C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Coupe - MN6 w/Z51 mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:00 PM
jeffjob
POSSE Senior Hombre
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 211 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '17-'18

Default 09 Coupe - MN6 w/Z51 mod questions

I have a stock 09 coupe, (do have a MGW shifter) that I am going to do some performance mods and could use some help.

I am having a Callaway Honker, Melrose Smoothflow headers and a tune done. The CAI and headers are installed, the tune is not yet completed.

I am considering a comp, (part# 146-456-11) hydraulic roller cam and maybe a Fast Intake.

I am hoping for close to 40hp with the CAI, headers and tune.

How much more hp would the cam and intake get me?

What would be a fair price for the cam, related parts and the install.

Appreciate the help guys, this is not my area of expertise.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:14 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id say youve got some great baseline mods and with that current setup and a decent tune you should be somewhere around 415rwhp...

I had 416rwhp/409tq with a Vararam, Kooks LT, no cats & Z06 mufflers, and ECS tune.

Id highly recommend getting a custom grind cam or something spec'd by PatG (http://www.guerragroup.com/#!camshaft-help/c1mq5) that is designed for your style of driving!
All in all, you should be no more than $2500 install, out the door, parts, labor, and tuning!

Go with a ported TB and Intake manifold over the FAST for LS3's as the FAST doesnt give you gains to justify a $1k price tag! Add another $300-400 for this over the above cam install price.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is do your research on the shop you use to do internal motor work!! They are not all created equal as I learned the hard way when I had a cam install done on my '08 ls3... Ask around about prospective shops and if you hear any bad reviews at all, move to the next
Old 02-11-2013, 05:16 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Just saw you are on the East Coast... not sure if you'd want to travel to NJ but I would highly recommend East Coast Supercharging as I have used them... I have also heard phenomenal things about Cartek in North Jersey
Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 PM
jeffjob
POSSE Senior Hombre
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 211 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '17-'18

Originally Posted by CDaniel525
Id say youve got some great baseline mods and with that current setup and a decent tune you should be somewhere around 415rwhp...

I had 416rwhp/409tq with a Vararam, Kooks LT, no cats & Z06 mufflers, and ECS tune.

Id highly recommend getting a custom grind cam or something spec'd by PatG (http://www.guerragroup.com/#!camshaft-help/c1mq5) that is designed for your style of driving!
All in all, you should be no more than $2500 install, out the door, parts, labor, and tuning!

Go with a ported TB and Intake manifold over the FAST for LS3's as the FAST doesnt give you gains to justify a $1k price tag! Add another $300-400 for this over the above cam install price.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is do your research on the shop you use to do internal motor work!! They are not all created equal as I learned the hard way when I had a cam install done on my '08 ls3... Ask around about prospective shops and if you hear any bad reviews at all, move to the next

I am working with a well respected shop here. They quoted me a little bit higher on the cam. They are known to be a little high but they do excellent work.

What is a custom grind cam?

What HP could I expect from the cam and the intake?

Really appreciate the help!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:28 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jeffjob
I am working with a well respected shop here. They quoted me a little bit higher on the cam. They are known to be a little high but they do excellent work.

What is a custom grind cam?

What HP could I expect from the cam and the intake?

Really appreciate the help!
I dont know about that cam you mentioned in your OP, but most cams that are custom grind cams that are built for higher end HP are getting 485rwhp easily with supporting mods to upwards and beyond 500+

A custom grind cam is a cam that is built specifically for your driving style and intended purpose... All the specs will be designed custom for you and your car. Id highly recommend going to this link and reading - http://www.guerragroup.com/#!camshaft-help/c1mq5

Camshaft Help

​Choosing the correct camshaft for your application varies widely depending upon your vehicle's modifications and its intended use. The camshaft is the mechanical brain of your vehicle. No other component has a more dramatic effect on the engine's efficiency, power, and driveability than the cam.

Because of this, you must choose wisely. Since information is power, the more information we have, the better we can go about selecting the right cam, ideal for your application.

Get notified of new replies

To 09 Coupe - MN6 w/Z51 mod questions

Quick Reply: 09 Coupe - MN6 w/Z51 mod questions