
In a bind you can punch downwards with a closed fist to pop it in to gear I did this for 3 days when I was stuck in LA. Think like a hammer on top of the shifter 3 hits usually work for me! Iam on my 3rd shifter for an 07 just hit 60000 miles
If you tied the locking pawl back in the first place you'd still be on your original shifter.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:59 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
If you tied the locking pawl back in the first place you'd still be on your original shifter.
nah..thats for us po' folks...he lives in vegas where money is just an object.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:28 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
nah..thats for us po' folks...he lives in vegas where money is just an object.
Yep, I'm one of those po' folks alright but where do you think I live? Money hasn't become just an object for me here yet.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:22 PM
CajunVetteLA
5th Gear

Originally Posted by RICH 28
Yep, that's the correct piece to cut off. I tied mine back out of the way instead.
Sweet thanks. It's always come out with minor tinkering within 15 to 20 seconds so far, but I'm preparing to rip the leather and do this when the time comes.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:44 AM
shootincyclone
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

If you tip that piece back a quarter of an inch you are all set. I'm not sure I would completely break it off. We did this to my father in laws 2005 and by doing it right and not cutting out any steps it took us a little less than 2 hours.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:25 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by shootincyclone
If you tip that piece back a quarter of an inch you are all set. I'm not sure I would completely break it off. We did this to my father in laws 2005 and by doing it right and not cutting out any steps it took us a little less than 2 hours.
yeah... I just tied mine back also.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:36 PM
AKc62007
Instructor

Originally Posted by EVRose
EVRose and tennblkc6 i was just trying to help thats what the forums are for. keep your smart *** comments to your self thats why i stay out of the forums cause people like you.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:45 PM
EVRose
Race Director

EVRose and tennblkc6 i was just trying to help thats what the forums are for. keep your smart *** comments to your self thats why i stay out of the forums cause people like you.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:18 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

lol..i was just messing wit cha...your clock spring must be wound a little tight. it's the innerweb...relax.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Fctatesc
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Locked in Park

I have been off the Forum for awhile due to lost user name and password, but I have read the blogs on this issue. Following is my response.

I have a 2005 C-6 which suffers the locked in park syndrome for the past 8 years. 7 years ago I took it to a dealer (Weseloh Chev. in Carlsbad CA). The young technician was determined to find the problem. After a look, he called me back to his work site and together we went through the entire circuit that affects the shift lock solenoid. The results narrowed the problem down to the brake light solenoid located under the passenger side floorboard. When the resistance builds up in this solenoid, the voltage drops and is not sufficient to actuate the brake lock solenoid (in the same circuit) thereby locking the shift lever in Park.

The simple fix when the brake solenoid starts locking up is to replace the brake light solenoid. I buy them at dealer parts for about $6.50 and always carry a spare. Simply lift the floor board forward, unplug the little square brake light solenoid and plug in a new one. Easier than changing a fuse. This usually solves the problem until the new solenoid builds up resistance again causing the shift lock solenoid to fail.

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
outagas (01-17-2016)
Old 10-11-2014, 01:40 PM
CajunVetteLA
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Fctatesc
I have been off the Forum for awhile due to lost user name and password, but I have read the blogs on this issue. Following is my response.

I have a 2005 C-6 which suffers the locked in park syndrome for the past 8 years. 7 years ago I took it to a dealer (Weseloh Chev. in Carlsbad CA). The young technician was determined to find the problem. After a look, he called me back to his work site and together we went through the entire circuit that affects the shift lock solenoid. The results narrowed the problem down to the brake light solenoid located under the passenger side floorboard. When the resistance builds up in this solenoid, the voltage drops and is not sufficient to actuate the brake lock solenoid (in the same circuit) thereby locking the shift lever in Park.

The simple fix when the brake solenoid starts locking up is to replace the brake light solenoid. I buy them at dealer parts for about $6.50 and always carry a spare. Simply lift the floor board forward, unplug the little square brake light solenoid and plug in a new one. Easier than changing a fuse. This usually solves the problem until the new solenoid builds up resistance again causing the shift lock solenoid to fail.

Hope this helps.
Very interesting. Do you have a part #?
Old 10-11-2014, 02:00 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by CajunVetteLA
Very interesting. Do you have a part #?
And, the location of the "lift the floor board forward" because I have no clue. thanks.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:12 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
And, the location of the "lift the floor board forward" because I have no clue. thanks.
That would be the carpet at the top of the passenger side foot area. The fuse box is behind there.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:37 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

There is another thread on here where they quoted the owners manual saying a workaround is ...

Manual sez:
1 put the car in accessory mode
2 apply and hold brake till end of step 4
3 shift to neutral
4 start the engine and shift to wanted gear

I found that this works for me now but not necessarily the first time. If I climb in the car almost ALWAYS now it exhibits the stuck in park problem.

After finding this post - it seems as if I just put the car into and out of accessory mode you can HEAR the solenoid attempting to disengage the lockout - I do it a couple - three times and bingo - I put my foot on the brake (in acc mode) pull it back to neutral - start it - and good to go.

A good work around for now until I get to a more permanent fix or workaround.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:35 PM
ZMMMMM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 160 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Fctatesc

Hope this helps.
I tried this solution and it failed for me. I used a new US$6.50 black square "stop lamp" fuse-of-sorts and experienced the same "stuck in park" issue later the same day. Im guessing that is why the OP never responded with a part num.

Im currently experiencing the issue prolly 25% of the time. When it occurs, you just play with it for less than 30 seconds. It has occurred prolly 100 times now, but has never taken more than 30 seconds to move outta park.

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 C6 auto's stuck in Park, solution with pics.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:27 AM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tlschmidt71
Im currently experiencing the issue prolly 25% of the time. When it occurs, you just play with it for less than 30 seconds. It has occurred prolly 100 times now, but has never taken more than 30 seconds to move outta park.
Wow... 100 times?
You like living dangerously. It took only about 10 times for me to decide to take the sucker apart (center console) and tie the locking dog back and away from the shifter gear.
Worth every minute of my time to get what I experience now every time I get in the car: Peace of mind.

I like living stress free.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Carmania
4th Gear

Default sticking gearshifter

Originally Posted by tlschmidt71
I have the same "wont shift out of park" problem with my 2008 C6, whereas I never once had the problem with my 2005 C6. Because I didn't get an extended warranty, ive spent hours reading these forums, and there has been no easy solution. However, I've noticed that now that I'm driving the car daily, the percentage of problem occurences have significantly decreased. Previously, I was only home driving the car on weekends. Also, the car has never totally failed...it always gives in and complies within 30 seconds.

I have a 2005 corvette with a sticking gear shifter and has gotten worse through the years, after trial and error through experimentation i believe i may have found a quick and easy fix for everyone, spray wd-40 or silicone spray using an injector tube into the corners of the push button **** of the shifter, Run the shifter through all the gears a few times and that should do it, my problem has been resolved , hope it works for you as well, joe.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:09 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmania
I have a 2005 corvette with a sticking gear shifter and has gotten worse through the years, after trial and error through experimentation i believe i may have found a quick and easy fix for everyone, spray wd-40 or silicone spray using an injector tube into the corners of the push button **** of the shifter, Run the shifter through all the gears a few times and that should do it, my problem has been resolved , hope it works for you as well, joe.
The issue here is the non responsive solenoid that keeps the shifter locked in park and not a "sticky" gear shifter.

Quick Reply: 2005 C6 auto's stuck in Park, solution with pics.