C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 c6 a/c smells musty

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:00 PM
REODAWG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 c6 a/c smells musty

I purchased a in cabin filter but have not installed it yet do you think this is the problem or will i need to replace the a/c filter if there is one ?

thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 05:27 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by REODAWG
I purchased a in cabin filter but have not installed it yet do you think this is the problem or will i need to replace the a/c filter if there is one ?

thanks
generally what i have heard is the the a/c coils start to grow mold. or that the rubber bladder that lets condensation out (in engine compartment between engine and firewall) becomes clogged, causing buildup of water in a/c unit. assuming that you get some drips under car after/during a long run of the a/c, your bladder isnt clogged.
then.. try.. You can try spraying Lysol in the air intake vent with the fans running. That will often cure mild cases. But if the mold has a good toehold in the evaporator core, more aggressive measures will be required.
Also folks state that turning a/c off for 15 minutes and let just air flow before turning off, will help dry it out.

from what i can tell, the air inlet in part #24 and the a/c filter is part #25. #25 is gm part number 15861929. the descrption says.. FILTER,PASS COMPT AIR(CARBON IMPREGNATED FILTER)(DEALER INSTALLED OPTION)(ACDelco #CF131C). So dealer installed option may mean its not there right now??
2005 parts blowup..

see item #7.. http://store.gmpartshouse.com/parts/...agramCallOut=7
Old 02-13-2013, 05:46 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

fyi.. i used to call the a/c drain a bladder, but looking at the 2005 a/c drain, more like just a tube. see #27. if you dont get any water out of the drain during a nice long a/c run, you should be able to remove #27 , if its not clogged

you might be able to poke a flexable wire (?) into the a/c at #27 to see if it gushes and drains. here is what the other side at #27 looks like (the a/c tank area, see at item #24)..
Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 PM
REODAWG
Instructor

thanks but to complex for me i think its a trip to the dealer
Old 02-13-2013, 06:36 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Make sure you have the dealer turn on the "after blow". It takes just a few minuets. My dealer did it for free. It worked for me and others have reported the same thing. When the conditions are right my HVAC blower turns on a few minuets after the engine is shut down and runs for a few minuets. That dries out the system.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:32 PM
REODAWG
Instructor

Thank you both for your replys

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 c6 a/c smells musty

Quick Reply: 2005 c6 a/c smells musty