C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Traction Control ,active handling,etc, etc-7 dealer visits so far

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:06 PM
DRMAYER2020
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Service Traction Control ,active handling,etc, etc-7 dealer visits so far

I have a 2012 Centenniel edition GS with 6 spd and 9000 niles that starting displaying the service traction, active handling etc codes after 2000 miles. I've made 7 visits to date to the dealer with replacement of battery, and BCM most recently. Nothing works. Unfortunately it seems a common complaint with C6's. The car displays the codes:
U0100,U0122, U0140. U2100, U2107, U2108, U2105. These apparently are all lost communication codes but no codes pointing to a defective system or part. Car still warrantied and I'm going back for the 7th or eigth time (I've lost count). The messages are: service ride control, service traction system, shocks inoperative, speed limited to 80 mph, service vehicle soon, and lately, low fuel as the gas gauge drops to 0 and resets itself after about 2-3 minuteas of driving. The fuel gauge deal occurs about every third time. Sometimes the service ABS code is thrown.There's never a change in the driveability of the car or activation of the ABS system as some people have seen. The dealer is in contact every time with GM tech support they say, but nothing seems to work. It occurs now about once daily to every other day. Tires and inflation are all good back and front. I'm sure this is redundant for many on the forum but just trying to fish for any new ideas or new eyes on the problem. Thanks in advance for any help.
Dave M.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:19 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

i've researched this same problem that i had both early last year and again early this year. plus researching for others.

i can only say two things...

1) you are lucky to have full warrenty
2) without full testing equipment (tech2) that they have , your would have to start throwing parts on.

this is what i came up with that can cause the error(s). in your case it seems worse, as usually a C code and it's sub C codes point to the root cause.
List of items that cause the error are.....
Wheel Speed Sensors
Brake Pedal Position Sensor
Brake Fluid Pressure Sensor
Steering Wheel Position Sensor
Yaw Rate Sensor
Lateral Accelerameter Sensor
or... bad contacts/connectors/wiring for one of the above

i doubt seriously the above is all inclusive. in my case, oddly enough, mine throws P0106 code, map sensor. then sah/tc begins. the car gets worse. finally reaching a point where it snorts, coughs, jerks, belches, dies. restarting the problem disappears entirely for , well, 1 year last time... lol

warrenty is your best friend at this point!!!

good luck
Old 02-11-2013, 02:55 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

When you start getting messages that are not related to one another (like in this case the fuel gauge dropping and service engine soon should have nothing to do with traction control and AH) I would suspect a voltage problem causing everything. I would recheck battery and all connections including the positive connection at the starter.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:28 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

If you have been back 7 times, then you have qualified under the lemon law in almost any state...I wouldn't mess with it at this point. Lemon it and get a different one.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
If you have been back 7 times, then you have qualified under the lemon law in almost any state...I wouldn't mess with it at this point. Lemon it and get a different one.
Maybe have them check all of the ground connections, but I'm with cclive on this recommendation too.

Been there, done that, go the T shirt and the hat to prove it.

But before the lemon law, talk to them about a buy back. Get the district rep to come to the dealership, and tell him that you want to make the best of a bad situation.

Try to avoid the lemon law if you can, you should win, but it IS a lot of work. Been there, done that too, on a different vehicle. Arbitration is very time consuming, and most lemon laws get to that point.

They should work with you, they did for me, on a similar problem ridden 2008 that I had, for a buy back.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Try GM customer service here on the forum, they got my dealer attention anf for the most part I'm now happy with the work performed and problem fixed.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by cclive
I wouldn't even bother with the forum cust. svc. people. Do as above, or fill in your profile and maybe someone can suggest another place to go.

There have been some good suggestions here like testing all the ground/charging connections (alternator wasn't mentioned but should be included) and the fact that if there is something wrong they should have found it by now. They haven't.

Fortunately, you have several choices: keep chasing it at the same place; find another; keep your warranty in effect; lemon it.

You may not qualify under lemon laws if you keep jacking around with it; I'd find out now whether you do or don't qualify.

Good luck and tell us how it all turns out.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
When you start getting messages that are not related to one another (like in this case the fuel gauge dropping and service engine soon should have nothing to do with traction control and AH) I would suspect a voltage problem causing everything. I would recheck battery and all connections including the positive connection at the starter.
When you start getting all of those lost communication codes that means the data link or the High Speed LAN is being affected by something. It could be low voltage or it could be a loose connection in the data communication lines. These kinds of problems are intermittent as you know and can be very hard to find as there can be multiple locations and conditions that can cause the failure. Something as simple as a connector male pin that fits too loosely in a female pin can cause the problem and there are a bunch of pins. I attached a description of the procedure from the Service Manual they have to follow to try and locate the issue. If you read the last step in the procedure you can see it is a hail mary pass in the hope it solves the problem. Replacing the BCM may have been the dealer tech's hail mary pass.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-11-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DRMAYER2020
I have a 2012 Centennial Edition GS with 6 spd and 9000 niles that starting displaying the service traction, active handling, etc. codes after 2,000 miles.
What a drag man. Have a twin, and so far so good. May I ask you if you had any accidents, hit a big pothole, or any work done on the car? Have heard several times of people getting alignments and for some reason, they messed up a wheel sensor, causing all kinds of codes, but no wheel sensor code (GM needs to do a better job with the diagnostics). It's unlikely this started happening out of the blues, although possible. I'd almost bet cash money something caused it. Post all work done to the car either by you or a shop, unusually hard hits, etc. One of the experts might give you better clues.

