C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering rack leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Pace08
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power steering rack leak

The power steering rack on my 2005 is leaking. I cannot ascertain exactly where the leak originates, but it appears that neither the power steering pump nor the hoses are leaking. I have read some earlier posts about this problem, but would like to know what it costs to replace the rack, if it is needed. Can it be resealed or repaired? Is this a common problem? If so, is there a common cause? The vehicle has 60k miles. I am gathering information before I take it to a dealer.
Thanks
Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately, new OEM isn't available anymore so, if you could get a used, low-mileage OEM unit to replace it with, that would be my suggestion.

Otherwise, I've used and the folks in the autocross/race section highly recommend: http://www.turnone-steering.com/

One thing to keep in mind... if it's leaking where the wire's come out of it, a rebuild isn't going to fix that. I've had some success with sealing it from the outside but, at that point, going with that replacement even with a rebuilt unit locally with a warranty may be better choice. Especially, if you can do your own swaps.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:53 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

It could be leaking past the end seals under the accordian boots on either end. That was where mine leaked. When the shop pulled back the boots to get at the inner tie rod ends they were full of oil.

At the time, I had to replace mine with a brand-new OEM piece as there were NO re-manufactured units around. I guess mine became the first one!!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:58 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Disregard my stating there aren't any OEM's available. I keep forgetting mine is a C5.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Vegas Panton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Default PS Leaking

Check the small tube that runs along the top of the rack and attaches to the top of the rack at midsection with a hex nut fitting. You can clearly see it when looking from the passenger side the the engine bay. Mine was about a 1/8 of a turn loose. I tightened the nut and cleaned up the rank. So far it has stayed dry.

Last edited by Vegas Panton; 01-21-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Pace08,

Please keep me updated on what you hear from your dealership?

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default has it ever been out?

have you removed it for a balancer or cam? check the lines to it. they may have gotten loose.

good luck
Old 07-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 2005 leak

I still have a leak after replacing the high pressure hose and the pump. What is the hex but on top of the power steering anyway???

I heard that seems to be the culprit for some.

BTW, this is what I did to replace the pump / hose incase anyone needs instructions.

Steps: (Obtain a Pulley removal tool from your fav auto parts store, Autozone rents for free)
(First DRAIN ALL PS FLUID FROM THE RESERVOIR!)

1. Remove the Air Dam / Filters up to throttle body
2. Remove alternator (held on by 2 15 mm bolts) and the 1 wire cionnection + 13 mm nut holding the ground in place
3. Loosen the PS reservoir held on by 2 15 mm bolts.
4. There are 2 clamp hoses holding the PS Reservoir to the pump assembly. Remove if you can, if not wait until everything is loosened and try again)
5. There are 2 15 mm bolts (1 is behind the pulley wheel itself on the PS pump) and one is further down in between the throttle body and the pulley (hard to reach on my '05, I prayed the whole time I don't strip it, but it came off eventually)
6. Once all bolts loosened, pull the pulley out towards yourself and away from ABS unit.
Attach pulley removal tool here to remove the pulley, I hung the pump tself with telephone cord high and dry over the throttle body by rigging my own pulley system so I could take the pulley off.)
7. Once pulley removed, it is easy to remove the 16 mm. holding the High pressure hose to the pump itself.
8. There are about 4-5 bolts holding the pump to the aluminum bracket.
9. Replace the new pump, apply new pulley, BUT be sure you put your 16 mm high pressure hose nut on with a NEW O-RING prior to the placement of the pulley AND MAKE SURE TO SLIDE THE 2 BOLTS that are NOT Going to slide in if the pulley is on first.
10. At this point, you should have your 16 mm bolt (from high pressure hose) and 2 15 mm bolts in place.
11. Slide the Power steering pump back into place making sure the High pressure hose clears the belt train and the crankshaft pulley
12. Reverse the rest. EASY.

IF YOU HAVE TO REPLACE YOUR HOSE:

BTW I had to replace my high pressure hose as my 05 had the SHORT one, so I bought a new one (much longer hose) from Rockauto (80 shipped), re-routing over the front cross member was required, but the only difference is when everything is off, there is an 18 mm. bolt holding onto the PS assembly itself (Use a flare wrench to avoid stripping) that must come off. Remove that as well. I held the hose on by aluminum zip ties.

Last edited by Ahmer; 07-27-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:19 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Finally got my car back from Chevy after getting a new AC compressor, new ABS harnesses behind the seats (my airbag light was persistent) and a new high pressure hose for my AC and lo and behold. Another leak...

I do not know if it requires removal of any steering lines to remove the AC compressor or high pressure hose on the AC, but am open for anyone to chime in on the subject if you want.

What I don't understand is after tightening ALL OF my bolts on the steering rack, I still have a freaking tiny leak on the floor. Looks like I am going to need a new rack as well. Will check the steering assembly this weekend if time permits to make sure this is not the case.

I hope its something else...
Old 03-31-2015, 11:38 AM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

The AC pump is on the lower passenger side and the steering box is on the lower drivers side. The rack does extend across the front of the crossmember, so they could have possibly removed the mounting bolts to make AC pump access easier.

That steering rack is a pain to work on. If you end up replacing it, think ahead and check your balancer to see if it needs replacing also. Another thought, if you ever wanted to change the cam this is also the time to do it. A major portion of the work is moving the steering rack out of the way of the balancer.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:01 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Also check the sensor wires and O-Ring where they exit the power steering rack; I had one that would leak just enough to leave a small spot on the garage floor. I wound up having to remove the rack and used JB Weld and some good silicone to seal it up......I know, its a little Micky Mouse but it was still holding when I traded off the car
Old 05-21-2015, 10:15 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ahmer
Finally got my car back from Chevy after getting a new AC compressor, new ABS harnesses behind the seats (my airbag light was persistent) and a new high pressure hose for my AC and lo and behold. Another leak...

I do not know if it requires removal of any steering lines to remove the AC compressor or high pressure hose on the AC, but am open for anyone to chime in on the subject if you want.

What I don't understand is after tightening ALL OF my bolts on the steering rack, I still have a freaking tiny leak on the floor. Looks like I am going to need a new rack as well. Will check the steering assembly this weekend if time permits to make sure this is not the case.

I hope its something else...
My car was raised at the dealer getting a new harmonic balancer and the tech showed me the leak was around the seal on the shaft of the NEW pump I just placed!!!

Good thing for warranty from Advance Auto. Will change this out.

In the meantime, I need to find out if anyone knows what the sizes of all the orings are... 26001594 is the part number, but this is for 1???
Old 05-18-2021, 02:49 PM
FS1968
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Rack wires leaking

Hello!

Thank you so much for reading my message...

Could you be so kind to let me know how to fix the leaking coming from the wires on the rack?, I’ve red you use to do it from the outside, y was wondering to drain the whole system and apply some sealing around, but not sure if the plastic piece with the wires is just inserted, or screwed , so not sure if to pull or to turn to separate it a little bit in order to put some sealer underneath, your advice will be appreciated...

Originally Posted by AVB
Unfortunately, new OEM isn't available anymore so, if you could get a used, low-mileage OEM unit to replace it with, that would be my suggestion.

Otherwise, I've used and the folks in the autocross/race section highly recommend: http://www.turnone-steering.com/

One thing to keep in mind... if it's leaking where the wire's come out of it, a rebuild isn't going to fix that. I've had some success with sealing it from the outside but, at that point, going with that replacement even with a rebuilt unit locally with a warranty may be better choice. Especially, if you can do your own swaps.
The following users liked this post:
Drift Vette (09-28-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering rack leak

Quick Reply: Power steering rack leak