And if you're contemplating the lemon law as an option, check your state laws right away because there're limitations in both mileage and time. In some places is 1 year and 10K miles or less. Other states are much more consumer friendly. Good luck, and please keep us posted.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:24 AM
DRMAYER2020
4th Gear

Interesting point about the hard hit. Bought the car in Tampa and drove it home to Alabama . No problem with the tc warning at all. But I hit a small pothole while making a uturn apparently enought to scrape a place on the outside of the right rear wheel and scrape the tire.
The tv/ah warning occurred a week or 2 later. I thought about the wheel speed sensor but apparently no tech2 codes from there.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

I have a 2012 Centenniel edition GS with 6 spd and 9000 niles that starting displaying the service traction, active handling etc codes after 2000 miles. I've made 7 visits to date to the dealer with replacement of battery, and BCM most recently. Nothing works. Unfortunately it seems a common complaint with C6's. The car displays the codes:
U0100,U0122, U0140. U2100, U2107, U2108, U2105. These apparently are all lost communication codes but no codes pointing to a defective system or part. Car still warrantied and I'm going back for the 7th or eigth time (I've lost count). The messages are: service ride control, service traction system, shocks inoperative, speed limited to 80 mph, service vehicle soon, and lately, low fuel as the gas gauge drops to 0 and resets itself after about 2-3 minuteas of driving. The fuel gauge deal occurs about every third time. Sometimes the service ABS code is thrown.There's never a change in the driveability of the car or activation of the ABS system as some people have seen. The dealer is in contact every time with GM tech support they say, but nothing seems to work. It occurs now about once daily to every other day. Tires and inflation are all good back and front. I'm sure this is redundant for many on the forum but just trying to fish for any new ideas or new eyes on the problem. Thanks in advance for any help.
Dave M.
DRMAYER2020,

Could you please private message me your information (name, number, address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership) so I can check into your situation?

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 02-18-2013, 03:02 PM
DRMAYER2020
4th Gear

Result of 7th vsist to dealer with 2012 Centenniel edition C6- Replacement of the EBCM after a "C" code kicked out indicating an actual physical part rather than the usual "U" codes indicating lost communication between units. No difference. Within 24 hours. TC
and AH and "low fuel" messages kicked out. Also, the same day, it took 5 pushes on the starter button before the car would start. Moving on to visit number 8 or is it seven or 9? I'm not sure. I've lost count.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:12 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Keep detailed records of every visit unless you plan on not doing the lemon law no matter how bad it gets.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Tnyce
Heel & Toe

Result of 7th vsist to dealer with 2012 Centenniel edition C6- Replacement of the EBCM after a "C" code kicked out indicating an actual physical part rather than the usual "U" codes indicating lost communication between units. No difference. Within 24 hours. TC
and AH and "low fuel" messages kicked out. Also, the same day, it took 5 pushes on the starter button before the car would start. Moving on to visit number 8 or is it seven or 9? I'm not sure. I've lost count.
I have the same problem for over 3 years and haven't found a solution yet. I got tired of it and thought about selling it but I didn't want to screw the next guy. The GM dealers are useless when it comes to these things. Please let me know if you have any updates. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Check you state laws. Here in Florida, after three times back to the Stealership for the same problem, the Lemon Law takes effect.

I feel for you problem brother. I suffered through them also. The SAH/STC is the Achillies Heal of these cars. After a few months of experiencing them, I was seriously considering getting a old Hot Rod without any computers.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:43 PM
V8ANGER
Instructor

LEMON IT!!! The third time would have been enough. Sounds like harness issues...

Last edited by V8ANGER; 08-15-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My C6 is displaying the Service Active Handling message. Absolutely zero codes show up using a Tech 2. Car performs with no issues. The battery is new. The little plastic "comb" to better hold the steering column wiring harness, which is what the Service Active Handling Recall offers was installed by the dealer.

Pressing TC button briefly turns TC on or off, and pressing and holding the TC button does nothing other than turning TC on or off.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Get notified of new replies

To Service Traction Control ,active handling,etc, etc-7 dealer visits so far

Old 09-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Silverado Desperado
My C6 is displaying the Service Active Handling message. Absolutely zero codes show up using a Tech 2. Car performs with no issues. The battery is new. The little plastic "comb" to better hold the steering column wiring harness, which is what the Service Active Handling Recall offers was installed by the dealer.

Pressing TC button briefly turns TC on or off, and pressing and holding the TC button does nothing other than turning TC on or off.

There has to be a code. As far as I know the Service Active Handling message is only generated when there is a code in the EBCM. That code might be caused by a problem in the engine controls but a message will be sent to the EBCM telling it there is a problem controlling engine torque which is followed by the EBCM setting a code of its own that says the problem isn't here and turning on the Service Message.

One thing to remember is EBCM codes reset when the engine is turned off so you have to wait until the service message reappears and then use the Tech 2 to scan for codes without turning off the engine.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 09-18-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverado Desperado

If SAH message is on , you have code C0561 stored. Its a default code that just means... "I was told to turn on SAH so i did" , other codes will direct you to problem.
If you cant find C0561 then the code reader device/person is at fault.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/test...post1584857029
Old 09-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
If SAH message is on , you have code C0561 stored. Its a default code that just means... "I was told to turn on SAH so i did" , other codes will direct you to problem.
If you cant find C0561 then the code reader device/person is at fault.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/test...post1584857029
I see a lot of my comments in that thread. However, somebody can get the Service Message without C0561 since that is a specific situation where the engine controls are causing the issue. There are several ABS only codes that indicate a problem with Active Handling that cause the service message to be displayed. Those codes are also shown in the referenced thread.

Bill

Quick Reply: Service Traction Control ,active handling,etc, etc-7 dealer visits so far